Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

5 hours ago, DT said:

Nothing is free.  Either the family pays, the student pays, the university pays or the tax payer pays thru govt subsidies.

You don’t know anything about the family or his situation. Or quite frankly, what his recruitIng process has been like. I’m glad he gets to make the decision for his future that he wants. Who are you to act like an arrogant person and tell him what to do? Or say he is getting bad advice? Oh yeah, just a guy that has “watched his highlights.” I was right, you are an idiot.

• Disdain 1

53 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

You don’t know anything about the family or his situation. Or quite frankly, what his recruitIng process has been like. I’m glad he gets to make the decision for his future that he wants. Who are you to act like an arrogant person and tell him what to do? Or say he is getting bad advice? Oh yeah, just a guy that has “watched his highlights.” I was right, you are an idiot.

If you follow the recruiting rankings and have any faith in them, logic would dictate the following :

King - Big Ten

Hook - MAC

Spegal - GLIAC/GLVC

Maybe a kid's family doesn't make a lot of money, and the Ivy League is a really good option.  Or maybe money isn't a concern, so they have an opportunity to try to walk on at a place you want to go and think you can play.  Or again, money isn't a concern and you wanna pay sticker price for an Ivy League education. Or maybe being close to home is important.  There is a lot more that factors into these decisions than stars or rankings.  Ever think of any of those?

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 10:35 PM, Footballking16 said:

Shocked he took a PWO at IU, but as an IU fan I’ll take it. IU is loaded at RB with Scott, Sampson James and Ronnie Walker, the two latter 4* recruits who are back ups. IU also just landed another RB out of VA today that was previously committed to Michigan. 

Charlie is a good "get" for IU. Believe me, he will find the field quickly and maybe gain scholarship after first/second year. Probably get redshirt, but you never know. Guys with that type of drive and background usually succeed. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DT said:

I thought high school kids accepted full ride Division 1 scholarships to play football.  

Man we are getting soft.

Many teams build on preferred walk on's. Maybe that is good sign for IU that they not as many scholarships left over cause the cruiting is getting better and the have kids grabbing the PWO's

Edited by psaboy
  • Like 1

3 walk ons were key contributors to the success offensively for Purdue vs IU this past year. 

Center:  SOPH Walk ON 

QB:  RS SOPH WALK ON

RB;  Harvath:  RS SOPH former walk on earned scholarship this past year:  

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/football/purdue-s-horvath-earns-respect-scholarship/article_d7dfa4a8-a5ba-55b1-a448-60f9c8a168fc.html

I absolutely can see Spegal taking the same type of Path at IU as Horvath did at PU.   

5 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Many teams build on preferred walk on's. Maybe that is good sign for IU that they not as many scholarships left over cause the cruiting is getting better and the have kids grabbing the PWO's

Agree:   I just read an article recently where Purdue Recruiting coordinator while at OSU was in charge of their PWO program and he was able to convince a couple 3 star kids to go to OSU instead.   

• Like 2

Let's be honest here.. There are only 3 maybe 4 people on this entire 6 page thread who actually know the kid and have ever talked to/coached him. Those that have, know that he and his family were going to make a decision that they thought was best for him both athletically and academically. Also, those that know him know that he will work his tail off to earn a spot (in whatever capacity they need him) and get a degree. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Define better experience..........

Great education...meet their spouse.....have "brothers" that mean the world to them......love their coaches.  Maybe it might be more than the number of snaps taken.

I get what you are saying...but it might be more than playing time to some.  As Coach N stated earlier....it may not be a one size fits all proposition....as success may be simply be defined differently for people.

Meanwhile, take a player like a Josiah Sears - who I've also watched from high school through college and beyond. Recruited as a fullback, doesn't have a lot of offers, takes a PWO at IU, starts as a senior, scores a TD in a bowl game for IU's best team in a decade, meets his wife, has a beautiful family, has spent years as a successful coach in D3 and now at IMG Academy. Would he have been "better off" at Central Michigan or Miami? I'm not sure, but things really worked out for him. 

Too many people want to treat athletes and football programs as pieces on a chess board they can move for the benefit of their entertainment (or their need to be "right" on their hot takes), but these all people and communities with unique needs, unique perspectives and unique desires. 

