Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

10 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I went to 247 and at least the source from them I read did not list these other schools.  I stand corrected, as I assume ESPN would be correct.  Rivals was consistent with ESPN.  

Your original post indicated Spegal had no D1 offers....I did see you changed it to P5 D1 offers.

But bottom line, Spegal has a faster 40 time than Scott  (again, assuming the sources are correct)  Assuming that is the case, why do you brand Spegal as slow, when he's actually as fast or faster then a back that was 2nd team all Big 10?

Why are you so strident in your defense of Spegal?  I have simply stated that his lack of speed is the reason he has not been highly recruited.  I believe that is indisputable.

Maybe you should explain to me why Scott with a 4.8 40 had 8 P5 offers and Spegel, the all time leader rusher in his state with a reported 4.6 forty time has zero P5 offers.

Why is that?

Is there some skepticism among recruiters about his times and his measurements?

Are there other concerns?

Age?

Wear and tear?

Is he fully developed in the eyes of recruiters?

There are lots of intangibles that need to be taken into account.

I think the comparison of Spegal to Scott is a good one.  One got lots of P5 offers, the other didn't.  Why?

For the record, when you hear me mention D1, Im talking P5.  I will be clear if I am referencing the other D1 conferences.

I'm confident the readers understand where I am coming from.

Edited by DT

6 hours ago, DT said:

Why are you so strident in your defense of Spegal?  I have simply stated that his lack of speed is the reason he has not been highly recruited.  I believe that is indisputable.

Maybe you should explain to me why Scott with a 4.8 40 had 8 P5 offers and Spegel, the all time leader rusher in his state with a reported 4.6 forty time has zero P5 offers.

Why is that?

Is there some skepticism among recruiters about his times and his measurements?

Are there other concerns?

Age?

Wear and tear?

Is he fully developed in the eyes of recruiters?

There are lots of intangibles that need to be taken into account.

I think the comparison of Spegal to Scott is a good one.  One got lots of P5 offers, the other didn't.  Why?

For the record, when you hear me mention D1, Im talking P5.  I will be clear if I am referencing the other D1 conferences.

I'm confident the readers understand where I am coming from.

Why are you so strident in your nonstop belittling of the accomplishments of a high school student, which has been full of inaccuracies and speculation based on a tiny sample size and a "I have to be right so I'm going to drill my point until you all agree with me" desire to argue. Two things: D1 is more than P5. It's actually even more than FBS. Also, learn how to spell the kid's name if you're going to spend nine pages trying to tear him down and question his decision-making.  

"Wear and tear." Spegal was getting, maybe, 20 carries a game most nights. The people who ACTUALLY WATCHED HIS GAMES (which you clearly have not) can tell you this.  

Age? Why would a teenaged high school football player whose age is not abnormal for a high school senior scare off recruiters? If you're the "content creator" you seem to think you are, you'd at least do a little bit of research and get your facts straight rather than believing wild rumors. 

If anything, the lack of P5 offers likely has to do with measurables - he's 5'11 and doesn't have 4.5 speed and thus got pigeonholed as  fullback, but he's a football player. He has tremendous sense, he's incredibly strong, has tremendous vision, is hard to tackle and he'll be a solid player for IU. I would be shocked if he doesn't earn a scholarship during his time at IU. 

I'm confident most readers understand where you're coming from: that your opinions are based in nothing close to facts, and that anything you write here should be taken about as seriously as people who call into sports talk radio.  But "content" or something. It's content in the way Cheez-Wiz is food. Sure, it's content, but it's not quality and you feel worse for having consumed it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Bag on DT all you want and perhaps his approach is wrong but if you don’t think it’s strange that a kid who ran for nearly 11,000 yards against 4A and 5A competition and is about to come as close to becoming a unanimous Mr. Football choice as this state has ever had is not getting more looks nationally, you’re lying.

8 hours ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

Pure speculation on your part.  

Bloviation.

Really?

Then please enlighten us all on your insight relative to the lack of major college interest.

6 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Why are you so strident in your nonstop belittling of the accomplishments of a high school student, which has been full of inaccuracies and speculation based on a tiny sample size and a "I have to be right so I'm going to drill my point until you all agree with me" desire to argue. Two things: D1 is more than P5. It's actually even more than FBS. Also, learn how to spell the kid's name if you're going to spend nine pages trying to tear him down and question his decision-making.  

