Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Turf 2020 and Beyond

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, Cappy said:

I think the ROI would be influenced by the situation as well, for example, North Posey had a water issue that had completely ruined the track. The whole field had to be destroyed to fix the problem, it was going to cost over $200,000 to have grass put back and $700,000 to have turf. Over the last 15 years we have spent over $200,000 to try to have a decent grass field and that doesn't include watering or mowing expenses. To keep damage down the PE classes didn't use it, the Varsity or JV didn't practice on it, the band was limited with their usage, and when we host relay for life we had to keep people off it. 

Now everyone gets to use it, the youth league, JR High, and High School teams  all practice on it. Track team will use it (especially helpful for runners with fighting shine splints,) the baseball/softball teams will have access to use it during wet practices, the boys and girls soccer teams can have games on it (although so far they don't want too,) we can include the field into our relay for life event, and the PE classes spend more time on it than any sport! 

No doubt the initial expense is high and we don't know yet what we don't know about its upkeep, but I can tell you it sure looks nice. Many in our community are proud of it, and we are sure using it compared to the old grass field. I think it could become a community builder with our relay for life and some other activities we plan to use it for in the future.

What schools are on their 3rd turf field?

You could do radio testimonies for the product! A+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

You could do radio testimonies for the product! A+

Our grass field at New Palestine was a rutted mess and we spent a small fortune trying to just get it in playable shape. It was *only* used for the 15 or so varsity/JV/frosh games we'd host in a given year, as well as some band practices. 

Since putting in the turf, the field is probably used 200 days a year. The football team practices on it daily (and when they're not practicing on it, the soccer teams are). Both soccer teams host 1-2 games a year on it. Baseball practices on it in the winter and early spring. Summer/offseason workouts in multiple sports, club soccer teams rent the facility. It's been great. We've since built a new softball field with turf and are considering adding turf to our other outdoor venues because of the cost savings on maintenance and the amount of use (also, if you have turf fields, you're more likely to host IHSAA tournament events because the better drainage lessens the likelihood of a weather delay/cancellation). 

• Like 4

https://www.safehealthyplayingfields.org/heat-levels-synthetic-turf

SYNTHETIC TURF IS 40-70 DEGREES HOTTER THAN SURROUNDING AIR TEMPERATURES ON WARM SUNNY DAYS

On clear warm days, synthetic turf fields get superheated to temperatures from 120 to 180 degrees F. Playing on synthetic turf can melt shoes, blister hands and feet, and induce dehydration and heatstroke.

Something to consider regarding player safety.

20 hours ago, Mod22 said:

I haven't seen it on here yet,  but Tipton debuted their new turf last Friday.

Hey, thanks man. I didn't have them! 

43 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.safehealthyplayingfields.org/heat-levels-synthetic-turf

Something to consider regarding player safety.

Completely fabricated lol 

Marginally, marginally hotter on the turf. Moving on. 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, gonzoron said:

9/2/2022. Sooner than I thought! 

300592715_10222994170468875_7073635347658873105_n.jpg

300627617_10222994171108891_5142525923236272726_n.jpg

301470898_10222994170108866_8379456720207376982_n.jpg

Thanks!! Looks great! 

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Maybe not lies, but kind of like Darwin, depending on old data can bite you in the ass. 
They were clearly hotter early on, the second Gen fields not so much. Probably a little hotter than a natural grass field but when it’s 95 at KO, does it really matter?

I can back none of my opinion up with scientific data, just from working on them the last 20 years. 

31 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Maybe not lies, but kind of like Darwin, depending on old data can bite you in the ass. 
They were clearly hotter early on, the second Gen fields not so much. Probably a little hotter than a natural grass field but when it’s 95 at KO, does it really matter?

I can back none of my opinion up with scientific data, just from working on them the last 20 years. 

Yup. On the turf every single day, on a 90+ degree day, sure it can get just a little bit hotter than grass, maybe. 

And we are already being absurdly cautious (as we should) on days that are on the hot side/wet bulb being high. These are articles are useless, yes heat is hot lol 

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Either way, @Muda69 you are rude to constantly badger this thread every time it's posted in. I've, multiple times, asked you to just make your own thread and we can discuss the positives and negatives of turf. 

You don't have the decency to do so. 

Sorry you feel like your little thread fiefdom is being infringed upon. Go ahead, continue your turf navel gazing.