Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should ND Decline the Bowl Invitation?

Bobref

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

Let’s settle on “average.”

ONE top 25 win and The Camping World Bowl is my evidence.  Yours?

Let’s settle on “average.”

ONE top 25 win and The Camping World Bowl is my evidence.  Yours?

Not sure how you define “average.” Could be the mean, the median, or the mode. But any way you slice it, there are 130 FBS teams and the Irish are #15. That’s not “average” in anyone’s math. And that’s if you look at only at a single season’s results. If you want to talk historically ... well, that’s not “average” either.

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Actually, it was only “average” ... for the Irish. 😂🤣😅

Correct. 

All 10-2 seasons are not viewed equally.  See Minnesota and Notre Dame

Let's see if we can agree on two consecutive things.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Correct. 

All 10-2 seasons are not viewed equally.  See Minnesota and Notre Dame

Let's see if we can agree on two consecutive things.

Yes, let’s see. If they played, ND would be a 9 pt. favorite. 

But I take your point. For Minnesota fans, this season is the stuff of which dreams are made. For ND, not so much.

46 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Some would advocate just accepting this as the “new normal.” 

29 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Yep.

I didn’t say I would. Gets like this will help. https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Five-star-RB-Chris-Tyree-says-hes-100-percent-signing-with-Notre-Dame-140389858/

Edited by Bobref

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Even in their two recent "undefeated" regular seasons they had their doors blown off in the postseason, proving they really did not belong.  The gap between the top 6-8 programs in America is as large as its ever been and is growing by the day.

Most SEC schools, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma are willing to do things that other programs are not willing to do.  

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Even in their two recent "undefeated" regular seasons they had their doors blown off in the postseason, proving they really did not belong.  The gap between the top 6-8 programs in America is as large as its ever been and is growing by the day.

Most SEC schools, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma are willing to do things that other programs are not willing to do.  

So, unless you win the national championship, you don’t belong? Interesting. Certainly there are schools that bend or break the rules, although I wouldn’t necessarily put those you’ve named in that category. But if what you’re trying to say is that ND will never be in that class unless they compromise their principles, I just have 2 observations:

1. Although accepting anyone with a pulse as long as they run a 4.4 or squat 600# makes it easier to get to that level, it’s not an absolute prerequisite.

2. But if that’s what it takes, too bad. Principles are more important than championships.

18 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Just curious. What do you think that these schools do that other are not willing to do? 

2 minutes ago, Sacked said:

Just curious. What do you think that these schools do that other are not willing to do? 

Academic standards are lower; willing to accept JUCO's...

Paying players/impermissible benefits.

Over signing...

Just off the top of my head.

13 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, unless you win the national championship, you don’t belong? Interesting. Certainly there are schools that bend or break the rules, although I wouldn’t necessarily put those you’ve named in that category. But if what you’re trying to say is that ND will never be in that class unless they compromise their principles, I just have 2 observations:

1. Although accepting anyone with a pulse as long as they run a 4.4 or squat 600# makes it easier to get to that level, it’s not an absolute prerequisite.

2. But if that’s what it takes, too bad. Principles are more important than championships.

I agree which is why they should keep Kelly.  They should not aim to become simply a football factory like other institutions.

A story that proves my point:  Upon being hired,  a head coach at a prestigious institution nearly on par with Notre Dame academically took a list of his top 50 prospects to the admissions office and was immediately told they could only honestly offer 33 of the 50 kids on his list as the other 17 would not qualify or pass admissions academically.

That’s a tough hill to climb.  ND will get it’s fair share of 4/5 stars but the platoons being built at the programs mentioned above are tough to overcome.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

A story that proves my point:  Upon being hired,  a head coach at a prestigious institution nearly on par with Notre Dame academically took a list of his top 50 prospects to the admissions office and was immediately told they could only honestly offer 33 of the 50 kids on his list as the other 17 would not qualify or pass admissions academically.

The example that was given to me was that of the ESPN Top 100, Notre Dame would not even bother talking to half of them.

Clemson beat Alabama by a wider spread than they did ND; so did Alabama not belong either? While ND was the weaker of the 4 teams last year, no one else had done what they needed to replace them in that 4 slot. Now, the previous season, no doubt, BUT Bama was in a class by itself. They would have beaten the doors off of ANY team they would have played that year; even if it had been a rematch with Georgia. 

I would also disagree with the comment that most SEC schools are willing to do things others are not. In recent seasons, there have been 2 MAYBE 3 good teams. This year, I would say 4, giving Georgia some credit; then again, LSU certainly dispelled any thoughts about UGA. 

I do agree that the gap between the top few programs and the rest is as big as it has ever been. And, as others have said, for a program at a school like Notre Dame to be where they are, with the tougher admission standards. I am not making excuses for them. I would LOVE to see them take the next step as far as being competitive. Playing teams like Georgia, Clemson, Alabama down the road a bit is a good way to measure where the program is. 

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Clemson beat Alabama by a wider spread than they did ND; so did Alabama not belong either? While ND was the weaker of the 4 teams last year, no one else had done what they needed to replace them in that 4 slot. Now, the previous season, no doubt, BUT Bama was in a class by itself. They would have beaten the doors off of ANY team they would have played that year; even if it had been a rematch with Georgia. 

I would also disagree with the comment that most SEC schools are willing to do things others are not. In recent seasons, there have been 2 MAYBE 3 good teams. This year, I would say 4, giving Georgia some credit; then again, LSU certainly dispelled any thoughts about UGA. 

I do agree that the gap between the top few programs and the rest is as big as it has ever been. And, as others have said, for a program at a school like Notre Dame to be where they are, with the tougher admission standards. I am not making excuses for them. I would LOVE to see them take the next step as far as being competitive. Playing teams like Georgia, Clemson, Alabama down the road a bit is a good way to measure where the program is. 

Next year: Clemson @ Notre Dame, Nov. 7.  We could use some nice, cold South Bend weather that Saturday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

So they will just accept irrelevance?  Hardly the "caliber" of the grand old dame.

I don’t think Notre Dame will ever be “irrelevant.”   But getting rid of Kelly would be a bad move.

It’s playoff or bust of these days which puts them in even more of a precarious position as they don’t even get a chance to compete for a conference championship as a consolation prize.

They were eliminated from playoff contention the moment they lost to Georgia in early September and dirt was thrown on top of their grave after they lost to Michigan. They played a lot of “irrelevant” games after that.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, Sacked said:

Any more questions after what transpired last night after the game?