Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

8 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Football players ALWAYS find the field.

Now, if a player (this is example is Spegal) takes the Eric Crouch approach (I know it was the Pros, but you see the correlation) by saying I will ONLY play this position......well then that's on the player.

The kid just seems like a football player.

Hes a helluva football player

But we live in a recruiting and player evaluation world that is defined by strict metrics.

Players are slotted into competitive levels based on their metrics.

Spegal's numbers would designate his competitive profile at the D2, low D1 level.

We tend to live and die by Sagarin around here.  Its no different with player metrics and recruiting ratings.

Spegal's people are rolling the dice and counting on him to be the rare PWO exception to the rule.  The odds are highly stacked against.

Any why would the state's all time leading rusher want to be a special teams player?  That doesn't add up.  

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Hes a helluva football player

But we live in a recruiting and player evaluation world that is defined by strict metrics.

Players are slotted into competitive levels based on their metrics.

Spegal's numbers would designate his competitive profile at the D2, low D1 level.

We tend to live and die by Sagarin around here.  Its no different with player metrics and recruiting ratings.

Spegal's people are rolling the dice and counting on him to be the rare PWO exception to the rule.  The odds are highly stacked against.

Any why would the state's all time leading rusher want to be a special teams player?  That doesn't add up.  

Agreed

True, but so many holes in those metrics (see Drew Brees, Kyler Murray, Darren Sproles, Sam Mills, etc.)

Which is wrong

Disagree.  Unless you are talking about his speed, which I don't know what he runs.  But he has football speed.  His numbers (if you are talking stats) as a RB say he should be the top RB coming out this year.

We does not include me, but I get what you are saying.

I don't know his people so I can't comment.

Don't think anyone wants to be *JUST* a special team player (besides maybe K/P/LS), but that is a VERY important part of the game.  I would presume, many of fb players have earned playing time on O or D due to their efforts on ST.

Comparing young Mr. Spegal to another famous Indiana H.S. running back.   Wasn't young Mr. Kiser red shirted by Notre Dame in addition to being moved to the defensive side of the ball?   Did young Mr. Spegal play any position on defense during his high school career?

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Comparing young Mr. Spegal to another famous Indiana H.S. running back.   Wasn't young Mr. Kiser red shirted by Notre Dame in addition to being moved to the defensive side of the ball?   Did young Mr. Spegal play any position on defense during his high school career?

Kiser was recruited as a defensive player to begin with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Kiser  was recruited as a LB, so that should not be a surprise. And Spegal dabbled at LB and DL at Delta and NP as well as playing special teams.

I don't see any position on the field defensively for Spegal.  

Perhaps if he were to beef up to 290 he could play nose tackle.

2 minutes ago, TheWaterBoii said:

Also Kiser has seen the field and saw it up till cutoff prior to being Redshirted.

Yep.  The new redshirt rule definitely gives more options for evaluating players.  I like the ability for the team and the player to be able to see them in game situations before deciding on a redshirt.

13 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Kiser was a QB

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen him play in person? Or how many complete coaching films have you watched?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Yep.  The new redshirt rule definitely gives more options for evaluating players.  I like the ability for the team and the player to be able to see them in game situations before deciding on a redshirt.

I love it too its a great way to categorize, 

After he flew down the field and made the very first play of the season on the opening kickoff to 2019... I was like please RS this kid.

21 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen him play in person? Or how many complete coaching films have you watched?

Multiple game tapes on recruiting services.  Mostly hilite film.  

From a defensive standpoint, he lacks height for any D position.  His speed and burst are forward motion oriented, so it would be difficult to convert that skillset to the secondary.

I absolutely hate the RPO.  It would be fun to see what Charlie could do running out of an I formation with a fullback in front of him.  His greatest strength is finding holes between the tackles.  Nebraska comes to mind.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Some people's body just can not take that.  I have no idea if his can or can not.

A friend of mine was recruited to Nebraska in their 90's dominance.  He played TE for us at Lake Central.  He was 6'4-6'5 and weighed about 250 lbs. in HS.  He was a tremendous blocker in our Wing-T scheme.  They tried to beef him up to about 290-300 lbs and he had nothing but knee, hip, and back problems at that weight.  He finished his career at Nebraska, but do not believe he ever saw the field.  He does have a free college degree paid though and a ring or two.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Multiple game tapes on recruiting services.  Mostly hilite film.  

From a defensive standpoint, he lacks height for any D position.  His speed and burst are forward motion oriented, so it would be difficult to convert that skillset to the secondary.

I absolutely hate the RPO.  It would be fun to see what Charlie could do running out of an I formation with a fullback in front of him.  His greatest strength is finding holes between the tackles.  Nebraska comes to mind.  

Scott Frost runs a shot gun spread with heavy RPOs.

It aint 1993 anymore.

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/10/25/18016970/scott-frost-offense-nebraska-rpo-heaven

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tiger391 said:

Preferred walk on??? How is he not a scholarship player?

A) He would be a scholarship player elsewhere.  But the in-state P5 people apparently didn’t see him as a great prospect at their level.

B) I’m sure a lot of it comes down to measurables.  They put more stock in that stuff than I would — but, then, they’re the people whose livings are dependent on making these kinds of decisions.

C) Here’s to hoping Charlie proves them wrong!! I know I’ll be pulling for him.  Because I’m tired of seeing so many of our best HS players get the cold shoulder from IU and Purdue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Yeah  Thats unfortunate.  The dumbing down of offensive football.  Hopefully this soon will pass.  

Dumbing down is not what I would call using multiple formations, personal groups and QB reads.

Need smarter players at all offensive positions to run.

• Like 2

Just now, MHSTigerFan said:

A) He would be a scholarship player elsewhere.  But the in-state P5 people apparently didn’t see him as a great prospect at their level.

B) I’m sure a lot of it comes down to measurables.  They put more stock in that stuff than I would — but, then, they’re the people whose livings are dependent on making these kinds of decisions.

C) Here’s to hoping Charlie proves them wrong!! I know I’ll be pulling for him.  Because I’m tired of seeing so many of our best HS players get the cold shoulder from IU and Purdue.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Spegal is ranked #37 top prospect in the state and only the 3rd best prospect on his own team.

He is not getting the cold shoulder.

He is just not considered to be a D1 player

Just now, DT said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Spegal is ranked #37 top prospect in the state and only the 3rd best prospect on his own team.

He is not getting the cold shoulder.

He is just not considered to be a D1 player

Well, I worded that poorly.

I agree that any prospect rated there isn’t getting a cold shoulder from the schools themselves.  I was thinking more about the folks who do these evaluations.

I always get a healthy dose of satisfaction when a high-rated prospect tanks and/or a low-rated prospect thrives.

And while it’s certainly true that the lion’s share of NFL stars came from prestigious programs (they’re more often right than wrong), I love that the arguably best player in NFL history went to Mississippi Valley State.