I firmly believe Charlie will work hard, find a spot and be successful at IU. He may not have the "measurables," but he's one of the most driven, hard-working football players I've ever seen, and he's very difficult to tackle in the open field. 

I'm excited for all of the NP seniors headed off to college and seeing them perform at the next level. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I know a story that was told to me very recently of a 6a coach that is very well respected recently stated that Maxen Hook would be playing in the NFL.  

I could see that.  He will continue to get stronger and faster as he continues to mature  and work in the weight room with the Toledo program. 

21 hours ago, DT said:

I thought high school kids accepted full ride Division 1 scholarships to play football.  

Man we are getting soft.

Next, you're going to tell us something like this:

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I know a story that was told to me very recently of a 6a coach that is very well respected recently stated that Maxen Hook would be playing in the NFL.  

Would not surprise me at all.  I've said since last year he was clearly our best player.  Plays with great instincts and never seems to be out of position.  And the bigger the game, the bigger impact he seems to have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

Would not surprise me at all.  I've said since last year he was clearly our best player.  Plays with great instincts and never seems to be out of position.  And the bigger the game, the bigger impact he seems to have.

Watched Hook play his last 3 games online and he was the best player I’ve seen all year in Indiana. Absolute freak, his motor didn’t compare to anyone else’s that I saw. He will be playing on Sundays! He should be Mr.Football. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Maybe a kid's family doesn't make a lot of money, and the Ivy League is a really good option.  Or maybe money isn't a concern, so they have an opportunity to try to walk on at a place you want to go and think you can play.  Or again, money isn't a concern and you wanna pay sticker price for an Ivy League education. Or maybe being close to home is important.  There is a lot more that factors into these decisions than stars or rankings.  Ever think of any of those?

Yes, I have considered all of those possibilities.

Unfortunately, I always come back to the precedent that has been set by the 3 high profile QBs, who all failed and transferred out because they shot well above their pay grade.  

One other major challenge for CS is his lack of position flexibility.  I really see no where else for him to play on the field other than in the offensive backfield.  Most PWO wind up playing a position other than what they did in high school.  They are athletic enough that position flexibility opens more doors.

I would love to see Charlie hit the turf and churn out 1500 yards and 20 TDs his freshman year, but that will not happen at IU.  It most likely never will happen, based on the known odds PWO players face.  But It very well could happen at 50 other schools.  

7 hours ago, DT said:

I would love to see Charlie hit the turf and churn out 1500 yards and 20 TDs his freshman year, but that will not happen at IU.  It most likely never will happen, based on the known odds PWO players face.  But It very well could happen at 50 other schools.  

That wasn't going to happen anywhere on any level.  Charlie will probably RS, where he will get plenty of time to put on muscle, be coached on technique, and practice against all those athletes that are obviously far better because they had more * by their name.

I was always a fan of CS, now even more.  When he gets into a game I will be rooting extra hard for him.  As opposed to you feeling that IU was forced to play a player that scraped the bottom of the recruiting barrel.  Time to find another made up controversy. 

• Like 2

Giving up a full scholarship and choosing to walk on shows enormous confidence. I have a ton of respect for a kid who says, "I'm putting on that Indiana football uniform no matter what the naysayers say." 

His agility scores scream Indiana State. But there is something special about this kid. I've seen the highlights. 

I remember thinking Drue Trainquill was crazy for accepting a last minute offer from ND after being committed to Purdue for a long time. He would never see the field competing against ND's abundance of 4-star recruits. We all know how that story ended up. Then the naysayers questioned whether he could compete at the next level. And we all know how THAT story ended up. 

Stay tuned. 

6 hours ago, Staxawax said:

That wasn't going to happen anywhere on any level.  Charlie will probably RS, where he will get plenty of time to put on muscle, be coached on technique, and practice against all those athletes that are obviously far better because they had more * by their name.

I was always a fan of CS, now even more.  When he gets into a game I will be rooting extra hard for him.  As opposed to you feeling that IU was forced to play a player that scraped the bottom of the recruiting barrel.  Time to find another made up controversy. 

He doesn't need any more muscle.  The kid can bench over 400 lbs.  If anything he should trim down a little and work on his speed training.  That is what has held him back from a full ride d1 scholarship.