Have never belittled.  Appreciate his accomplishments. Just calling out points and opinions that are contrary to yours.

"Wear and tear." Spegal was getting, maybe, 20 carries a game most nights. The people who ACTUALLY WATCHED HIS GAMES (which you clearly have not) can tell you this.  

11000 yards over the course of a career creates wear and tear.  Its inescapable.  

Age? Why would a teenaged high school football player whose age is not abnormal for a high school senior scare off recruiters? If you're the "content creator" you seem to think you are, you'd at least do a little bit of research and get your facts straight rather than believing wild rumors. 

I believe CS will be 20 when he reports for fall practice.  I was still 18 when I reported to freshman camp.  There is a difference.  

If anything, the lack of P5 offers likely has to do with measurables - he's 5'11 and doesn't have 4.5 speed and thus got pigeonholed as  fullback, but he's a football player. He has tremendous sense, he's incredibly strong, has tremendous vision, is hard to tackle and he'll be a solid player for IU. I would be shocked if he doesn't earn a scholarship during his time at IU. 

Recruiters know the difference between a fullback and a running back.  I don't buy that nonsense for a second.  

I'm confident most readers understand where you're coming from: that your opinions are based in nothing close to facts, and that anything you write here should be taken about as seriously as people who call into sports talk radio.  But "content" or something. It's content in the way Cheez-Wiz is food. Sure, it's content, but it's not quality and you feel worse for having consumed it. 

I am the most read content provider in the history of The Gridiron Digest.  The record speaks for itself.  

14 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Bag on DT all you want and perhaps his approach is wrong but if you don’t think it’s strange that a kid who ran for nearly 11,000 yards against 4A and 5A competition and is about to come as close to becoming a unanimous Mr. Football choice as this state has ever had is not getting more looks nationally, you’re lying.

There is nothing wrong with my approach.

Its consistent and direct.  I form strong and sometimes controversial opinions and share them with the readers.

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

Earlier in this thread, you specifically pointed out speed was the main issue that the young man’s choice to go to IU was unwise. Why he wasn’t a D1 player. I simply showed you his listed 40 times are faster that a current IU back and a current 2nd team all Big 10 guy was when he was a high school senior. Based on your wisdom and following your logic, no way would a 4.83 40 yd guy be a D1 caliber recruit, let alone a P5 guy. 

11 D1 FBS conferences, 130 D1 FBS teams.  If D1 football to you only means P5 teams, you are ignoring a lot of programs...many that will be playing in bowl games. And that doesnt even include D1 FCS.  So I’m not sure everyone aligns with your D1 definition.  

We do agree on your statement about the impact of intangibles. Who’s to say Charlie doesn’t bring some intangibles of his very own?

Clearly he does.  His coach has called him out as a great team player, always happy to share the accolades.

Great football instincts.  Toughness.  One of those backs that justs knows how to find daylight.  

I will say this.  I've seen his height listed anywhere from 5-8 to 5-11.  He looked closer to 5-8 when I watched him in the 5A championship game.  Scott is 6-1 and his weight is more broadly distributed across his body.  Scott also can catch the ball out of the backfield.  Not sure CS has clearly demonstrated that.  In this day and age of wide open oppenses, backs must be able to catch the ball.  Its why Jordan Howard was let go from the Bears.  They didn't trust him to catch passes out of the backfield and it hindered their offense.

Scott and Spegal are two completely different body types.

Scott is taller and leaner.  Spegal more compact.  That eye test plays into recruiter evaluation. 

"I am the most read content provider in the history of The Gridiron Digest.  The record speaks for itself. "

Where can one find said "record"? Because you're 6th in terms of number of comments. That's the only record that anyone can cite.

When we talk about most read content on the GID, we're only talking about the top 5. If we're referring to #6 or below, we'll be clear.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

"I am the most read content provider in the history of The Gridiron Digest.  The record speaks for itself. "

Where can one find said "record"? Because you're 6th in terms of number of comments. That's the only record that anyone can cite.

When we talk about most read content on the GID, we're only talking about the top 5. If we're referring to #6 or below, we'll be clear.

Yet YOU keep responding!

YOU provide his ratings!

Classic!

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

HUH? And you responded to me. That makes me the most read commenter in the history of the GID. Thanks for putting me on top. See how easy that is?

I’m not the one complaining or keeping score of content count as if it’s some sort of trophy.

So you’re the guy Dakich is always talking about, huh?

Whine all day and throw insults at folks yet you tune in EVERY DAY on time.

Such predictable sheep.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

We go back a long way around here my friend.  This is the 3rd iteration of The GID.

I was providing content and driving forum activity while you were still dating cheer leaders.

This latest version is still in its infancy compared to prior versions.

7 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I’m not the one complaining or keeping score of content count as if it’s some sort of trophy.

Nope, that would be  @DT

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

So you’re the guy Dakich is always talking about, huh?

I don't listen to Dakich. Who is he talking about? I've watched him play, last time I paid any attention to him.

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Whine all day and throw insults at folks yet you tune in EVERY DAY on time.

Insults? If questioning an unprovable claim is an insult, you may need anti-snowflake training.

11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Such predictable sheep.

I think I see the sheep. He's in someone's flock alright.

Just now, DT said:

I was providing content and driving forum activity while you were still dating cheer leaders.

Sorry, but this is also a lie.

• Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Nope, that would be  @DT

I don't listen to Dakich. Who is he talking about? I've watched him play, last time I paid any attention to him.

Insults? If questioning an unprovable claim is an insult, you may need anti-snowflake training.

I think I see the sheep. He's in someone's flock alright.

Sorry, but this is also a lie.

Cha Ching!

Keep replying...

19 hours ago, gonzoron said:

This from a guy who only has snide remarks and innuendo for this forum.LOL

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

1 hour ago, southend said:

This from a guy who only has snide remarks and innuendo for this forum.LOL

I think that says more about the folks who choose to respond to him than it reflects on DT himself.

Edited by Guest

On 12/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, Muda69 said:

Comparing young Mr. Spegal to another famous Indiana H.S. running back.   Wasn't young Mr. Kiser red shirted by Notre Dame in addition to being moved to the defensive side of the ball?   Did young Mr. Spegal play any position on defense during his high school career?

Notre Dame does not “redshirt” players, other than for medical reasons.

On 12/14/2019 at 6:28 PM, DT said:

Read my post.  I said P5 D1 offers.  

I see lots of offers here for Scott

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/227173/stevie-scott

Scott was initially recruited as a LB and then Mike Hart (IU RB coach) who hails from the same hometown as Scott convinced him to come play RB at IU.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Hmmm,  not according to this short article:  https://www.wndu.com/content/sports/Brian-Kelly-weighs-in-on-redshirt-process-562584921.html

Freshman linebacker and last year's Mr. Football in Indiana Jack Kiser is all a candidate of the redshirt.

Kelly says he may also try to limit senior corner back Donte Vaughn to four games so he can stay in South Bend another season.

Kelly says he closely monitors who he wants to redshirt and is always thinking about.

"I wouldn't say it's very complicated or intricate," Kelly said. "It's about evaluation and seeing guys that can help us win football games in roles. Those guys that are playing significant roles in more than special teams, well, those are easy decisions. It's the guys that are in limited roles and how those limited roles can either be parceled out to four games, or these guys are just too good and they have to play in special teams because they're impacting us."

So is this article implying that Mr. Kelly is effectively redshirting players for bogus medical reason?

• Disdain 2

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

Not sure where Bob-Ref gets his info.

Although some players maybe recruited as athletes, Jack was recruited to ND specifically to play LB, and they made that clear from day 1.

After rehabbing from February labrum surgery, Jack started the first 4 games on multiple special teams, then met with ND coaches for a planned after-game-four evaluation and discussion regarding his freshman eligibility.  Jack expresses interest in redshirting, and ND coaches agreed that they would attempt to honor that unless injuries to others forced them to use Jack in a 5th game.  If a 5th game occurred, then he would play out the remainder of the season thereafter.

Of ND’s 21 freshmen scholarship players, only 3 played in more than 4 games exhausting a year of eligibility.  The other 18 played in 4 games or less and technically redshirted and will return as freshmen next year.

The NCAA rule change allowing 4 games and still redshirting has changed things considerably, for Brian Kelly and everyone.

With ND having 4 freshmen LBs, they could easily rotate each thru 4 games to fill 1 special teams spot and still redshirt all of them.  A win/win for all.

• Like 3