Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pickerington Central Tops Elder for Ohio D1 Title

Guest DT

5 hours ago, DT said:

Shouldn't this be titled Time to fix the broken D1 Tournament?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, DT said:

Their 2nd Title in 3 years. Their QB has had a a great career for the Tigers. Watched him play as a Soph against Cathedral in 2017. The game last night was a good one. The Tigers were down 14-7 after 3 qtrs and threw 2 TD's in the 4th to win 21-14. Cathedral played at Elder this year (was an OT game Elder won 38-31) and Pickerington Central played at Columbus East (20-14 Pick Central won)

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Their 2nd Title in 3 years. Their QB has had a a great career for the Tigers. Watched him play as a Soph against Cathedral in 2017. The game last night was a good one. The Tigers were down 14-7 after 3 qtrs and threw 2 TD's in the 4th to win 21-14. Cathedral played at Elder this year (was an OT game Elder won 38-31) and Pickerington Central played at Columbus East (20-14 Pick Central won)

This result reflects very positively on Columbus East

5 minutes ago, DT said:

CE played a very good game against Pick Central... CE actually didn’t play a terrible game against CG in the sectional.. score ended up being 31-7 but a pick 6 and punt return to start the game was 14 quick ones to CG.. East defense only gave up 17 to CG’s offense.. I was impressed by CE’s team this year, they would have been in semi-state had they been in 5A. They would not have beaten New Pal tho. 

Just now, Olympian06 said:

CE played a very good game against Pick Central... CE actually didn’t play a terrible game against CG in the sectional.. score ended up being 31-7 but a pick 6 and punt return to start the game was 14 quick ones to CG.. East defense only gave up 17 to CG’s offense.. I was impressed by CE’s team this year, they would have been in semi-state had they been in 5A. They would not have beaten New Pal tho. 

Agree 100% Columbus East would have been in the Semi-State instead of Bloomington South. New Pal was an team that nobody was going to beat. Would have been a heck of a road to the finals for New Pal though. Whiteland, Franklin Cathedral, Columbus East, Valparaiso.

13 hours ago, DT said:

Yeah it was clear that East was on and PC was off that night, but still a very good showing for CE regardless. PC was up 20-0 it was clear East was playing very well but physically outmatched. In the end PC barely made a 4th and 1 with about a minute on the clock close to the 50 yard line to clinch the victory 20-14.

I'd have preferred that effort in the playoffs but it was a well played game either way. My buddies and I were amazed at the outcome. PC  had 6'3" 230 ends, slightly smaller LBs. QB clearly had talent but was off and done amazing receivers and good running back. I still don't know how that was a game. I've never seen a team against East near as talented including great Cathedral, New Palestibe, and Center Grove teams we've played over the years. 

Side note:  Trinity (KY) plays Male for the Kentucky 6A title TODAY (weird?) in Lexington.

They play two games on Friday, three on Saturday and ONE on Sunday?

Trinity went 2-1 against Indiana powers this year as they crushed Carmel, narrowly defeated Warren and were throttled by Cathedral.

THIS speaks volumes about New Pal...

9 hours ago, Olympian99 said:

Yeah it was clear that East was on and PC was off that night, but still a very good showing for CE regardless. PC was up 20-0 it was clear East was playing very well but physically outmatched. In the end PC barely made a 4th and 1 with about a minute on the clock close to the 50 yard line to clinch the victory 20-14.

I'd have preferred that effort in the playoffs but it was a well played game either way. My buddies and I were amazed at the outcome. PC  had 6'3" 230 ends, slightly smaller LBs. QB clearly had talent but was off and done amazing receivers and good running back. I still don't know how that was a game. I've never seen a team against East near as talented including great Cathedral, New Palestibe, and Center Grove teams we've played over the years. 

Possibly the travel had a little bit of an effect for some of the players being off. 3 and a half hour drive (roughly) for a Friday night game. We see that sometimes when teams choose to make long travel on Friday nights here too. They also may not have fully expected the fight they were going to get from East who can be physical. Pick Central was very talented, they were when I watched them in 2017. The best talented teams I have seen were a couple of St. Edwards teams. In 2006 I made my way to the Herbstreit challenge one Saturday at Nippert University of Cincy. I watched 4 games that day in 2 different sessions.

