Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Top 25 Programs All-Time

With the amount of hate on this board recently, let’s have something that can be celebrated.

Who are your top 25 programs all-time?  Take some time to think this through before posting.  Post based on:

Quality of Wins

Number of Wins

Number of Titles (Sectional through State)

Number of Players playing in the next level

Any other factors you want to consider

You don’t need to explain yourself unless you want to, it’s your opinion.  We’ll then post final results of what the GID posters see as the top 25 programs of all-time on February 1, 2020

• Like 1

I used a number of different things when I put this list together.. 

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1. Cathedral
  2. Ben Davis
  3. Chatard
  4. Warren Central
  5. FW Dwenger
  6. Evansville Mater Dei
  7. Penn
  8. FW Luers
  9. FW Snider
  10. Carmel
  11. Center Grove
  12. Columbus East
  13. Roncalli
  14. East Central
  15. Hobart
  16. Andrean
  17. LCC
  18. Sheridan
  19. Jimtown
  20. Ritter
  21. Tri-West
  22. New Pal
  23. Northwood
  24. Heritage Hills
  25. Webo (Homer Pick 😉
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1. Cathedral
  2. Ben Davis
  3. Chatard
  4. Warren Central
  5. FW Dwenger
  6. Evansville Mater Dei
  7. Penn
  8. FW Luers
  9. FW Snider
  10. Carmel
  11. Center Grove
  12. Columbus East
  13. Roncalli
  14. East Central
  15. Hobart
  16. Andrean
  17. LCC
  18. Sheridan
  19. Jimtown
  20. Ritter
  21. Tri-West
  22. New Pal
  23. Northwood
  24. Heritage Hills
  25. Webo (Homer Pick 😉

I would agree with a majority of those.. you can twist and turn them anyway you want.. but that’s a strong 25... I might also add Evansville Reitz and Memorial. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at the top teams in the extreme Southwestern part of the state basically SIAC, Big Eight and PAC and if you used the success formula giving 4 points for state, 3 for semi, 2 for Reg and 1 for Sec the top teams in this area in order would be in order . 

1.Mater Dei

2.Memorial

3.Jasper

4.Heritage Hills

5.Reitz

6.Castle

7.Southridge

I'm too lazy to check the top 25 statewide using that formula.

5 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1. Cathedral
  2. Ben Davis
  3. Chatard
  4. Warren Central
  5. FW Dwenger
  6. Evansville Mater Dei
  7. Penn
  8. FW Luers
  9. FW Snider
  10. Carmel
  11. Center Grove
  12. Columbus East
  13. Roncalli
  14. East Central
  15. Hobart
  16. Andrean
  17. LCC
  18. Sheridan
  19. Jimtown
  20. Ritter
  21. Tri-West
  22. New Pal
  23. Northwood
  24. Heritage Hills
  25. Webo (Homer Pick 😉

Hard to be critical here as I don’t know your criteria and I have yet to come my own but I’d think Carmel is a bit low.  Nine state championships and 7 runner up teams (all at the highest level of competition if I am not mistaken) is tough to match.

2 hours ago, DaveMosbey said:

I was looking at the top teams in the extreme Southwestern part of the state basically SIAC, Big Eight and PAC and if you used the success formula giving 4 points for state, 3 for semi, 2 for Reg and 1 for Sec the top teams in this area in order would be in order . 

1.Mater Dei

2.Memorial

3.Jasper

4.Heritage Hills

5.Reitz

6.Castle

7.Southridge

I'm too lazy to check the top 25 statewide using that formula.

Interesting formula that poses an interesting question:  Should the value of a state title be more?   Would you rather win 2 state titles and those be your only deep runs in the playoffs or win 15 sectionals and maybe get to LOS only once and loose?   (Coming from a MD grad)

8 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1. Cathedral
  2. Ben Davis
  3. Chatard
  4. Warren Central
  5. FW Dwenger
  6. Evansville Mater Dei
  7. Penn
  8. FW Luers
  9. FW Snider
  10. Carmel
  11. Center Grove
  12. Columbus East
  13. Roncalli
  14. East Central
  15. Hobart
  16. Andrean
  17. LCC
  18. Sheridan
  19. Jimtown
  20. Ritter
  21. Tri-West
  22. New Pal
  23. Northwood
  24. Heritage Hills
  25. Webo (Homer Pick 😉

Can you rank Hobart and not have Franklin Central?  Hobart made a run this year, but most of their glory days are around the same time as FC's.  Same amount of titles, a few less runner up.

