Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Bend Next Contraction Target

Guest DT

4 minutes ago, DT said:

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/education/south-bend-school-leaders-face-prospect-of-closing-buildings-including/article_0bd61de7-ce96-539f-b815-53b6fa0463a2.html

Admins are targeting one high school for closure.  based on current occupancy, maybe South Bend should follow the Hammond model and close two schools, consolidating down to two.

Can Mayor Pete help his city or nah?

I will be very suprised if they make any decision before the end of the school year.

If they do, my proposal would be to close Clay and Washington and combine them at LaSalle.  It has the capacity to hold that many students while still giving a presence on the West Side.

They are trying to get a referendum on the ballot for more property tax increases.  I doubt if that will pass.

• Like 1

Just now, DannEllenwood said:

The enrollment declines in these high schools are startling.  Based on location, maybe Riley will be the one to close

Just now, DannEllenwood said:

The local government has had nothing to do the school.  That has been a long standing tradition.

Just now, DT said:

The enrollment declines in these high schools are startling.  Based on location, maybe Riley will be the one to close

They will not close Riley because that is the newest building.  Combining Clay and Washington will continue to give a presence on the North and West Sides

Just now, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The local government has had nothing to do the school.  That has been a long standing tradition.

Why are Riley and Adams so close together?

2 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I will be very suprised if they make any decision before the end of the school year.

If they do, my proposal would be to close Clay and Washington and combine them at LaSalle.  It has the capacity to hold that many students while still giving a presence on the West Side.

They are trying to get a referendum on the ballot for more property tax increases.  I doubt if that will pass.

Would you bring back the La Salle name?

Just now, DT said:

Why are Riley and Adams so close together?

South Bend's first high school was Central...Riley became a high school in the early 30's, Washington in the late 30's, and Adams in the early 40's.   I believe it is where the patron of the East Side wanted their school built.   Interesting side note, the Adams building was ready to be sold to IUSB back in the 80's, however, the wealth alumni refused to let that happen,

I was looking at the system enrollment numbers comparison been South Bend and Hammond

South Bend has approx 16000 students.  Hammond has 12000

Hammond has chosen to consolidate from 4 high schools down to 2.   There are projected to be 1850 students in each of the two schools, Hammond High in the West and Morton on the east side of town

Using the same ratio (3700 HS students / 12000 total students = 31%) of high schools students in both cities, South Bend would have approximately 4960 HS students

Would South Bend residents prefer two high schools with 2500 students each or 3 high schools with 1665 each?    Keep in mind the considerable budget deficits projected by the city. Also keep in mind that buildings are already in place to handle 5000 high school students in two buildings

Edited by DT

5 hours ago, DT said:

I was looking at the system enrollment numbers comparison been South Bend and Hammond

South Bend has approx 16000 students.  Hammond has 12000

Hammond has chosen to consolidate from 4 high schools down to 2.   There are projected to be 1850 students in each of the two schools, Hammond High in the West and Morton on the east side of town

Using the same ratio (3700 HS students / 12000 total students = 31%) of high schools students in both cities, South Bend would have approximately 4960 HS students

Would South Bend residents prefer two high schools with 2500 students each or 3 high schools with 1665 each?    Keep in mind the considerable budget deficits projected by the city. Also keep in mind that buildings are already in place to handle 5000 high school students in two buildings

South Bend residences just want the school cooperation to be fiscally responsible while maintaing current programs.  It is an impossible task.  Because school buildings can be purchased by charter schools for $1, there will be no new revenue from buildings being sold.

I think they would want three school, they already have buildings for schools that size.  I think there would be Adams (about 1900 students), LaSalle (Clay/Washington) (about 1600 students), and Riley (about 1400)

There will be some junior high and elementary closing as well

10 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

South Bend residences just want the school cooperation to be fiscally responsible while maintaing current programs.  It is an impossible task.  Because school buildings can be purchased by charter schools for $1, there will be no new revenue from buildings being sold.

I think they would want three school, they already have buildings for schools that size.  I think there would be Adams (about 1900 students), LaSalle (Clay/Washington) (about 1600 students), and Riley (about 1400)

There will be some junior high and elementary closing as well

That $1 thing is a stupid idea, when was that put in place and by who. I think I can guess who, but want to see if someone has the facts on that before I spout out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, psaboy said:

That $1 thing is a stupid idea, when was that put in place and by who. I think I can guess who, but want to see if someone has the facts on that before I spout out.

Valdemort?  I'm pretty sure it has Bennett's fingerprints, if not full handprint, on it.  Follow the money.

6 hours ago, psaboy said:

It was a creation of the legislature when they got the supermajority and went full-bore with the Mitch Daniels/Tony Bennett butcher knife reforms. 

If Daniels & Bennett had their way, every single public school would've been converted to a charter school (and it's even been written in the law that any public school can voluntarily convert to a charter at any time). 

42 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

It was a creation of the legislature when they got the supermajority and went full-bore with the Mitch Daniels/Tony Bennett butcher knife reforms. 

If Daniels & Bennett had their way, every single public school would've been converted to a charter school (and it's even been written in the law that any public school can voluntarily convert to a charter at any time). 

That is exactly what I thought, Daniels and his "crooked" buddy Bennett. The public schools will never recover from the dumb idea. The Indiana public education program is a sore eye for the state.

• Like 1

Just as a point of reference, when the South Bend Schools decided to change their school day, it was thought about for months.  It did not become official until less than two weeks before the beginning of school.  This lead to many problems at the beginning of that school year.

That is how South Bend Operates.   So don't be surprised if the same timeline comes down for consolidation of schools...if at all

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Had not thought of this, but it is a great idea, LL.  Keeping both sides happy is going to be the challenge and this idea makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, in South Bend this might make too much sense.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:52 PM, crimsonace1 said:

The ultimate goal should be to get government out the education business entirely.  Unfortunately for the state of Indiana that would probably require an amendment to the state constitution to effectively remove Article 8.

• Disdain 2
  • Kill me now 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:23 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Just as a point of reference, when the South Bend Schools decided to change their school day, it was thought about for months.  It did not become official until less than two weeks before the beginning of school.  This lead to many problems at the beginning of that school year.

That is how South Bend Operates.   So don't be surprised if the same timeline comes down for consolidation of schools...if at all

Public school.  Relying on parents to send their kids there.  Funded by tax payer dollars.  And this is how they handled that situation?  

On 12/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, XStar said:

Why start now?

Watch out X, UW is full of thumbs downs to hand out.  😉

27 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Public school.  Relying on parents to send their kids there.  Funded by tax payer dollars.  And this is how they handled that situation?  

That's ok.  I know how to use them as well!

I live in South Bend.  Work downtown.  Vote in city elections.  Pay property taxes here.  If anyone would like to debate me on Mayor Pete's record in South Bend, I'd be more than happy to engage them fully on the matter in a more appropriate forum.  I'm fairly comfortable I can speak to it better than most anyone who doesn't live here and particularly those that have only come to learn his name in the past year.

If they want to get in a silly cycle of down-voting one another, I'm game for that too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:24 AM, DannEllenwood said:

Hes the one that started voting me down 😅😅😅

• Like 1