Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Contraction Update - The March to 280 Continues

Guest DT

I think the bigger problem for many school is the lack of opportunities for many of the smaller and poorer school districts.

A good way to equalize this would be to follow the recommendation of the Kernan-Shepherd report which suggests that all school cooperations have at least 2000 to 4000 students per corporation.  This will help to equalize resources and opportunities for all.  Maybe back to three class football...who knows.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I think the bigger problem for many school is the lack of opportunities for many of the smaller and poorer school districts.

A good way to equalize this would be to follow the recommendation of the Kernan-Shepherd report which suggests that all school cooperations have at least 2000 to 4000 students per corporation.  This will help to equalize resources and opportunities for all.  Maybe back to three class football...who knows.

Three class football?  Some people’s  heads would explode...

Edited by Gipper

The problem is that there was lies, saying certain teams are contracting.  Straight up lies, and he makes these post and the person in charge just lets him do it.  Don't go after some people and then not after your boys.  I guess it is a matter of who make your forum tick right...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BearsGold55 said:

The problem is that there was lies, saying certain teams are contracting.  Straight up lies, and he makes these post and the person in charge just lets him do it.  Don't go after some people and then not after your boys.  I guess it is a matter of who make your forum tick right...

In defense of said poster (which I can't believe I'm doing) who I think you're referring to, it's just a miscommunication.  I'm pretty sure I've seen him say he looks at records and determines who lives, and this case, who dies.  The supposed "Contraction List" is his mind only and sure as hell not at the IHSAA.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, DT said:

You guys are mean

What do the students want?

Shouldn't they have a voice in this?

You call those guys mean but you are wanting schools to cancel cuz their teams suck. Basically you are saying they suck. 

Elkhart Memorial And Hammond schools would have had teams had their schools not closed. 

Thats not contraction you bafoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

You call those guys mean but you are wanting schools to cancel cuz their teams suck. Basically you are saying they suck. 

Elkhart Memorial And Hammond schools would have had teams had their schools not closed. 

I think there is a general misunderstanding or misconception that Indiana high schools "owe" their students the right to play tackle football

Approximately 25% of the high schools in Indiana have already decided that football is not to be a part of their athletic menu

Many schools don't offer swimming, golf, wrestling, tennis, show choir, etc.   Why should football be any different?   The long term physical and mental damage caused by football is much more significant than any other the previously mentioned activities.  Yet we hear no one whining about Johnny Football missing out on his other high school opportunities because a school just might be considering contracting its program for a multitude of reasons

High school football is eroding in Indiana.  The core is solid, but the erosion is advancing around the edges in rural areas, rust belt and former industrial zones, and suburban areas where the growing power of women in the household is influencing participation decisions to a much greater degree than it did a decade ago

4 hours ago, DT said:

I think there is a general misunderstanding or misconception that Indiana high schools "owe" their students the right to play tackle football

Approximately 25% of the high schools in Indiana have already decided that football is not to be a part of their athletic menu

Many schools don't offer swimming, golf, wrestling, tennis, show choir, etc.   Why should football be any different?   The long term physical and mental damage caused by football is much more significant than any other the previously mentioned activities.  Yet we hear no one whining about Johnny Football missing out on his other high school opportunities because a school just might be considering contracting its program for a multitude of reasons

High school football is eroding in Indiana.  The core is solid, but the erosion is advancing around the edges in rural areas, rust belt and former industrial zones, and suburban areas where the growing power of women in the household is influencing participation decisions to a much greater degree than it did a decade ago

And therein lies the rub  ... in your second line you stated that the SCHOOLS DECIDED that football is not part of their athletic menu.  DECIDE!!!!  You've been pitching out policies about what should mandate or force schools to contract or shutter their programs.  It's their decision and should be theirs alone.

And now it's the growing power of women in the household having a detrimental impact on Indiana football? Seriously?  What's next?  An attempt to "contract" the 19th Amendment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disdain 1

16 minutes ago, foxbat said:

And therein lies the rub  ... in your second line you stated that the SCHOOLS DECIDED that football is not part of their athletic menu.  DECIDE!!!!  You've been pitching out policies about what should mandate or force schools to contract or shutter their programs.  It's their decision and should be theirs alone.

And now it's the growing power of women in the household having a detrimental impact on Indiana football? Seriously?  What's next?  An attempt to "contract" the 19th Amendment?

Interesting, isn't it?  There's an interesting thread on another forum here on proper dress.  We as humans are stuck in the past at times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

Teams do suck at times, that’s a given.  But I don’t think these so called “sucky teams” will be stuck in first gear forever.  Why punish a program for a few bad years?

• Thanks 1

Contraction... I am not for it.  I can understand not fielding a team if you simply never have the numbers to compete.  I like how in Illinois you have small schools within the same district combine in co-ops to be able to field a team, and give the kids who love to play the game... play. win or lose, they are playing a sport they love without have to change schools to do so.

If we are talking teams that just lose and lose, and therefore should just drop football or contract into another bigger school...

I know there have been runs for schools where they were perennial losers, and yet eventually have turned the tide.  And I know there are  team around today that are on tough times that were once powerhouses.  My old man used to tell me Perry Central took a long time to get where they were a 1A power.  North Central (Farmersburg) won 4 games in 5 years (3 of those against Union-Dugger) from '94-'98 but eventually started turning the tide with 8 and 9 win seasons, and last year reaching regionals for the 1st time.  Obviously Eastern Greene won 11 games in their first 8 years before at least reaching .500 status and eventually a state runner up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Contraction... I am not for it.  I can understand not fielding a team if you simply never have the numbers to compete.  I like how in Illinois you have small schools within the same district combine in co-ops to be able to field a team, and give the kids who love to play the game... play. win or lose, they are playing a sport they love without have to change schools to do so.

If we are talking teams that just lose and lose, and therefore should just drop football or contract into another bigger school...

I know there have been runs for schools where they were perennial losers, and yet eventually have turned the tide.  And I know there are  team around today that are on tough times that were once powerhouses.  My old man used to tell me Perry Central took a long time to get where they were a 1A power.  North Central (Farmersburg) won 4 games in 5 years (3 of those against Union-Dugger) from '94-'98 but eventually started turning the tide with 8 and 9 win seasons, and last year reaching regionals for the 1st time.  Obviously Eastern Greene won 11 games in their first 8 years before at least reaching .500 status and eventually a state runner up.

Brilliant!

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

GIDFoxbatWhining.thumb.jpg.9dad846d6ac0a378776e66a45621eecd.jpg

Hmm. Not exactly what I expected from one of the GID's cognoscenti,  not being able to back up their statements with verifiable facts.  Very reactionary.

Must have me confused with someone else.  I'm the guy who's not a big fan of high school debate shtick tactics.

Speaking of reactionary ... image.png.65d32a9c41ee34213f6126c807b2a456.png

Edited by foxbat

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

IFCA surveyed Schools for 8 man this past winter, be interesting see where that goes, if anywhere, if you declare to do 8 man, can you get back to 11 man, lots of questions..... 

How much will 8-man football deplete 1A and then the ripple effect that follows? 

• Like 1

Just now, MICFan34 said:

How much will 8-man football deplete 1A and then the ripple effect that follows? 

at this stage:

1)  No idea the survey results, maybe not much traction for it as it stands anyways

2)  If it was to get going, I am sure there would new way to slice the IHSAA football Classification Pie 

3)  So many other questions to be answered I am sure