Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

14 minutes ago, DT said:

He doesn't need any more muscle.  The kid can bench over 400 lbs.  If anything he should trim down a little and work on his speed training.  That is what has held him back from a full ride d1 scholarship.   

Can you clarify this "speed training" you are referring to?  Is that "track speed" or "football speed?"

40 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Can you clarify this "speed training" you are referring to?  Is that "track speed" or "football speed?"

I'm not getting into that silly argument you had with another poster.

Hes too slow.  He needs to get faster.  Gaining another 15 lbs of muscle will not help him get any faster.  He will get stiffer and lose speed.  

I would push him to get down to around 218 and see what he can do.

10 minutes ago, DT said:

I'm not getting into that silly argument you had with another poster.

Hes too slow.  He needs to get faster.  Gaining another 15 lbs of muscle will not help him get any faster.  He will get stiffer and lose speed.  

I would push him to get down to around 218 and see what he can do.

DT, your training philosophy is stuck in the 70s. I can assure you with modern training methods, you can increase explosiveness and acceleration by adding muscle. He’s a running back. Nobody cares how fast he runs 400 meters, or even 100 meters. It’s more important how fast he runs 10 meters, and increasing power and explosiveness addresses that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

DT, your training philosophy is stuck in the 70s. I can assure you with modern training methods, you can increase explosiveness and acceleration by adding muscle. He’s a running back. Nobody cares how fast he runs 400 meters, or even 100 meters. It’s more important how fast he runs 10 meters, and increasing power and explosiveness addresses that.

Shhh. We don't want to confuse certain posters about timed-speed.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I'm in total agreement with your point

However, young Charlie is 5-10 and 235lbs.  If he were 210-215, Id say sure, lets add some muscle and convert to speed.  

If you bulk him up to 245, you will lose some of that initial explosion and elusiveness.  

Im also betting he is not quite 5-10  , just based on the look test

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Or "city speed."

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, DT said:

However, young Charlie is 5-10 and 235lbs.  If he were 210-215, Id say sure, lets add some muscle and convert to speed.  

If you bulk him up to 245, you will lose some of that initial explosion and elusiveness.  

More fiction.

1 hour ago, DT said:

We're not talking about adding 15 lbs. of weight. We're talking about adding 15 lbs. of muscle. They are two different things. As kids mature, and are exposed to modern principles of training, including nutrition, they can add muscle and lose body fat. The result might well be no net weight gain, but a significant increase in power and explosiveness. 

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

We're not talking about adding 15 lbs. of weight. We're talking about adding 15 lbs. of muscle. They are two different things. As kids mature, and are exposed to modern principles of training, including nutrition, they can add muscle and lose body fat. The result might well be no net weight gain, but a significant increase in power and explosiveness. 

Im not sure that IU has that kind of capability.

Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State?  Yes.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Im not sure that IU has that kind of capability.

Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State?  Yes.

It's not rocket science. The training methods to do so are not a well-guarded secret. They are pretty much standard at any Power 5 university. Well within the capability of the training and sports medicine staff at IU. Now, whether the player has the dedication to adhere to the regimen prescribed is always another question.

Kid must love football and the process. The grind at college level can mentally and physically break a kid. Could not imagine paying to do it. PWO miss out on a lot of perks that scholarship athletes get. With that being said, it would not surprise me if this kid eventually earns a scholarship. 

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

It's not rocket science. The training methods to do so are not a well-guarded secret. They are pretty much standard at any Power 5 university. Well within the capability of the training and sports medicine staff at IU. Now, whether the player has the dedication to adhere to the regimen prescribed is always another question.

Guessing CS is probably in the 4.7 range over 40 yards.  Likely significantly slower than Ius scholarship backs.  

Not sure how you fix that with his body type and running style.

Why try to turn him into something that he isn't when he rushed for 10000 yards with the wheels he already has?  Just need to find the right fit.

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Actually IU has a state of the art weightlifting program where each lift is videoed and analyzed.  But I'm sure you'll come back and say you already knew that.

Analysis paralysis

4 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

All D-One football programs can and do develop kids into better athletes.

And you say you don't bloviate....

MCM_4112.jpg.77025a3d79f77cc8bc506f9e4f5153d2.jpg

Looks like Center Grove.  

5 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Kid must love football and the process. The grind at college level can mentally and physically break a kid. Could not imagine paying to do it. PWO miss out on a lot of perks that scholarship athletes get. With that being said, it would not surprise me if this kid eventually earns a scholarship. 

I expect to see him in the transfer portal following freshman year.  

He has a lot of mileage on him.  Hate to see him waste that first year on campus.  

12 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Actually IU has a state of the art weightlifting program where each lift is videoed and analyzed.  But I'm sure you'll come back and say you already knew that.

image.png.302a8531175205ec8259483d35468cb0.png

11 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Perhaps, but then again, not always.  Depends on the kid and the situation.  Dru Anthrop was a basketball walk-on at Purdue.  Played as a member of the team for three years as a walk-on and was offered a scholarship in his fourth year.  Got to play in his backyard on the same team that his dad played on ... his dad was also a Purdue walk-on that eventually got a scholarship in the last year of his college career.  I'd heard, but haven't confirmed, that at the time that Dru was graduating, the he and his dad were the only father-son tandem to have won a Big 10 championship.  I've got to imagine that's something quite special that they share that may make up for some of the other perks that might have been missed.

43 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Image result for johnny carson fortune teller

You are correct sir.  I think.  

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Shhh. We don't want to confuse certain posters about timed-speed.

Wait, so now there is ANOTHER category?

"Track speed"

"Football speed"

"City speed"

AND

"Timed-speed."

Do I need a special kind of stopwatch for any of these?

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Wait, so now there is ANOTHER category?

"Track speed"

"Football speed"

"City speed"

AND

"Timed-speed."

Do I need a special kind of stopwatch for any of these?

Ludicrous speed!

9 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Stevie Scott...ESPN profile had him at 4.83.  He was 2nd team All Big 10 this year.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/227173/stevie-scott

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/12/20/16800108/indiana-football-early-signing-period-3-star-big-runningback-stevie-scotts-a-late-steal-from-rutger

Scott, a 3-star recruit out of Syracuse, NY, committed to play at rutger in August, but decommitted on December 14. That same day Scott declared IU to be the leader in his recruitment and the next day committed to play for the Hoosiers. He also had offers from Minnesota, Central Florida, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh among others. Scott is the 16th best recruit in the state of New York and ranks 89th among all running back recruits in the country.

The 6’1”, 240-pound back suffered a foot injury as a senior. As a junior, he ran for over 1400 yards and 21 touchdowns on 135 carries. Scott reportedly runs a 4.8 40 yard dash. His bigger frame is something that the Hoosiers missed in their backfield committee in 2017 and if he goes into the season at 240 pounds he’ll easily be the heaviest back the Hoosiers have based on last year’s roster.

Thank you!  We need a Mount Bovinator.  I can't believe the cojones a couple of these posters have sometimes.  BIggus whatever that guy says on Monty Python.  

49 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Pass.

Not worth it, you're in over your head.

Yep, I am a USATF Level 2 certified track and field coach who has taken undergraduate courses in exercise science, physiology and kinesiology...WAY OVER my head...

Please tell me more.

Edited by Guest