Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Turf 2020 and Beyond

Last off-season myself and a few others on this board (and my gf) went sectional by sectional throughout the state and found who has turf/doesn't. I might have maybe a few wrong, but this list is pretty accurate. 

If you know of a school that is getting turf for 2020 or is voting on it soon, or has it in the works for 2021 please let me know. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8    
Crown Point Chesterton Carroll Carmel Avon BD LC Center Grove 32 Total
Lake Central Penn Homestead Westfield Brownsburg Tech WC CN 31 Turf
Merrillville Portage Noblesville HSE Pike Perry Meridian LN CE 1 Not Turf
Laf Jeff Valpo Warsaw Fishers Zionsville Southport North Central Franklin Cent    
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16    
LaPorte Concord FW BD Anderson Decatur Cent Franklin Bloom South BNL 34  
Michigan City Elk Central FW Snider Laf Harrison Plainfield New Pal Bloom North FC 24  
Mishawaka Elk Memorial FW Northrop Kokomo TH North Seymour Castle NA 8  
Munster Goshen FW NS McCutheon TH South Whiteland Ev North Jeff (2020) 2 No home field
SB Adams       Cathedral          
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24    
East Chicago Culver Angola Delta Connersville Beech Grove East Central Boonville 62  
Gary WS Kankakee Valley Columbia City FW SS Greenfield Central Frankfort Greenwood Jasper 34  
Griffith Logansport DeKalb FW Wayne Mt. Vernon Fortville   JC Eville Central 26  
Hammond Gavit New Prairie East Noble Huntington North Muncie Central Attucks Madison Eville Memorial 1 Haven't heard from
Hammond Morton Plymouth Leo Jay County New Castle Shortridge SC Eville Reitz 1  
Highland SB Clay Northridge Marion Pendleton Heights Lebanon Mooresville Eville Harrison    
Hobart SB Riley NorthWood Mississinewa Richmond Roncalli Martinsville Northview    
Lowell SB St Joe Wawasee New Haven Shelbyville Western SD      

25 26 27 28  
Hammond Lakeland FW Concordia Guerin 64
Hammond Clarke John Glenn Belmont Brebeuf 18
Hanover Central West Noble Oak Hill Crawfordsville 42
River Forest Mis Marion Peru Chatard  
Knox Garrett Northwestern North Montgomery 4
Calumet SB Wash Maconquah West Laf  
Benton Central Jimtown Norwell Hamilton Heights  
Twin Lakes Tipp Valley Heritage Yorktown  
29 30 31 32  
West Vigo Washington Brownstown Ev Bosse  
Ritter Princeton Scottsburg Gibson So  
Greencastle Sullivan Charlestown (2020) Mt. Vernon  
Danville Pike Central Lawrenceburg Heritage Hills  
Tri West Vinncennes Franklin Co Salem  
Manual Owen Valley Batesville Cordyon  
Indpls Wash Brown Co Greensburg North Harrison  
Indian Creek Edgewood Rushville Southridge  
33 34 35 36  
Andrean Bremen Bluffton Alexandria 64
Boone Grove Delphi Central Noble Blackford 12
Bowman LaVille Eastside Eastbrook 47
Hammon Bishop Noll Lewis Cass Fairfield Eastern (Greentown) 2
North Newton Manchester Luers Elwood 3
Ren Central Pioneer Whitko Frankton  
Wheeler Rochester Woodlan Lapel  
Whiting Wabash Prairie Heights Tipton  
37 38 39 40  
Cascade Centerville Clarksville Forest Park  
Monrovia Eastern Hancock Pekin North Posey  
North Putnam Heritage Christian Providence Eville Mater Dei  
Seegar Howe Paoli Crawford Co  
South Vermillion Scecina Mitchell Linton  
Southmont Northeastern Switzerland Co North Knox  
Speedway Shenandoah Triton Central Tell City  
Western Boone Winchester Union Co South Spencer  
41 42 43 44 64
Culver Community Carroll (Flora) Madison-Grant Adams Central 64
Gary Roosevelt Clinton Central Monroe Central Caston 5
Lake Station Edison Clinton Prairie South Adams Fremont 57
North Judson Frontier Southern Wells North Miami 2
West Central LCC Taylor Northfield 1
Winamac North White Tri-Central Southwood  
South Newton Traders Point Academy Union City Triton  
South Central (Union Mills) Tri-County Wes Del Churubusco  
45 46 47 48  
Attica Anderon Prep Cambridge City Eastern Greene  
Cloverdale Covenant Christian Hagerstown North Central (Farmersburg)  
Covington Edinburgh Knighstown North Daviess  
Fountain Central School of Deaf Milan Perry Central  
North Vermillion Lutheran North Decatur West Washington  
Parke Heritage Park Tudor South Decatur Rock Creek  
Riverton Parke Sheridan Tri Springs Valley  
South Putnam Tindley Oldenburg Tecumseh  

