Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

36 minutes ago, DT said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Spegal is ranked #37 top prospect in the state and only the 3rd best prospect on his own team.

He is not getting the cold shoulder.

He is just not considered to be a D1 player

Find it interesting they list him as a FB. Wonder if IU plans to bulk him up and play him there. Also curious what his 40 is. If they think he can get around 250 and can run they could switch to TE down the line. Regardless recruiting/scouting isnt an exact science. Time will tell. Someone will always say "I told you so" in couple years, but I tend to trust the people who do it for a living. 

2 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Find it interesting they list him as a FB. Wonder if IU plans to bulk him up and play him there. Also curious what his 40 is. If they think he can get around 250 and can run they could switch to TE down the line. Regardless recruiting/scouting isnt an exact science. Time will tell. Someone will always say "I told you so" in couple years, but I tend to trust the people who do it for a living. 

He's 5-9

Would be the shortest TE in NCAA college football history

LOL

Edited by DT

Just now, BARRYOSAMA said:

He is listed at 5'10 or 5'11" on every recruiting site.....including the one you posted....LOL

We all know that recruiting sites tend to "stretch" measurements.  

Either way, he is far from a TE.

13 minutes ago, Hughes said:

Congrats Mr Spegal

I don't think he will see the field as a running back at IU unless in mop up late in his career. The FCS is full of Spegals and got their schooling paid for.

If Charlie was intent on walking on, he should have chosen Wisconsin.  The badger offense is much more suitable to his north-south running style.  And the road graders on the UW line will create much more space than will Indiana's smaller sized bunch.

Coach Ralph himself said that he has never seen a back hit the hole quicker than Spegal.  

Id love to see Charlie run behind the Wisky behemoths.  

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Well, I worded that poorly.

I agree that any prospect rated there isn’t getting a cold shoulder from the schools themselves.  I was thinking more about the folks who do these evaluations.

I always get a healthy dose of satisfaction when a high-rated prospect tanks and/or a low-rated prospect thrives.

And while it’s certainly true that the lion’s share of NFL stars came from prestigious programs (they’re more often right than wrong), I love that the arguably best player in NFL history went to Mississippi Valley State.

Love Deacon Jones.  Tee-hee.

48 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Had a guy like him at Luers a few decades ago.  Went to be a Spartan, but ended up the FB for Anthony Thompson and Vaughn Dunbar.  

40 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

He is listed at 5'10 or 5'11" on every recruiting site.....including the one you posted....LOL

Yeah, go stand next to Blaine Bishop. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

We all know that recruiting sites tend to "stretch" measurements.  

Either way, he is far from a TE.

No we don't.  Often time they are measured, weighed  and timed at combine like events.

Just stop lying to fit your narrative.  

The fact that you thought Nebraska still ran the I formation shows you knowledge.  This just confirms you blowhardedness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

No we don't.  Often time they are measured, weighed  and timed at combine like events.

Just stop lying to fit your narrative.  

The fact that you thought Nebraska still ran the I formation shows you knowledge.  This just confirms you blowhardedness.

Actually, I was thinking of Lawrence Phillips, IM Hipp and Mike Rozier when reminiscing about the vaunted Nebraska I formation.  Maybe Frost should turn back the clock and go back to those days.  He doesn't have the athletes to make the RPO look like Baylor does.

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Actually, I was thinking of Lawrence Phillips, IM Hipp and Mike Rozier when reminiscing about the vaunted Nebraska I formation.  Maybe Frost should turn back the clock and go back to those days.  He doesn't have the athletes to make the RPO look like Baylor does.

Was Spegal offered a walk on spot at Wisky?

4 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

Was Spegal offered a walk on spot at Wisky?

Not sure.  Check with his agent Captain Hook.

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

Indiana State is absolutely D1.....D1 FCS.

Now I know why you don't work for college football recruiting services....qualifications.....

