Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should ND Decline the Bowl Invitation?

Bobref

Conference championships don't matter.  Not when the discussion on Saturday was centered on OSU/LSU losing but still making the playoff, just as a lower seed.  That 13th data point doesn't matter when most of these teams are playing FCS teams during the season. So really ND is playing the same amount of FBS teams as anyone else.  Until there is some sort of uniform scheduling policy (number of conference games, no FCS on the non-conference schedule, etc.) no one can complain about Notre Dame's independence.  They play as good of a schedule as just about anyone in the country.

Also, no one is strong-arming ND into a conference, especially by expanding the playoff and especially the NCAA. ND will tell the NCAA to kick rocks.  And expanded playoff only makes it easier for ND.  As long as it's a four-team playoff, there will never be a stipulation that you must win your conference to be in. No conference will vote for that because it eliminates the ability to get two teams in. Now if ND goes 11-1/12-0 a few times and gets left out, that would change a lot.  Just don't see the committee doing that.  

32 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I believe Ohio State played 5, when they played Wisconsin for the 2nd time in the Big 10 Championship.  (please know I am anything but a Buckeye fan....makes me sick to my stomach)

We finally have something in common...can we build from this?

2 hours ago, Sacked said:

My question for Notre Dame fans is how long are they going to keep Brian Kelley around without winning a national championship? I can't think of any other coach for the Irish that has been their that long without winning one. 

Yes, as they should.

Winning 10-11 games at a place like Notre Dame that is unwilling to cut as many corners as the elites of the sport is one hell of an accomplishment and should not be overlooked.  They cannot even actively recruit many of the same players as the Clemson's, Alabama's and Georgia's of the world.  Kelly has them as a top 10-15 power annually which is an upgrade over any of the previous coaches since Holtz.  Be careful what you wish for...

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

Winning 10-11 games at a place like Notre Dame that is unwilling to cut as many corners as the elites of the sport is one hell of an accomplishment and should not be overlooked.  They cannot even actively recruit many of the same players as the Clemson's, Alabama's and Georgia's of the world.  Kelly has them as a top 10-15 power annually which is an upgrade over any of the previous coaches since Holtz.  Be careful what you wish for...

I hear you, and don’t disagree. But as an independent, whose only goal every year has to be to get to the final four, ND has to ask two questions:

1. Am I satisfied with beating everyone I should, but virtually never winning as an underdog?
  2. if the answer is “no,” how do I do better than that? 

42 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I hear you, and don’t disagree. But as an independent, whose only goal every year has to be to get to the final four, ND has to ask two questions:

1. Am I satisfied with beating everyone I should, but virtually never winning as an underdog?
  2. if the answer is “no,” how do I do better than that? 

Cheat...like everyone else.

You show me a clean program, I’ll show you a mediocre one.

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I assume that is tongue in cheek.

Unfortunately, not anymore.  It’s worse than its ever been.  You can choose to produce doctors or all-American football players, rarely both.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Notre Dame runs a clean program ... and I would hardly call them mediocre.

Let’s settle on “average.”

ONE top 25 win and The Camping World Bowl is my evidence.  Yours?

Edited by Guest

Just now, TrojanDad said:

Some of the marquis players that are known to be high NFL draft pics.  They seem to be the exception and not the rule.  I would guess the vast, vast majority of players would prefer to play in an additional bowl game vs. sitting at home.

As far as value of being independent vs. being in a conference.....I am not sure one way or the other.  I would think more would be independent if it were truly financially better.

Playing games in Ireland and Green Bay are products of being independent.  They are are in California every year, the criss cross the nation and play in almost every region of the country every 2-3 years.  You have pockets of ND fans everywhere, which contributes to an alumni base that stretches across the country.  Those alumni in turn, donate money for many years.

33 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Let’s settle on “average.”

ONE top 25 win and The Camping World Bowl is my evidence.  Yours?

I am in no way a Notre Dame fan but come on. They played 5 top 25 teams and beat three of them. Far from an average team. Just not the dominate force they once was. 

4 minutes ago, Sacked said:

I am in no way a Notre Dame fan but come on. They played 5 top 25 teams and beat three of them. Far from an average team. Just not the dominate force they once was. 

Top 25 WHEN they played...

Better hope Navy wins tomorrow and stays ranked...

5 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I see your point....although the teams ND play in those venues are not independent.  I think kids put some value on that, but not sure if more than picking up bling in a bowl game.  I certainly agree there are ND fans everywhere....but I sure couldn't find them at Stanford just a couple of weeks ago....that small stadium was embarrassingly empty.  

I would think the Big 10 and SEC do pretty good for their member teams when it comes to generating income...there had to be a reasons teams worked to get in them and some have to travel great distances to play their games.  I'm not saying ND would increase revenues by going to a conference....I am just saying there are pros and cons of being independent.

I agree.  I think every school has to find what works best for them. I think ND has a pretty good deal with the ACC. Is it perfect? No. However I think it is the best situation available.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Top 25 WHEN they played...

Better hope Navy wins tomorrow and stays ranked...

As it has been said on this forum for years, the only rankings that matter are the ones at the end of the year. 

The CFP rankings are done. Spots 5-25 will not change. 

1 minute ago, Sacked said:

As it has been said on this forum for years, the only rankings that matter are the ones at the end of the year. 

The CFP rankings are done. Spots 5-25 will not change. 

Yep, makes my point.  USC and UVA were overrated when they played ND as the "end of the year" rankings show both outside of the top 25...

13 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Yep, makes my point.  USC and UVA were overrated when they played ND as the "end of the year" rankings show both outside of the top 25...

Not sure where you are getting your rankings but the final CFP poll has 

USC- #22

Navy- #23

UVA- #24

That is three top 25 wins.