Edited by btownqbcoach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

It's impossible to justify the initial install. Replacing the turf after the initial install is justifiable. 

I know when I was taking my master's classes, I did a cost analysis project comparing the values of turf to natural grass.

The information I was given by turf install companies was a minimum of 10 year warranty on the initial turf field.

Are schools that are on their 2nd and 3rd turf field, getting a ROI?  Price break on 2nd, 3rd turf field?  Etc.

HS-I would still take a natural playing surface like NJSP over any turf field.

College-I would still take a natural playing surface like LSU over any turf field.

Pro-I would still take a natural playing surface like Green Bay over any turf field.

Regardless of conditions.  To me, that's part of football.  Both teams need to play in the elements.

Get rid of domes/retractables too.

#NowGetOffMyLawn

14 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

All natural baby!

Wonder if the ROI is still worth it for turf fields?

Sure doesn't seem like it.  Some schools are on their 3rd turf.

I think the ROI would be influenced by the situation as well, for example, North Posey had a water issue that had completely ruined the track. The whole field had to be destroyed to fix the problem, it was going to cost over $200,000 to have grass put back and $700,000 to have turf. Over the last 15 years we have spent over $200,000 to try to have a decent grass field and that doesn't include watering or mowing expenses. To keep damage down the PE classes didn't use it, the Varsity or JV didn't practice on it, the band was limited with their usage, and when we host relay for life we had to keep people off it. 

Now everyone gets to use it, the youth league, JR High, and High School teams  all practice on it. Track team will use it (especially helpful for runners with fighting shine splints,) the baseball/softball teams will have access to use it during wet practices, the boys and girls soccer teams can have games on it (although so far they don't want too,) we can include the field into our relay for life event, and the PE classes spend more time on it than any sport! 

No doubt the initial expense is high and we don't know yet what we don't know about its upkeep, but I can tell you it sure looks nice. Many in our community are proud of it, and we are sure using it compared to the old grass field. I think it could become a community builder with our relay for life and some other activities we plan to use it for in the future.

What schools are on their 3rd turf field?

I did the math with an AD friend of mine who had recently installed their second carpet. Cost wise they came out a little to the good with the turf, but it wasn't a great deal of savings over grass. Most of the people I've talked to are getting 10-12 years of life out per install. It's not hard to tell when they're ready to be replaced. 

One factor that's hard to quantify is the fact you can play in a driving rain on Friday night, with zero maintenance you're ready to go for the JV/Frosh Saturday morning, and still no maintenance for the youth league on Saturday afternoon/Sunday, and it's still ready to got for practice all week as well as MS games. 

I agree 100% it's a capital outlay on the first go around, and I struggled in my own mind when the local school opted for it. But I sure don't miss twisted ankles, muddy clothes, and ruined shoes/knickers/socks. Of course we don't have those things anymore, but you get the gist of what I'm saying. 

2 minutes ago, Cappy said:

I think the ROI would be influenced by the situation as well, for example, North Posey had a water issue that had completely ruined the track. The whole field had to be destroyed to fix the problem, it was going to cost over $200,000 to have grass put back and $700,000 to have turf. Over the last 15 years we have spent over $200,000 to try to have a decent grass field and that doesn't include watering or mowing expenses. To keep damage down the PE classes didn't use it, the Varsity or JV didn't practice on it, the band was limited with their usage, and when we host relay for life we had to keep people off it. 

