Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Turf 2020 and Beyond

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, btownqbcoach said:

Anyone have an update here? 

New schools with turf this coming year, as of now: Madison, Jeffersonville, Charlestown all 2020. For 2021- Columbia City and FW Carroll 

WW recently had a open meeting about it, but haven't heard anything else. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WWFan said:

WW recently had a open meeting about it, but haven't heard anything else. 

It is even more beneficial for smaller schools (in smaller areas) than it would be for a school in Indy to have turf. What I mean by that... My gf is an AT at Noblesville (obviously a huge school) but this applies for a school like Sheridan, as well. When their softball field is too wet, they can go and still have a turf practice just indoors at Finch Creek or Grand Park. Where we are at we don't really have that kind of an opportunity, thus making the turf football field that much more valuable. 

I bet if you and Salem both went in on turf there would be some sort of a discount. 

I know BNL is looking into doing the football field, softball, and baseball. 

16 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Anyone know of a school that is absolutely opposed to field turf?  I've been told that Bremen has no interest.  Football patriarch Don Bunge laid the seeds on the field and it will always be grass.

I'd really like to steer clear of the turf vs. grass discussion here. I appreciate your post though. 

58 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Anyone know of a school that is absolutely opposed to field turf?  I've been told that Bremen has no interest.  Football patriarch Don Bunge laid the seeds on the field and it will always be grass.

Well it appears that the entire South Dearborn community is against turf, or spending money on improvements in general. Which is a shame because the administration sees the need, but is handcuffed... and shackled at the feet too. 

4 minutes ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Well it appears that the entire South Dearborn community is against turf, or spending money on improvements in general. Which is a shame because the administration sees the need, but is handcuffed... and shackled at the feet too. 

Interesting

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

As with yours.

I just want facts. You want to start a discussion on turf vs. grass... or turf and who should get it and who should pay for it. Yoda yoda, go do it in another thread. 

I want to know... who is getting turf in 2020 and beyond, other than that, I really do not care. 

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Nice to see a community of taxpayers who realize the limits and place of government school corporations, and have an actual desire to be fiscally responsible.

You do realize turf helps reduce yearly maintenance costs and allows for the community to utilize that space more often and for more than football. Well worth the cost in the long run.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

I just want facts.

I gave out obvious facts.  Sorry that you don't yet have your dream of every government high school in the state, and by extension the taxpayers, paying for the extravagance of field turf.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I gave out obvious facts.  Sorry that you don't yet have your dream of every government high school in the state, and by extension the taxpayers, paying for the extravagance of field turf.

Now you're putting words in my mouth, awesome man. You gave no facts. 

But yet, you aren't ruining the thread. Riiiiiiiight. Again... go away, start your own thread, you aren't wanted in this one. 

Edited by btownqbcoach
  • Disdain 1

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Nice to see a community of taxpayers who realize the limits and place of government school corporations, and have an actual desire to be fiscally responsible.

You do realize that turf reduces yearly maintenance costs (water, mowing, fertilizer, and paint) and allows other sports/activities to use the same space without destroying the field. Worth the investment in the long run. 

3 minutes ago, NICParentalFigure said:

You do realize turf helps reduce yearly maintenance costs and allows for the community to utilize that space more often and for more than football. Well worth the cost in the long run.

https://the-blueprint.org/turf-fields-have-pros-and-cons/

As for drawbacks, artificial turf can be a heat hazard. According to redhenturf.com, the surface of an artificial turf field on a sunny day in the summer can reach more than 140 degrees. There have been many reports according to redhenturf.com that show players suffer more joint injuries on artificial turf compared to players that compete on grass fields.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/does-playing-on-artificial-turf-pose-a-health-risk-for-your-child/2017/03/17/0c61b7b4-0380-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html

With concerns about concussions and cancer, parents have become alarmed by reports in the media of increased injuries and illnesses.

And there is the further question of who is responsible for assuring the safety of these fields: The Environmental Protection Agency? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention? The Consumer Product Safety Commission?

As an environmental health professor who has examined a variety of environmental problems and as a soccer dad who watched my son play on these fields for years, I think it’s worth examining the facts and myths about artificial-turf fields and what hazards may or may not be associated with playing on them. Based on studies I have reviewed and conducted, I believe there is a potential health risk because of the chemicals in tires, which are recycled into crumbs to support the plastic blades of synthetic grass.

Artificial turf is made up of three major parts:

1. Backing material that will serve to hold the individual blades of artificial grass.

2. The plastic blades themselves.

3. The infill, those tiny black crumbs, that helps support the blades.

Various pigments are used to provide the green color of the blades. These can include lead or titanium for the white lines and still other metals for school logos on the field.

Those little black crumbs are the problems. Tires can be toxic.

Modern tires are a mixture of natural and synthetic rubber, carbon black — a material made from petroleum — and somewhere between four and 10 gallons of petroleum products. They also contain metals, including cadmium, lead, which is neurotoxic, and zinc.