ISU is absolutely scraping the very bottom of the D1 barrel.

7 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Should we talk about all the 3, 4, 5 star recruits that didn't fare so well at a Power 5 team?  You have way more confidence than I do in an assigned rankings.

I'm just glad folks like Brandon Bulsworth, Gary Bracket, Brandon Weeden, Logan Mankins, Jordy Nelson, Adam Archuleta, Rashad Johnson, Colt Brennan, JJ Watt, Santana Moss, Levi Jones, Baker Mayfield, Luke Falk, Hunter Renfrow, Clay Matthews, Joe Schmidt, etc. didn't attend one of your motivational speeches.

I won't argue that it would have been a safer bet to have attended one of the other schools that offered.  But those ranking systems don't measure work ethic, heart, how a person has been raised, etc.  Army offered Charlie...they were ranked in the top 25 last year at season's end and I believe have won bowl games the last three consecutive years....I know a number of Power 5 schools can't say that........

Give 'em hell Charlie!!!!!!!  

Tens of thousands of players have played at the professional level.  The vast majority were highly ranked in their high school years.  There will always be players who are overlooked or flat out missed by the scouts.  But they are getting more rare by the year because scouting and drafting have become such an exact science.

Frankly, Charlie would have a better shot at the NFL if he went to Kent State and rushed for 6000 yards during his varsity career and became a UFA.  The likelihood of him putting up big numbers in Bloomington is quite low.   

Just now, TrojanDad said:

The Sycamores cracked the top 25 in the 2018 rankings and barely missed the FCS playoffs.  They finished 5-7 this year in the toughest conference in FCS....not great but hardly near the bottom.  Curt Mallory has done a great job moving the program forward.

Noted and thanks.  They were awful not long ago.  

4 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Agreed

True, but so many holes in those metrics (see Drew Brees, Kyler Murray, Darren Sproles, Sam Mills, etc.)

Which is wrong

Disagree.  Unless you are talking about his speed, which I don't know what he runs.  But he has football speed.  His numbers (if you are talking stats) as a RB say he should be the top RB coming out this year.

We does not include me, but I get what you are saying.

I don't know his people so I can't comment.

Don't think anyone wants to be *JUST* a special team player (besides maybe K/P/LS), but that is a VERY important part of the game.  I would presume, many of fb players have earned playing time on O or D due to their efforts on ST.

What in the HELL is “football speed?”

Speed is speed.

24 minutes ago, Temptation said:

What in the HELL is “football speed?”

Speed is speed.

Never heard of football speed as opposed to track speed? There's a lot of guys who have straight line speed who can absolutely fly, "track speed". There's others with exceptional short bursts of speed and the ability to cut and change direction on a dime. This is referred to as "football speed".

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Never heard of football speed as opposed to track speed? There's a lot of guys who have straight line speed who can absolutely fly, "track speed". There's others with exceptional short bursts of speed and the ability to cut and change direction on a dime. This is referred to as "football speed".

I have, just never believed in it.  Honestly me of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard...no offense intended towards you at all as I’ve heard others say it too.

The second part of “changing directions on a dime” meets the definition of agility far more than speed

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, DT said:

Not sure.  Check with his agent Captain Hook.

ISU is absolutely scraping the very bottom of the D1 barrel.

You "said" you have watched multiple highlight films from recruiting sites.

I thought you might have had seen something.  Obviously you are just bloviating again.

• Disdain 1

9 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

You "said" you have watched multiple highlight films from recruiting sites.

I thought you might have had seen something.  Obviously you are just bloviating again.

I try not to bloviate

Im simply conveying what I saw on film.  We don't always see the same things 

25 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's definitely a real thing. There are guys like Usain Bolt and all those other world class sprinters who nobody on a football field is going to touch in a linear race, but football ain't a linear race.

I think you’re confusing speed with agility.  

The best have both.  Some can get by with one.  Others have even found a way to succeed with neither.