Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

18 hours ago, JustRules said:

Did it ever dawn on anyone he wants to attend IU and this is an opportunity to use his football skills to do that?

BINGO !!!   WE HAVE A WINNER

So many folks who have zero to connection to the family want to determine choices they made.   

Interesting to say the least 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

What is the functional difference between D1, D1-AA and D2?  Number of scholarships?

The more scholarships you can give the more good players you can recruit. And the players generally want to play at the highest level possible. Opportunities to play earlier, proximity to home, success of the team, academic programs offered all factor in as well. The top teams of FCS are better than the bottom third of FBS and the top teams of D2 are better than the bottom third of FCS. Some of the FCS schools are also non-athletic scholarship. The Pioneer League where Butler plays are all non-athletic scholarship athletes so they are closer to D3 teams.

D3 offers no athletic scholarship but many of the student athletes are getting merit and need based aid from the university. NAIA offers some athletic scholarships, but they are limited. Generally NAIA teams are ahead of D3 teams but there is a lot of overlap.

D3 and NAIA football is still a very good level of football. Having officiated both the level is a step above the top high school teams. Most of the players were all-conference/all-county in high school. Someone should not think D3/NAIA is below them if it's their only option. It will still be better overall competition than what you have in HS.

Edited by JustRules

2 minutes ago, JustRules said:

The more scholarships you can give the more good players you can recruit. And the players generally want to play at the highest level possible. Opportunities to play earlier, proximity to home, success of the team, academic programs offered all factor in as well. The top teams of FCS are better than the bottom third of FBS and the top teams of D2 are better than the bottom third of FCS. Some of the FCS schools are also non-athletic scholarship. The Pioneer League where Butler plays are all non-athletic scholarship athletes so they are closer to D3 teams.

The Ivy League is FCS and they also do not offer athletic scholarships.  Or even academic scholarships.  Tuition is need based on income.

Even if Charlie only plays special teams he has an opportunity to earn a scholarship and get his education paid for.  That is an amazing feat especially if he is rated as a low prospect.  If he somehow works his way into getting some carries it will be a great story and inspirational to a lot of young athletes.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Duke of Denham said:

Even if Charlie only plays special teams he has an opportunity to earn a scholarship and get his education paid for.  That is an amazing feat especially if he is rated as a low prospect.  If he somehow works his way into getting some carries it will be a great story and inspirational to a lot of young athletes.  

I think it would be a tough sell to my old man if I told him I was taking a pass on a full ride and instant playing time at Central Michigan to walk on and pay my own way, (or your way Dad) at IU.

Charlie has a future as a salesman.  

9 minutes ago, DT said:

I think it would be a tough sell to my old man if I told him I was taking a pass on a full ride and instant playing time at Central Michigan to walk on and pay my own way, (or your way Dad) at IU.

Charlie has a future as a salesman.  

Believe it or not, some people don't have to worry about paying for college.

Just now, CaptainHook said:

Believe it or not, some people don't have to worry about paying for college.

Nothing is free.  Either the family pays, the student pays, the university pays or the tax payer pays thru govt subsidies.

again, it is mind boggling that grown men are openly questioning decisions of HS students that they have ZERO connection to.    

Seriously, WHO CARES??   

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Nothing is free.  Either the family pays, the student pays, the university pays or the tax payer pays thru govt subsidies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

again, it is mind boggling that grown men are openly questioning decisions of HS students that they have ZERO connection to.    

Seriously, WHO CARES??   

Great point. I may question decisions by HS students I have a connection to, but I'll do it internally. My philosophy is, was and has been-YOU make the decision, then you own it. It's all yours. Don't look back.

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Seriously, WHO CARES??   

Because certain people around here have a need to have their factually inaccurate and off-the-wall hot takes proven "right," and will go to all ends - and step on as many toes as possible - to do so. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Seriously, WHO CARES??   

We have seen a long list of bad college choices made by recent high profile graduates

Tommy Stevens to Penn State - didnt work out

Hunter Johnson to Clemson - didnt work out

Brandon Peters to Michigan - didnt work out

Gunnar Kiel to Everywhere - didnt work out

Would be nice to see some of our Indiana boys have some success at the next level.

Edited by DT

22 minutes ago, DT said:

We have seen a long list of bad college choices made by recent high profile graduates

Tommy Stevens to Penn State - didnt work out

Hunter Johnson to Clemson - didnt work out

Brandon Peters to Michigan - didnt work out

Gunnar Kiel to Everywhere - didnt work out

Would be nice to see some of our Indiana boys have some success at the next level.

Highly ranked D1 QBs who were nationally recruited vs a throwback FB playing in a spread heavy era of football

Apple meet Oranges 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Highly ranked D1 QBs who were nationally recruited vs a throwback FB playing in a spread heavy era of football

Apple meet Oranges 

Position doesn't matter.  Next level results do.  I saw a lot of CG kids go to IU when they should have been playing in The MAC, where they likely would have been more productive and had a better experience.

See Romier Elliot

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/12/19/romeir-elliott-rejects-other-schools-signs-southern-illinois/2368557002/

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Recruiting and decisions for young players out of high school is not a one-size-fits-all proposition quit trying to make it that way

Kids often get bad advice

It happens

7 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Define better experience..........

Great education...meet their spouse.....have "brothers" that mean the world to them......love their coaches.  Maybe it might be more than the number of snaps taken.

I get what you are saying...but it might be more than playing time to some.  As Coach N stated earlier....it may not be a one size fits all proposition....as success may be simply be defined differently for people.

I thought high school kids accepted full ride Division 1 scholarships to play football.  

Man we are getting soft.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Recruiting and decisions for young players out of high school is not a one-size-fits-all proposition quit trying to make it that way

In my opinion only, a lot of how these kids perform depends on a number of things.  Many times the highly recruited athlete go into Frosh camp with egos and expectations much too high.  They have never faced adversity and assume they will be the man no matter what.  They don’t know what many athletes have had to go through to get even a sniff.  A player like Charlie may feel as if he’s been slighted and come in even hungrier than ever.  Or he may always be looked at as a fullback and not get a fair look(although I doubt this very much).  One thing he will have to adjust to is not getting the ball more than 50% of the time and being THE focal point of the team’s Offense.  He will also  be facing guys who are as strong as him for the first time ever.   My guess is he will surprise many people and prove them wrong.  I don’t know him at all.  I’ve just heard about how hard he works.  It seems to me the kind of drive he is said to have will carry him through.  I wish him nothing but success in Bloomington.  

32 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

In my opinion only, a lot of how these kids perform depends on a number of things.  Many times the highly recruited athlete go into Frosh camp with egos and expectations much too high.  They have never faced adversity and assume they will be the man no matter what.  They don’t know what many athletes have had to go through to get even a sniff.  A player like Charlie may feel as if he’s been slighted and come in even hungrier than ever.  Or he may always be looked at as a fullback and not get a fair look(although I doubt this very much).  One thing he will have to adjust to is not getting the ball more than 50% of the time and being THE focal point of the team’s Offense.  He will also  be facing guys who are as strong as him for the first time ever.   My guess is he will surprise many people and prove them wrong.  I don’t know him at all.  I’ve just heard about how hard he works.  It seems to me the kind of drive he is said to have will carry him through.  I wish him nothing but success in Bloomington.  

We see the same thing on the academic side too.  There are LOTS of high school valedictorians who go off to college and end up in classrooms ... with all of the other valedictorians from their state and every other state too.  You'd think there would be phenomenal performance across the board in that situation, but that's not always the case; especially once they are pitted against each other in relative grading situations.