Byrnes (South Carolina) vs Moeller (Cincy)

Lakeland (Florida) vs St. Xavier (Cincy)

Don Bosco Prep (New Jersey) vs Centerville (OH)

De La Salle (California) vs Elder (Cincy)

Some great games that day. The Lakeland team though HOLY COW I had never watched a team so talented prior or since. Featured Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, Chris Rainey, Ahmad Black, Jamar Taylor,  among others. St. X was pretty stout too. Lakeland ended up winning 25-22 in OT.

14 hours ago, Temptation said:

Side note:  Trinity (KY) plays Male for the Kentucky 6A title TODAY (weird?) in Lexington.

They play two games on Friday, three on Saturday and ONE on Sunday?

Trinity went 2-1 against Indiana powers this year as they crushed Carmel, narrowly defeated Warren and were throttled by Cathedral.

THIS speaks volumes about New Pal...

Trinity dominates previously undefeated Male 28-6...

Speaks even more for New Pal considering it's one, a public school, and two, has less than 1200 students. There have been a handful of HS coaches who have made their way to the upper levels, NCAA traditional DI, and the NFL, I would venture to say that if Ralph wanted it,  he has proven he can do it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DACNUT said:

Speaks even more for New Pal considering it's one, a public school, and two, has less than 1200 students. There have been a handful of HS coaches who have made their way to the upper levels, NCAA traditional DI, and the NFL, I would venture to say that if Ralph wanted it,  he has proven he can do it. 

I guess I don't get why this matters?

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I guess I don't get why this matters?

Don’t be so obtuse.  The advantages of P/P’s are well known/documented/discussed on this very forum.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Temptation said:

Don’t be so obtuse.  The advantages of P/P’s are well known/documented/discussed on this very forum.

10 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Reitz 2007 and 2009 were up there. They smoked Cathedral in 2009 in a year where Cathedral beat Carmel and Warren to start the year.

I. An name several teams that have beaten teams like Cathedral that were public schools. Including: Columbus East, Plainfield, Evansville Reitz, Jasper, Zionsville among others. As someone who is unbiased some of the advantages are perceived advantages. I can tell you first hand a youth league (like Center Grive and New Palestine) can be a huge advantage compared to what some P/P have. When you can have players running their system that long it becomes second nature when they get to HS. I could go more in depth. For the record my son attended a public school.

On 12/8/2019 at 6:10 AM, FastpacedO said:

Possibly the travel had a little bit of an effect for some of the players being off. 3 and a half hour drive (roughly) for a Friday night game. We see that sometimes when teams choose to make long travel on Friday nights here too. They also may not have fully expected the fight they were going to get from East who can be physical. Pick Central was very talented, they were when I watched them in 2017. The best talented teams I have seen were a couple of St. Edwards teams. In 2006 I made my way to the Herbstreit challenge one Saturday at Nippert University of Cincy. I watched 4 games that day in 2 different sessions.

Byrnes (South Carolina) vs Moeller (Cincy)

Lakeland (Florida) vs St. Xavier (Cincy)

Don Bosco Prep (New Jersey) vs Centerville (OH)

De La Salle (California) vs Elder (Cincy)

Some great games that day. The Lakeland team though HOLY COW I had never watched a team so talented prior or since. Featured Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, Chris Rainey, Ahmad Black, Jamar Taylor,  among others. St. X was pretty stout too. Lakeland ended up winning 25-22 in OT.

Luke Kuechly was the FS for for that St. X team.  Loads of NFL talent on that field.  I remember watching that game on TV.  On a side note Chris Sale (Red Sox ace) was also in the graduating class with the Pouncey twins, Rainey and co.  Pretty special group of Dreadnots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eschnur66 said:

Luke Kuechly was the FS for for that St. X team.  Loads of NFL talent on that field.  I remember watching that game on TV.  On a side note Chris Sale (Red Sox ace) was also in the graduating class with the Pouncey twins, Rainey and co.  Pretty special group of Dreadnots.

That St. X team was loaded. We played them a few weeks later and they beat us pretty good. I believe Kuechly was the only sophomore starter but they had a loaded junior class that sent about 6-7 guys D1.