Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spegal to IU

21 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Not trying to reopen this can of worms, but read a quote this morning that would support T’s quote about the best having both. Nyheim Hines quote after returning 2 punts for TD’s yesterday against Carolina.....”Fast guys run track,” said Hines, a former national champion hurdler who became the first Colts player to score on 2 punt returns in one game. “But to play football, you have to be fast and you have to be quick on your feet.”  (Michael Marot AP)

I like it.  As good as a football player as Hines is, he was also an All-American track and field stud at NC State.  I’ll take his word for it.

Just don’t give me this “football speed is different than track speed” garbage.  Hines’ performance yesterday proved that speed is speed...

I’ve never argued that football requires different variables.  Track guys have the SPEED required...

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I like it.  As good as a football player as Hines is, he was also an All-American track and field stud at NC State.  I’ll take his word for it.

Just don’t give me this “football speed is different than track speed” garbage.  Hines’ performance yesterday proved that speed is speed...

I’ve never argued that football requires different variables.  Track guys have the SPEED required...

But what if the football speed is only good for 10-15 yards?  Is that something that isn't good for track?  I mean really, that wouldn't do anything for track.  

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

But what if the football speed is only good for 10-15 yards?  Is that something that isn't good for track?  I mean really, that wouldn't do anything for track.  

Sure it does. Guys getting out of the blocks quickly even if they don’t have the same top end speed as others can be a great equalizer, especially in the 55/60 (indoors) and 100/200 outdoors.

I’ve seen many guys in the 200 that don’t have great top end speed but know how to get out of the blocks and run the curve to perfection.

More football guys don’t make it in track than track guys that don’t make it in football.

A lot of football guys think they’re fast…until they try running track in the spring.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Sure it does. Guys getting out of the blocks quickly even if they don’t have the same top end speed as others can be a great equalizer, especially in the 55/60 (indoors) and 100/200 outdoors.

I’ve seen many guys in the 200 that don’t have great top end speed but know how to get out of the blocks and run the curve to perfection.

More football guys don’t make it in track than track guys that don’t make it in football.

A lot of football guys think they’re fast…until they try running track in the spring.

Understand perfectly, except the third sentence.  I know lots of track guys who would wilt on the football field, but I'm just a high school teacher, so maybe they aren't real track guys.  

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

Understand perfectly, except the third sentence.  I know lots of track guys who would wilt on the football field, but I'm just a high school teacher, so maybe they aren't real track guys.  

They might wilt on the football field but not due to a lack of speed...

There are many other variables required to be successful in football.

Mr. Spegal is the topic of this thread and is a prime example.  He was the fastest player on the field many times this fall and ran away from defensive backs yet was average at best on the track last spring.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

They might wilt on the football field but not due to a lack of speed...

There are many other variables required to be successful in football.

Mr. Spegal is the topic of this thread and is a prime example.  He was the fastest player on the field many times this fall and ran away from defensive backs yet was average at best on the track last spring.

Your last paragraph literally just made my case. Thank you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

12 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Your last paragraph literally just made my case. Thank you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

Your case was that Spegal played JV teams all year and played two actual teams with a pulse?  Where’d I miss that?

It’s easy to be the fastest player on the field when you run the gauntlet of the HHC...a different story in an non-classed sport like track where you feed into the Warren Central sectional is a whole .other ballgame.

Out running Shelbyville, Delta, Pendleton Heights, etc is a bit different than trying to out run Warren, Franklin Central and Roncalli.

Edited by Guest

On 12/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, DT said:

To each his own.  If Im going to invest the time to watch a football game, I have many options.  I choose those that are most appealing to me.  I do occasionally lower my standard when I watch IU football.  

If you watch the Bears you constantly lower your standards. 

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

4 hours ago, Temptation said:

Your case was that Spegal played JV teams all year and played two actual teams with a pulse?  Where’d I miss that?

It’s easy to be the fastest player on the field when you run the gauntlet of the HHC...a different story in an non-classed sport like track where you feed into the Warren Central sectional is a whole .other ballgame.

Out running Shelbyville, Delta, Pendleton Heights, etc is a bit different than trying to out run Warren, Franklin Central and Roncalli.

👌 

Watching Air Force and Washington State tonight.  CS would excel in this AF offense.  Lots of quick hitting fullback runs, Spegals specialty.  Current AF fullback is 6-2 , 220.  AF OL not huge.  Average about 6-3 and 275     Was CS recruited by the service academies?  

Edited by DT

5 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

He received an offer from Army. Check my past posts. 

Parker Ferguson, AFA 2 year starting LT, Center Grove grad. 

That AF line looks like a CG OL.  

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I bet that Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are grateful that the elite track speed of Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson “translated” to the football field.

Phew...

On 1/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, Temptation said:

Man, I bet that Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are grateful that the elite track speed of Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson “translated” to the football field.

Phew...

This makes more sense to me than anything.

http://trackfootballconsortium.com/the-death-of-football-fast-and-track-speed/

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, Staxawax said:

Brings up an interesting question.

If memory serves correctly an athlete could play in 3 games and still red shirt. Does that change this year with the decrease in the schedule?

All athletes have been granted an extra year of eligibility due to Covid.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/08/21/ncaa-grants-extra-year-of-eligibility-to-fall-sport-athletes-addresses-scholarships-in-light-of-covid-19/

• Like 1