Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How much does class size matter

Regarding recruitment at the next level, there are always examples of 1A-3A standouts who get few if any looks by D1 or even decent D2 programs.  My assumption is, yes he is a stud...a 1A (or 2A or 3A) stud.  Is this a correct assumption?   Of course there are certain players like Jack Kiser or guys who are physical specimens who get recruited but those situations don’t appear to be typical. Do mid-tier and higher D1 coaches focus most of their effort searching for talent in 6A programs?

20 minutes ago, BigTimeDB said:

Regarding recruitment at the next level, there are always examples of 1A-3A standouts who get few if any looks by D1 or even decent D2 programs.  My assumption is, yes he is a stud...a 1A (or 2A or 3A) stud.  Is this a correct assumption?   Of course there are certain players like Jack Kiser or guys who are physical specimens who get recruited but those situations don’t appear to be typical. Do mid-tier and higher D1 coaches focus most of their effort searching for talent in 6A programs?

Maybe years ago..during the 5 class era..now with so many camps..n the travel circuit.. kids can get that exposure.. many times coaches recruit size..not heart..they can mold the frame if the metrics are there..yet one of the goats ran a 5.2 40..i will also add imo if u go to a legit 1a-3a (luers😉) program coaches know where the talent pipeline flows..

Edited by Justasportsfan
Grammatical error
  • Like 1

I wonder if locale of some athletes hurts them also.  It seems that many of the smaller school athletes that get recruited are usually from the Indy area, maybe Fort Wayne or the Region.  I mean the QB from Memorial last year, Lindauer, only had a small D1 offer.  That kids could flat play.  Does the location of athletes' school affect them more so than the school size???

Recruiting is not an exact science, but for the most part, guys who can play get found.  Coaches get fired when players that they fail to recruit go on to do great things elsewhere.  In the climate that we live in today, if you want to be seen, there are great opportunities that exist to preform in front of coaches.  The mega camps that they hold in the summer at places like UIndy and Lindenwood are examples.  The College Exposure Showcase event this weekend at the Colt's facility is another.  There will be coaches from several levels, and several states in attendance to see 175+ young men showcase their skills.

The bottom line is that recruiting has evolved tremendously over the last 15 years.  Right now more than ever, if a player wants to be seen, they have every opportunity to do so.  From participating in camps and combines, to getting highlights out on social media, probably the least important part of recruiting is where you live and the size of the school you play at.

• Like 1

One question every recruiter asks when they visit a school is.....is there a kid in any other program we should know about? 
For the life of me, I cannot remember the kid’s name, but he played at Gary West. I was an assistant at Cathedral at the time. We had no film on them because they do not film their games. We spent the week as coaches trying to find anything.....TV highlights,, looking at teams they played, and who MIGHT have film. Finding film on this kid would have been a challenge. Anyway, as IU recruiters were traveling, the kid was mentioned. If I remember right, they had a limited number of opponents, and played the other Gary schools twice. The bottom line of this all is that the kid ended up with a full ride to IU, and even saw playing time. Trust that coaching is a HUGE network. I cannot imagine a coach purposely avoid mentioning a kid because he plays for a rival, or even a coach he does not like. If a kid is talented, he will be found.....class does not matter. 

• Like 2