Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mr. Football

16 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Maybe I am too lazy to look it up as I am certain it is available, but could someone in the know post Charlie's actual career stats?  I know he went over 10k yards but what are the exact figures in terms of carries, yards, TD's, etc?

(And no I am not advocating it to be a career award as it is exclusive to seniors, so only senior year performances should be used; either way he wins in a landslide.)

Not to beat a dead horse or bring up past arguments but I think that is what rubbed people the wrong way in the past as mentioned two times on this thread.  

I agree that Yeast and Bell had strong cases for the award and possibly "should" have won but many folks looked at the career stats for Johnson (Brownsburg) and Kiser (Pioneer) and voted that way.  I could be completely reaching here but that's how I viewed it anyway.

There's often some disagreement.  I remember thinking Neligh should have won in 2015.  Not that Peter's wasn't deserving,  I just thought Neligh had the better year.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

It will definitely stand for awhile. It will take a RB starting as a Freshman and starting all 4 years to even attempt to break them. Not only that but they have to average great numbers each year.

Not only start as a Freshman, but would need to play in a very run heavy offense (like Charlie did at Delta and NP) to even have a chance. Four year starter in a spread offense that throws it 20 times a game likely has no chance.

18 minutes ago, QB said:

Not only start as a Freshman, but would need to play in a very run heavy offense (like Charlie did at Delta and NP) to even have a chance. Four year starter in a spread offense that throws it 20 times a game likely has no chance.

NP exclusively runs spread and has traditionally thrown 20+ times a game under Coach Ralph, but went run-heavy as giving the rock to #32 was a pretty good offensive option. 

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

There's often some disagreement.  I remember thinking Neligh should have won in 2015.  Not that Peter's wasn't deserving,  I just thought Neligh had the better year.

I also think that some voters fall in love with recruiting services and their "stars."  I think the jury was still out on the New Pal hype train Neligh's senior year...not any more.

57 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Certainly agree Russ had more than enough credentials/accomplishments to win the award and that is why he did receive the Gatorade Player of the Year Award for Indiana.  I think in his case that even though it is supposed to be the best senior, there was no way a one year out of state move in from Ohio was going to receive this award, given Johnson was a 4 year Indiana guy that also had a great year.  So yea...I do think career matters...especially in given situations.  Both were outstanding players, and I believe one could easily make the case for either of them for Mr. Football.  Both outstanding young men.

But "should career matter" in your opinion?

Doesn't matter in the Heisman, NFL MVP, etc...

4 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Certainly agree Russ had more than enough credentials/accomplishments to win the award and that is why he did receive the Gatorade Player of the Year Award for Indiana.  I think in his case that even though it is supposed to be the best senior, there was no way a one year out of state move in from Ohio was going to receive this award, given Johnson was a 4 year Indiana guy that also had a great year.  So yea...I do think career matters...especially in given situations.  Both were outstanding players, and I believe one could easily make the case for either of them for Mr. Football.  Both outstanding young men.

Did Russ Yeast stay at Louisville?  I thought I read he was going to be leaving, then came back, after a few weeks last year??  

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Those numbers will never be broken as long as there is a Mercy Rule.

I tend to agree.  A 4 year starter has to average over 2700 yards per season and 44 TDs per season.  So you'll need a historically great player who stays healthy,  plays in the right system and makes multiple deep playoff runs.  

On 12/4/2019 at 12:48 AM, OldschoolFB said:

From a statistical standpoint,  Charlie is the guy.  In fact, he should and will win.  From a best football player standpoint, there are several players who are on par with him.   One of them is also on NP. The Hook as i like to call him. . Also, Taylor from Chatard, Valpo DE, he is Jr though. Bailey Parker had a huge year.  Archbald from Homestead. Combs from Memorial. Finley from Dwenger.  Carmel LB. DE at New Pal also every bit as important as Charlie.  Cathedral Safety is very good too. I’m sure I’m missing a few but that’s off the top of my head.  However,  Charlie is a once in a generation player who was the perfect player for his teams style of play.   He is also EXTREMELY durable, highly underrated as a blocker and overall football player.  He is hands down the man and if anyone votes for anyone else, they should lose their voting privileges.  

