Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Should we talk about all the 3, 4, 5 star recruits that didn't fare so well at a Power 5 team?  You have way more confidence than I do in an assigned rankings.

I'm just glad folks like Brandon Bulsworth, Gary Bracket, Brandon Weeden, Logan Mankins, Jordy Nelson, Adam Archuleta, Rashad Johnson, Colt Brennan, JJ Watt, Santana Moss, Levi Jones, Baker Mayfield, Luke Falk, Hunter Renfrow, Clay Matthews, Joe Schmidt, etc. didn't attend one of your motivational speeches.

I won't argue that it would have been a safer bet to have attended one of the other schools that offered.  But those ranking systems don't measure work ethic, heart, how a person has been raised, etc.  Army offered Charlie...they were ranked in the top 25 last year at season's end and I believe have won bowl games the last three consecutive years....I know a number of Power 5 schools can't say that........

Give 'em hell Charlie!!!!!!!  

That's a good list.  To it, I'd add a couple names:

Julian Edelman.  A HS QB, he struggled to find interest from many colleges coming out of high school.  He played for a year at the College of San Mateo, then transferred to Kent State -- playing QB at both schools.  Bill Belichick knew he'd never be an NFL quarterback.  But he saw enough athletic potential in him to take him with the 232nd pick of the draft, despite his being undersized for just about any NFL position that doesn't involve kicking a ball....at 5'10"/195.  Jerry Rice recently called Edelman the best receiver currently in the NFL.

Kenny Moore Every place he's been, he's been told he was too small.  He didn't even play until his senior year of high school because of this.  He played at Valdosta State -- most scouts who looked at him had the predictable opinion:  too small.  He's now the highest paid slot corner in the NFL.

Switching sports, I also remember when Bob Knight was putting together a very talented recruiting class back in the late 80s.  It included very heralded recruits like Lawrence Funderburke, Chris Lawson, Greg Graham, Pat Graham, and Chris Reynolds.  One of Knight's assistants (Dakich, maybe?) saw a kid at a summer tournament that they had looked at once, but decided not to offer.  The player looked better than they had remembered.  They had one remaining scholarship and this assistant begged Knight to offer it to him, which he did.  That player -- the least heralded in the bunch -- ended up becoming the all-time leading scorer in Big Ten history.  His name was Calbert Cheaney.

I know that scouts and other talent evaluators for college and pro teams are good at what they do.  They weren't just hired off the street.  I know that they're right far more often than they're wrong.  But they're wrong enough that, if I was a coach, I'd probably put a high degree of value on checking in to prospects who, for whatever reason, didn't register high on the recruiting world's radar but are nonetheless highly touted by coaches and others who know the game....*especially* if I was coaching at a place like IU that almost never gets anybody above a 3-star and has to rely on the leftovers of the elite programs.

I flat guarantee there are gobs of diamonds in the rough out there who could be fine FBS-level players, if only given the chance.  But they just have this or that flaw -- a couple inches too short, a couple steps too slow, etc.

I understand why scouts put such a premium on these measurables.  But it's so myopic, isn't it?  It's almost....lazy.

Edited by MHSTigerFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

I think you’re confusing speed with agility.  

The best have both.  Some can get by with one.  Others have even found a way to succeed with neither.

Well yeah, hence football and track speed. Track speed is all about linear, straight line speed. Football is all about cutting, etc (agility). There’s plenty of “track guys” who wouldn’t cut it in football, and a lot of “fast” football players who would get smoked in a race. They aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Two different types of “speed”.

Edited by Footballking16

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Well yeah, hence football and track speed. Track speed is all about linear, straight line speed. Football is all about cutting, etc (agility). There’s plenty of “track guys” who wouldn’t cut it in football, and a lot of “fast” football players who would get smoked in a race. They aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Two different types of “speed”.

Yep, with pads and without.  Thanks for coming around.

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Add surface, cleats, weather, contact..it’s two different sports. Put a track guy in those elements and his “track speed” doesn’t always translate.

Sure it does.  Everyone else just slows down in those elements as well.  Fast is fast.

Track guys might not always succeed in football and vice versa but it’s not due to some sort of different type of “speed.”