6 minutes ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Am I the only one that understands what NO PARTICULAR ORDER means?

Lol, apparently. I missed it. I think I was anxious to see the top 25, therefore skipping over the big black bold part.  I mean, it would be kind of hard to argue the order in which he has it. A few tweaks here and there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, superjay said:

Mater Dei, Penn, Columbus East too high.

Sheridan, LCC,  Tri-West too low

12 hours ago, Temptation said:

Hard to be critical here as I don’t know your criteria and I have yet to come my own but I’d think Carmel is a bit low.  Nine state championships and 7 runner up teams (all at the highest level of competition if I am not mistaken) is tough to match.

They weren't in 1-25 order... Just as I they came off the top of my head... Hence the NO PARTICULAR ORDER... Just 25 programs... 

• Haha 1

When I started looking at this and putting it together I went and looked at past historical tournament success... Sectionals, Regionals, Semi-States, State Championships and then try to put together what I thought were the best 25 programs.  I think most would probably agree with 20/25 and the last 5 would be the debateable teams.  It's all opinion based off of what criteria you use. 

Looking forward to seeing others.... 

I think you need to take a look at Rensselaer Central High School as a member of this list.  total wins, NFL player, state championship and who can debate their line of coaches that have went through their halls as a student/athlete or teacher/coach.

OK coach Nowlin here is your chance to toot your schools horn!

Edited by Major
Add last sentance
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

They weren't in 1-25 order... Just as I they came off the top of my head... Hence the NO PARTICULAR ORDER... Just 25 programs... 

Considering you created that list off the top of your head and glancing at past tournament success, the list looks pretty darn good. This is a fun topic, so thank you for the research you did in preparing this thread. I'm in the process of applying a scoring system to the 25 teams you mentioned and a few more. I hope to post my findings on a Top 25 in the next 24 hours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Major said:

I think you need to take a look at Rensselaer Central High School as a member of this list.  total wins, NFL player, state championship and who can debate their line of coaches that have went through their halls as a student/athlete or teacher/coach.

OK coach Nowlin here is your chance to toot your schools horn!

MY MAN!!

600 Program wins (602 to be exact) good for 12th All Time in the State!   Coming after Hammond next !! :classic_biggrin:

NFL Player:  Danny Brandenburg, Former Indiana St stud, drafted by the Bills, then played for the Eagles after a few years

State Title

4 Regional Titles 

2 Teams back in the day that were not in any post season play:  1954 and 1977 teams both went undefeated 

Long list of Bomber Coaches:   apologies for poor spelling

George Gilbert, RCHS Grad, 

Dale Hummer, DeKalb HC great

Bill Siderwitz, Martinsville HC Great 

Joe Burvan,  Wrestling HOF, gym named after him

This one guy, you all may have heard of him:  Chris Geesman, former Bomber HC in the 60s

Steve Brandenburg, recent inductee into Indiana HS Hall Of Fame

Geesman, Siderwitz, Hummer, were all on the same staff in the 60s.   

This Chris Meeks fella, not too shabby, clearly I am biased, but he is off to a pretty decent start, still a youngster !!!  Plenty of sound left coming from his Whistle!!

Coach: Chris Meeks, 168-85 in 22nd year at school

I am sure I am missing many others 

Chicago Bears training camp held at SJC, so that has added to some history as well.

Because we finally got that State Title in 2014, I believe you can officially have the Bombers in the top 20 discussion !! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

MY MAN!!

600 Program wins (602 to be exact) good for 12th All Time in the State!   Coming after Hammond next !! :classic_biggrin:

You forgot Official Indiana High School of the Wagonmaster!  That alone probably puts them in the Top 25. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1