Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Food for thought

DumfriesYMCA

I have to wonder how much actual development takes place at the collegiate elite level in college. Certainly players refine their skill level. Rom years in coaching, I have only seen a handful of kids that are D1 level players. In seeing how things unfold, the top programs have measurements in mind, and if a kid does not fit, they move on. The thinking is, we can always find that kid next season. Case in point......a receiver was told by a coach in a top program that he needed to be under a 4.5 on his 40 time. He attended several invite only camps throughout the B1G. One school told him at the camp that if he got 4.5 or lower, they would offer on the spot. He ran a 4.55, and came home disappointed with no offer. Coaches at that level want kids to already be at a certain performance level, and will say we don’t have time to develop a kid to get that extra .05 off his time; in fact, we will likely have a kid next season already at that level. 
My other issue is the whole rating system. I have seen kids rated way too high, and kids who should be rated not rated at all. I know some who have parents that spend a LOT of money for the service, so they get rated higher. I would also add that in the Super Bowl between New England and Seattle, that there was not a player on either roster who was a 5 star or top recruit coming out of high school. I think it is purely a game of chance. I would add to that there are a couple of coaches now at Ohio State that Harbaugh had with him at Michigan. Is Harbaugh the problem? I am not in any position to tell. The record in his time there does not pass the eye test if you are a UM fan. There are plenty of teams around the country who would be happy with the record he has, and some would be ecstatic. He has had success at other stops, especially at Stanford, a place that is far more difficult to recruit players to than Michigan is. He even had success on the pro level. So what happened? No idea, but I do think it may be time for UM to start thinking of who is next. 

• Like 1

Harbaughs run has coincided with one of the most dominating college football eras of all time, the 2014-2019 Ohio State Buckeyes

He is clearly getting the recruits

I think we are starting to see a little of the LeBron James Effect in NCAA football

Remember when James starting to recruit free agents to build a super team?

That is now happening at the college football le vel.  5 star recruits can only be found at a select few schools.   Clemson.  Georgia.  OSU.  Alabama.   These four schools are getting over 75% of the 5 star players.   The gap between the Tier 1 teams and the Tier 2 teams is getting wider

The new transfer rules make it e ven easier for the Top schools to hoard all the elite talent.  Kids can bail after one year and not lose eligibility

The NCAA football playoffs are starting to look like the 6A tournament.  Very predictable

I agree with both points.... @DT. Your point really hits home because I was just looking the other day and Archie Manning is a freshman QB for a school in NOLA....so much publicity already (like bronny James only Archie is performing) 

what’s going to happen when he declares his school of choice?   I am willing to bet there will be some 5 star WR and OL guys who will try to immediately commit to that school.  Why?  Because you will have a Manning for a QB and if you’re any bit of that 5 star ranking, you will get the attention from the nfl guaranteed.