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Indiana State is absolutely D1.....D1 FCS.

Now I know why you don't work for college football recruiting services....qualifications.....

I know that TD.  I believe young Mr. Spegal could  excel at a D1-AA (sorry the newfangled "FCS" designation is garbage) program like ISU.

2 hours ago, DT said:

ISU is absolutely scraping the very bottom of the D1 barrel.

Go Sycamores!

• Disdain 1

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Sure it does.  Everyone else just slows down in those elements as well.  Fast is fast.

Track guys might not always succeed in football and vice versa but it’s not due to some sort of different type of “speed.”

Of course it’s two different types of speed. Track guys are springtime 100 to 200m in a straight line until they get to the finish line. Football players are stopping, starting, cutting, until they get tackled. How many track guys have to change their pace of direction in a race?

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Of course it’s two different types of speed. Track guys are springtime 100 to 200m in a straight line until they get to the finish line. Football players are stopping, starting, cutting, until they get tackled. How many track guys have to change their pace of direction in a race?

Which is unrelated to SPEED...😉

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I flat guarantee there are gobs of diamonds in the rough out there who could be fine FBS-level players, if only given the chance.  But they just have this or that flaw -- a couple inches too short, a couple steps too slow, etc.

I understand why scouts put such a premium on these measurables.  But it's so myopic, isn't it?  It's almost....lazy.

^^^^^^^

We have a winner.  Many recruiters are not only lazy, most of them are too afraid to actually put their stamp of approval on a player unless they have already been offered by other “equivalent programs”.  Measurables are a nice place to start but you also have to be a football player.  Lineman and QB to a lesser extent may be one of the places where height plays a bigger role in football. 

Edited by OldschoolFB
Spell

10 hours ago, DT said:

He will be 25 by the time he sees his first playing time

19 yr old senior. Hell be 23 after 4. 24 after 5..

Where did you learn to count?

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Not if you do the math

Lighten up Francis

Speaking of math

19 year old sr in high school

20 freshman

21 soph

22 jr

23 sr

24 rs sr

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

This reminds me a lot of Josiah Sears, who was recruited as a PWO and a fullback to play for IU in the early DiNardo years (DiNardo ran a pro-style West Coast scheme that used a fullback) and ended up being a key player on the 2007 Insight Bowl team, earning a scholarship. He told me, when Terry Hoeppner came in with a spread offense, "you've got to find a way to get on the field if you're a fullback in an offense that doesn't use one." He became a reliable third-down back and a key player for IU. 

Charlie's build is similar to Josiah's, but he's much stronger and harder to tackle and deceptively fast in the open field. He's a very hard worker and a football player - he was a linebacker at Delta, played some NT at New Pal last year, and will do anything he can to get on the field. He'll thrive with Michael Hart and the RB room. If there's a guy I want to give the rock to on third-and-2 and say "we need two yards," it's Charlie. He's also become a much-improved blocker at NP, running a similar spread offense to what Kalen DeBoer runs in Bloomington. Stevie Scott is a power back that's two years ahead of him, and Sampson James looks like he will have a similar power-back build, but I expect Charlie Spegal will find the field at IU. One thing we saw this year - especially in the Bucket game - is that you cannot have too many running backs. 

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Not if you do the math

Lighten up Francis

You're going to take a cheap shot at a high school student and lie about his age - spreading a false rumor that a few detractors have started - expect to be called out on it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

This reminds me a lot of Josiah Sears, who was recruited as a PWO and a fullback to play for IU in the early DiNardo years (DiNardo ran a pro-style West Coast scheme that used a fullback) and ended up being a key player on the 2007 Insight Bowl team, earning a scholarship. He told me, when Terry Hoeppner came in with a spread offense, "you've got to find a way to get on the field if you're a fullback in an offense that doesn't use one." He became a reliable third-down back and a key player for IU. 