Now everyone gets to use it, the youth league, JR High, and High School teams  all practice on it. Track team will use it (especially helpful for runners with fighting shine splints,) the baseball/softball teams will have access to use it during wet practices, the boys and girls soccer teams can have games on it (although so far they don't want too,) we can include the field into our relay for life event, and the PE classes spend more time on it than any sport! 

No doubt the initial expense is high and we don't know yet what we don't know about its upkeep, but I can tell you it sure looks nice. Many in our community are proud of it, and we are sure using it compared to the old grass field. I think it could become a community builder with our relay for life and some other activities we plan to use it for in the future.

What schools are on their 3rd turf field?

I thought Lafayette Jeff was on their 3rd turf.  If not, I apologize.  

4 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I did the math with an AD friend of mine who had recently installed their second carpet. Cost wise they came out a little to the good with the turf, but it wasn't a great deal of savings over grass. Most of the people I've talked to are getting 10-12 years of life out per install. It's not hard to tell when they're ready to be replaced. 

One factor that's hard to quantify is the fact you can play in a driving rain on Friday night, with zero maintenance you're ready to go for the JV/Frosh Saturday morning, and still no maintenance for the youth league on Saturday afternoon/Sunday, and it's still ready to got for practice all week as well as MS games. 

I agree 100% it's a capital outlay on the first go around, and I struggled in my own mind when the local school opted for it. But I sure don't miss twisted ankles, muddy clothes, and ruined shoes/knickers/socks. Of course we don't have those things anymore, but you get the gist of what I'm saying. 

I can't hi-light your 2nd paragraph, but you won't get an argument for me on any of that.

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

Last off-season myself and a few others on this board (and my gf) went sectional by sectional throughout the state and found who has turf/doesn't. I might have maybe a few wrong, but this list is pretty accurate. 

If you know of a school that is getting turf for 2020 or is voting on it soon, or has it in the works for 2021 please let me know. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8    
Crown Point Chesterton Carroll Carmel Avon BD LC Center Grove 32 Total
Lake Central Penn Homestead Westfield Brownsburg Tech WC CN 31 Turf
Merrillville Portage Noblesville HSE Pike Perry Meridian LN CE 1 Not Turf
Laf Jeff Valpo Warsaw Fishers Zionsville Southport North Central Franklin Cent    
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16    
LaPorte Concord FW BD Anderson Decatur Cent Franklin Bloom South BNL 34  
Michigan City Elk Central FW Snider Laf Harrison Plainfield New Pal Bloom North FC 24  
Mishawaka Elk Memorial FW Northrop Kokomo TH North Seymour Castle NA 8  
Munster Goshen FW NS McCutheon TH South Whiteland Ev North Jeff (2020) 2 No home field
SB Adams       Cathedral          
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24    
East Chicago Culver Angola Delta Connersville Beech Grove East Central Boonville 62  
Gary WS Kankakee Valley Columbia City FW SS Greenfield Central Frankfort Greenwood Jasper 34  
Griffith Logansport DeKalb FW Wayne Mt. Vernon Fortville   JC Eville Central 26  
Hammond Gavit New Prairie East Noble Huntington North Muncie Central Attucks Madison Eville Memorial 1 Haven't heard from
Hammond Morton Plymouth Leo Jay County New Castle Shortridge SC Eville Reitz 1  
Highland SB Clay Northridge Marion Pendleton Heights Lebanon Mooresville Eville Harrison    
Hobart SB Riley NorthWood Mississinewa Richmond Roncalli Martinsville Northview    
Lowell SB St Joe Wawasee New Haven Shelbyville Western SD      