From a statistical standpoint,  Charlie is the guy.  In fact, he should and will win.  From a best football player standpoint, there are several players who are on par with him.   One of them is also on NP. The Hook as i like to call him. . Also, Taylor from Chatard, Valpo DE, he is Jr though. Bailey Parker had a huge year.  Archbald from Homestead. Combs from Memorial. Finley from Dwenger.  Carmel LB. DE at New Pal also every bit as important as Charlie.  Cathedral Safety is very good too. I’m sure I’m missing a few but that’s off the top of my head.  However,  Charlie is a once in a generation player who was the perfect player for his teams style of play.   He is also EXTREMELY durable, highly underrated as a blocker and overall football player.  He is hands down the man and if anyone votes for anyone else, they should lose their voting privileges.  

I have to agree with you, the one number that bothers me about Charlie is his age. It says he is 19, some say he is almost 20. How was he eligible to play his senior year? What is the ihssa rule on age? Back in the 1980s you could not be 19 before you started your senior   year. 

I guess my point is he is a man playing against mostly kids. 

• Disdain 4

15 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

I have to agree with you, the one number that bothers me about Charlie is his age. It says he is 19, some say he is almost 20. How was he eligible to play his senior year? What is the ihssa rule on age? Back in the 1980s you could not be 19 before you started your senior   year. 

This has been discussed ad nauseam in a prior thread. Spegal was/is fully eligible to play with no doubts.

image.png.826cf8ec4bde67f1c5591254b3a1216f.png

Edited by FastpacedO

45 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

Don’t spread a rumor when you don’t know the facts.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mebuck said:

@Coach Nowlin can we start giving bans to some of these pieces of garbage? My goodness, this gets extremely old, and especially from people that obviously have no clue what they are even talking about.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

@Coach Nowlin can we start giving bans to some of these pieces of garbage? My goodness, this gets extremely old, and especially from people that obviously have no clue what they are even talking about.... 

Garbage? His profile on max preps states he is 19. Not starting any rumors. What is his bday? Please forgive me if I didn't see it on any other threads. Obviously the rules have changed. I will move on. Hope he wins it he deserves it. After he is the all time leading rusher.

4 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

Garbage? His profile on max preps states he is 19. Not starting any rumors. What is his bday? Please forgive me if I didn't see it on any other threads. Obviously the rules have changed. I will move on. Hope he wins it he deserves it. After he is the all time leading rusher.

He’s nowhere near 20... not even close.. being 19 is being a grown adult? Not much difference in a kid being 18 and a kid being 19... I wouldn’t call someone that’s 18 a kid and a person that’s 19 an adult.. If the kid was 21 I would question what the hell is going on LOL. I guess I was just surprised that you would bring it up, because 99.9% of your posts are extremely insightful, but I understand if you hadn’t seen the other 3 threads that were locked by Coach because of this exact topic. 

Edited by Olympian06

1 hour ago, CaptainHook said:

Don’t spread a rumor when you don’t know the facts.

His profile on Max preps says he is 19. Is that not fact? Not starting any rumor. The guy is good. The only state game I watched was the 5A because I heard about him all that week. I thought he looked like a man so I googled him and it said he was 19. 

Has a Junior ever win this prestigious award??

3 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Know the rules before making an idiotic post like this.  You even admitted you didn’t know them and still made a fool of yourself.

Re: Charlie’s age.... If he started school late or was held back what's the deal?  I promise we all know people that started school late Or were held back at some point.  I would guess if he was held back at some point it was when he was in elementary school and NO ONE knew what kind of football player he would turn in to.  I have an October birthday.  If I was held back at any point I would have been well over 19 when I graduated high school. 

Edited by 1st_and_10

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

This is what I have to say about Charlie Spegal 

"Heavy is the Head that wears the Crown"   

Very true. He was eligible.  Therefore, it doesn’t matter if he turns 20 this school year or not.   He is still the record holder and likely will be for a very very very long times.  Personally, I would not let the comments bother me If he was on my team.    It actually seems to give the appearance of validity to the gripe about his age.  If he is within the rules, he’s within the rules.  Having said that, the loyalty amongst the New Pal guys on here is something to be admired.  You want everyone associated with the program to be at their best and want the best for each other.   Coach Ralph has created a true team from the players on up to the parents.