Charlie's build is similar to Josiah's, but he's much stronger and harder to tackle and deceptively fast in the open field. He's a very hard worker and a football player - he was a linebacker at Delta, played some NT at New Pal last year, and will do anything he can to get on the field. He'll thrive with Michael Hart and the RB room. If there's a guy I want to give the rock to on third-and-2 and say "we need two yards," it's Charlie. He's also become a much-improved blocker at NP, running a similar spread offense to what Kalen DeBoer runs in Bloomington. Stevie Scott is a power back that's two years ahead of him, and Sampson James looks like he will have a similar power-back build, but I expect Charlie Spegal will find the field at IU. One thing we saw this year - especially in the Bucket game - is that you cannot have too many running backs. 

You're going to take a cheap shot at a high school student and lie about his age - spreading a false rumor that a few detractors have started - expect to be called out on it. 

No shots taken.  The math does indeed add up.

Lets look at it from a pure talent standpoint.  Allen has clearly improved the recruiting in Bloomington.  We now have 3 and 4 star athletes on the roster at running back, where we used to generally have 2 and 3 star players.  I expect that recruiting to improve even more as the on field results will attract more potential interest.

Fact is, CS is the 37th ranked player in the state of Indiana, and barely a 2 star player   If he hits the field for IU, we are potentially trending down based on his profile.  The vast majority of players recruited at his talent level 20 to 40 ranking in the state) are going to The MAC.   The difference between IU and the MAC used to be very small.  Hopefully, that gap is widening.

I wish CS the best in college.  But Im frankly more concerned with the direction of IU football than with any single player.  He will get his chance to prove you right and the naysayers wrong.  Thats what we are all here for to debate.  

22 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Ive called him out multiple times just in the few mins. 

Ive never met Charlie and prob never will. 

Super stoked for him. Hes a great player. 

10 minutes ago, DT said:

No shots taken.  The math does indeed add up.

Lets look at it from a pure talent standpoint.  Allen has clearly improved the recruiting in Bloomington.  We now have 3 and 4 star athletes on the roster at running back, where we used to generally have 2 and 3 star players.  I expect that recruiting to improve even more as the on field results will attract more potential interest.

Fact is, CS is the 37th ranked player in the state of Indiana, and barely a 2 star player   If he hits the field for IU, we are potentially trending down based on his profile.  The vast majority of players recruited at his talent level 20 to 40 ranking in the state) are going to The MAC.   The difference between IU and the MAC used to be very small.  Hopefully, that gap is widening.

I wish CS the best in college.  But Im frankly more concerned with the direction of IU football than with any single player.  He will get his chance to prove you right and the naysayers wrong.  Thats what we are all here for to debate.  

How does his age add up? 

20 fr

21 so

22 jr

23 sr

24 rs sr.

You are wrong like usual. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

4 hours ago, Temptation said:

I have, just never believed in it.  Honestly me of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard...no offense intended towards you at all as I’ve heard others say it too.

The second part of “changing directions on a dime” meets the definition of agility far more than speed

No offense taken.  You just learned yourself something.  You are welcome 🙂

6 hours ago, Temptation said:

I think you’re confusing speed with agility.  

The best have both.  Some can get by with one.  Others have even found a way to succeed with neither.

Have to chime in on this one..fast guys can str8 out fly..stop watches don't lie..put a linebacker on ur roster who runs a 4.4 n he will completely dominate ur stud rb who runs a 4.7..never was a fan of the term football speed. Most guys with a fast 40 will also have a blazing shuttle run..side to side north n south..fast is fast.

Edited by Justasportsfan
Grammatical error

8 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Have to chime in on this one..fast guys can str8 out fly..stop watches don't lie..put a linebacker on ur roster who runs a 4.4 n he will completely dominate ur stud rb who runs a 4.7..never was a fan of the term football speed. Most guys with a fast 40 will also have a blazing shuttle run..side to side north n south..fast is fast.

Something must happen to the fast twitch muscle fibers and anaerobic capabilities when pads are put on...but it only happens to "track guys."  Everyone else is exempt.

I stand by my claim...DUMB.

I was thinking about all this last night.  I was fast when I was playing sports in my younger days.  I was football fast when a Ben Davis, Portage, Homestead or Bloomington South (enter any of our other opponents) player was chasing me.  :classic_biggrin:

But now, just "S" and that's me.  I don't want all that headache!  :classic_cool: