Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

ND goes not "traditionally" redshirt players in the fact that if a ND freshman gets redshirted, they are not designated as a Redshirt Freshman the next year. ND considers that player a Sophomore and they have the opportunity to come back for a 5th year (Redshirt senior) after their 4th (Redshirt junior) season. 

So like Jack's dad said, Notre Dame does redshirt players, but Notre Dame doesn't add redshirt to their class if they are redshirted. 

Edited by MICFan34
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach-Ref_Kiser said:

Not sure where Bob-Ref gets his info.

Although some players maybe recruited as athletes, Jack was recruited to ND specifically to play LB, and they made that clear from day 1.

After rehabbing from February labrum surgery, Jack started the first 4 games on multiple special teams, then met with ND coaches for a planned after-game-four evaluation and discussion regarding his freshman eligibility.  Jack expresses interest in redshirting, and ND coaches agreed that they would attempt to honor that unless injuries to others forced them to use Jack in a 5th game.  If a 5th game occurred, then he would play out the remainder of the season thereafter.

Of ND’s 21 freshmen scholarship players, only 3 played in more than 4 games exhausting a year of eligibility.  The other 18 played in 4 games or less and technically redshirted and will return as freshmen next year.

The NCAA rule change allowing 4 games and still redshirting has changed things considerably, for Brian Kelly and everyone.

With ND having 4 freshmen LBs, they could easily rotate each thru 4 games to fill 1 special teams spot and still redshirt all of them.  A win/win for all.

3 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

ND goes not "traditionally" redshirt players in the fact that if a ND freshman gets redshirted, they are not designated as a Redshirt Freshman the next year. ND considers that player a Sophomore and they have the opportunity to come back for a 5th year (Redshirt senior) after their 4th (Redshirt junior) season. 

So like Jack's dad said, Notre Dame does redshirt players, but Notre Dame doesn't add redshirt to their class if they are redshirted. 

I apologize for not being clear. It’s more of a semantic issue than anything else.

Historically, the term “redshirt” was applied to a student athlete designated by his school to sit out an entire year, to take advantage of the NCAA eligibility rule that allowed players 5 years to use up their 4 seasons of eligibility. That rule was modified before the 2018 season to provide that a player who plays in 4 or fewer games during the year does not have that year count toward his eligibility. 

As I understand it, at Notre Dame this rule change has been implemented with two provisos that are not commonly used at other schools:

First, ND does not designate a player at the beginning of the season as a “redshirt,” and withhold him from all competition during that season. Rather, as Coach-Ref Kaiser pointed out, they wait until after the 4th game of the season to make that determination, unless medical issues are involved.

Second, ND does not automatically allow a player their last season of eligibility after that have completed their bachelor’s degree. Rather, they must petition the University to be allowed to participate in that 5th year, as a graduate student, and permission is granted on a case by case basis.

To summarize, ND does not follow the “traditional” redshirt practice, but they have implemented the new NCAA rule change as of 2018, in their own fashion.

Edited by Bobref

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, DT said:

I'm not getting into that silly argument you had with another poster.

Hes too slow.  He needs to get faster.  Gaining another 15 lbs of muscle will not help him get any faster.  He will get stiffer and lose speed.  

I would push him to get down to around 218 and see what he can do.

You should probably leave that to Dave Ballou

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

You should probably leave that to Dave Ballou

He certainly is the expert.

Nobody is going to convince me though that bulking Charlie up to 250 from 235 is going to increase his 40 time.

The kid can bench 400 lbs.  There comes a point of diminishing returns when it comes to muscle , weight and speed.  

10 minutes ago, DT said:

He certainly is the expert.

Nobody is going to convince me though that bulking Charlie up to 250 from 235 is going to increase his 40 time.

The kid can bench 400 lbs.  There comes a point of diminishing returns when it comes to muscle , weight and speed.  

DK Metcalf benches well over 400 and runs a 4.33

59 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

DK Metcalf benches well over 400 and runs a 4.33

LOL

So now we are comparing CS to NFL players.

The Legend continues to grow.

13 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

No we are debunking your 1970s mindset that you can't be strong and fast.

Remember you are the guy that thought Nebraska still ran I formation football.

Only in my dreams.

Cant wait for this boring, unimaginative and mindless RPO to go away for good.  Wont be long.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTOICZ5FNg

Edited by DT

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Only in my dreams.

Cant wait for this boring, unimaginative and mindless RPO to go away for good.  Wont be long.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTOICZ5FNg

Did you watch the ISU @ NDSU Quarterfinal Saturday?  It.  Was.  Awesome!  For guys like you and I that aren't huge fans of the RPO offenses.

Now don't get me started on just how GREAT the Army/Navy offenses are.  😍

18 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Did you watch the ISU @ NDSU Quarterfinal Saturday?  It.  Was.  Awesome!  For guys like you and I that aren't huge fans of the RPO offenses.

Now don't get me started on just how GREAT the Army/Navy offenses are.  😍

I usually only watch big boy football.

Class 5A and 6A state finals

Big Ten

Chicago Bears

Watching ISU-NDSU is like watching 1A or 2a football. just doesn't move the needle for me.

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, DT said:

I usually only watch big boy football.

Class 5A and 6A state finals

Big Ten

Chicago Bears

Watching ISU-NDSU is like watching 1A or 2a football. just doesn't move the needle for me.

North Dakota St. isn't big boy football to you?  Wow, ok.  To each their own.

35 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Not compared to Ohio State - Wisconsin, or Michigan - Penn State

Its all relative.

Edited by DT

22 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I've thought they would be a good place for Spegal since they still do run a full back and the full back is also given touches. Their current OC was a bigger running back similar to Spegal. He ran over the Gophers when NDSU beat them in 2007. They have won their last 6 FBS games including 3 Big XII and 2 B1G teams. They aren't Ohio State/Alabama level good, but they would be competitive with the middle of the B1G with their current roster.

If you watched the game Saturday former Decatur Central QB Bryce Jefferson started for Illinois State. Late in the 1st half he threw an interception to Michael Tutsie from Warren Central.

1 minute ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

No, you literally said that Spegal would fit in Nebraska's offense.  Everything after is you not owning your faux pas.

weak

Apparently so  😁