25 26 27 28  
Hammond Lakeland FW Concordia Guerin 64
Hammond Clarke John Glenn Belmont Brebeuf 18
Hanover Central West Noble Oak Hill Crawfordsville 42
River Forest Mis Marion Peru Chatard  
Knox Garrett Northwestern North Montgomery 4
Calumet SB Wash Maconquah West Laf  
Benton Central Jimtown Norwell Hamilton Heights  
Twin Lakes Tipp Valley Heritage Yorktown  
29 30 31 32  
West Vigo Washington Brownstown Ev Bosse  
Ritter Princeton Scottsburg Gibson So  
Greencastle Sullivan Charlestown (2020) Mt. Vernon  
Danville Pike Central Lawrenceburg Heritage Hills  
Tri West Vinncennes Franklin Co Salem  
Manual Owen Valley Batesville Cordyon  
Indpls Wash Brown Co Greensburg North Harrison  
Indian Creek Edgewood Rushville Southridge  
33 34 35 36  
Andrean Bremen Bluffton Alexandria 64
Boone Grove Delphi Central Noble Blackford 12
Bowman LaVille Eastside Eastbrook 47
Hammon Bishop Noll Lewis Cass Fairfield Eastern (Greentown) 2
North Newton Manchester Luers Elwood 3
Ren Central Pioneer Whitko Frankton  
Wheeler Rochester Woodlan Lapel  
Whiting Wabash Prairie Heights Tipton  
37 38 39 40  
Cascade Centerville Clarksville Forest Park  
Monrovia Eastern Hancock Pekin North Posey  
North Putnam Heritage Christian Providence Eville Mater Dei  
Seegar Howe Paoli Crawford Co  
South Vermillion Scecina Mitchell Linton  
Southmont Northeastern Switzerland Co North Knox  
Speedway Shenandoah Triton Central Tell City  
Western Boone Winchester Union Co South Spencer  
41 42 43 44 64
Culver Community Carroll (Flora) Madison-Grant Adams Central 64
Gary Roosevelt Clinton Central Monroe Central Caston 5
Lake Station Edison Clinton Prairie South Adams Fremont 57
North Judson Frontier Southern Wells North Miami 2
West Central LCC Taylor Northfield 1
Winamac North White Tri-Central Southwood  
South Newton Traders Point Academy Union City Triton  
South Central (Union Mills) Tri-County Wes Del Churubusco  
45 46 47 48  
Attica Anderon Prep Cambridge City Eastern Greene  
Cloverdale Covenant Christian Hagerstown North Central (Farmersburg)  
Covington Edinburgh Knighstown North Daviess  
Fountain Central School of Deaf Milan Perry Central  
North Vermillion Lutheran North Decatur West Washington  
Parke Heritage Park Tudor South Decatur Rock Creek  
Riverton Parke Sheridan Tri Springs Valley  
South Putnam Tindley Oldenburg Tecumseh  

Chatard now has a home field (after some 50+ years) where playoff games can take place.  The new home field is turf.  So, that would appear to be a change needed on your chart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

HS-I would still take a natural playing surface like NJSP over any turf field.

College-I would still take a natural playing surface like LSU over any turf field.

Pro-I would still take a natural playing surface like Green Bay over any turf field.

Regardless of conditions.  To me, that's part of football.  Both teams need to play in the elements.

Get rid of domes/retractables too.

#NowGetOffMyLawn

Unfortunately not all HS fields are like your dream field.

College/pro, I really don't care, they can afford whatever they want.

5 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

They could be.

I'll have to tell you about it some time.  Great story the AD shared w me.

12 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I believe Green Bay went to a Hybrid field that is natural grass reinforced with synthetic fibers. Bet that cost $$$

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cappy said:

I believe Green Bay went to a Hybrid field that is natural grass reinforced with synthetic fibers. Bet that cost $$$

if so , now wonder why it looks uhhhhhhhhhmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyZING!

18 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Green Bay has switched to SIS Grass in the last year. They also employ grow lights to extend the growing season. Little known fact, SIS Grass is the preferred surface for Soccer pitches the world over. 

fac

58 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

For that example, I am just comparing college to college and pro to pro.

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

@btownqbcoach

I apologize.  I should've FIRST said thank you for this awesome graph and discussion topic.  GREAT work.

No problem, I enjoy. We as a state are approaching 50% of schools with turf. I think it's a great thing. 

It'll probably take two months or so for all the schools that could possibly get turf, decide on whether or not they will this coming school year or not, so I will have the final numbers then.