Some of the chemicals in tires, such as dibenzopyrenes, are known carcinogens.

Also, in addition to chemicals used in the manufacture of the tire, any chemical the tires were exposed to in their use can become absorbed on the carbon black in the tires.

Even though artificial turf does not have to be mowed, it turns out that crab grass and other weeds can start growing in it. To keep its finely manicured appearance, weedkillers need to be applied, a relatively common practice.

Unfortunately, a variety of health concerns have been linked to these products.

Also, artificial turf is often treated with biocides, as turf has been associated with increased risk of infections from methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. MRSA is a dangerous infection because it is resistant to many antibiotics. It can lead to pneumonia, sepsis and bloodstream infections that can prove fatal. An MRSA infection can happen after skin is scraped or cut, which can occur from sliding on artificial turf.

Biocides, however, may have toxic effects of their own. And they may also contribute to increased resistance of bacteria to the efficacy of these agents.

The key question on exposure is: Do these chemicals get into children playing on these fields?

While it is true that the tire crumbs are large, it is easy to show that they don't necessarily remain large over the life of the field. In a New Jersey study, we employed a robot we call PIPER (Pretoddler Inhalable Particulate Environmental Robotic) to study if there were inhalable exposures from the artificial turf.

We showed the tiny particles from the turf can become suspended in air above the field and inhaled by children playing on the field. What has become apparent is that microscopic carbon black particles break off from the crumb rubber and are small enough to be inhalable. Additionally, the blades of grass can also break down into microscopic particles over years of exposure to sunlight and weather, forming a respirable dust.

How do these particles get into a child?

Think of the “Peanuts” comic strip character Pig Pen, the child always followed around by a visible cloud. The truth is that all children — indeed, all people — have a cloud of microscopic particles around them. This personal microenvironment of dust particles, invisible to the naked eye, is just as real as Pig Pen’s.

These small particles and their chemicals can be inhaled or swallowed by a child.

And if so, do they cause illness?

A clear answer on whether artificial turf increases the risk of injury or illness is far more challenging. Let’s consider the two major concerns with regard to artificial turf: cancer and neurologic effects.

The question of cancer and artificial turf gained significant national attention in the United States with a series of news stories on "NBC Nightly News" regarding a cluster of cancers in young women soccer players. A cancer cluster is the appearance of an unusually high rate of cancer in one location in a particular time frame. The story was dismissed by the turf industry, which has said the playing surface is safe.

But information has continued to accrue on this cancer cluster. While as many as 80 percent of suspected cancer clusters are determined not to be true increases in cancer cases and due only to random chance, the problem is that, without detailed and often expensive scientific investigation, whether it is real or not cannot be determined.

Just recently, the Washington State Department of Health issued a report on its study of the reported cancer cluster in these soccer players. Their report found no evidence of a causal effect of playing on artificial turf and cancer. As they acknowledge, that does not mean there is no risk, only that this study did not find one. They also suggested there is still room for broader investigation on this question.

In the meantime, though, there is little question in the mind of many scientists that crumb rubber should not be a first-choice material for children to play on. Parents should be able to just enjoy watching their children playing sports and not worry that they are being put unnecessarily at risk.

https://megagrass.com/blogs/sports/artificial-turf-sports-fields

Another shortcoming of artificial grass is that they’re full of fibers. Over time, some of these fibers get pulled out. Strong winds and rainwater can carry them into streams and waterways. These are little blades of plastic that can contaminate your community’s water system.

6 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Now you're putting words in my mouth, awesome man. You gave no facts. 

But yet, you aren't ruining the thread. Riiiiiiiight. Again... go away, start your own thread, you aren't wanted in this one. 

Yes, I did give obvious facts.  Sorry you don't recognize them.

If you don't want to read me posts you have a couple of options:  a.  Put me on ignore, or b. contact the GID administration and file a complaint.  Your call.

1 hour ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Yet Lawrenceburg has had it for several years and EC added it last year. I'll be honest if they'd just put an escalator in to the field, I'd donate! That climb out of there after the game sucks!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Yet Lawrenceburg has had it for several years and EC added it last year. I'll be honest if they'd just put an escalator in to the field, I'd donate! That climb out of there after the game sucks!

#FACTSSSS yeah it is rough, even a rail would be nice! 

33 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://the-blueprint.org/turf-fields-have-pros-and-cons/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/does-playing-on-artificial-turf-pose-a-health-risk-for-your-child/2017/03/17/0c61b7b4-0380-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html

https://megagrass.com/blogs/sports/artificial-turf-sports-fields

Yes, I did give obvious facts.  Sorry you don't recognize them.

If you don't want to read me posts you have a couple of options:  a.  Put me on ignore, or b. contact the GID administration and file a complaint.  Your call.

Just bull crap you hi jack this stuff. 

• Sit and spin 1

Also, in my opinion, it is also the responsibility of the taxpayers to help improve the morale of a corporation as well as the aesthetics, so that there is an appeal, or draw if you will, to for people to want to continue to attend said school. I will be the first to say that a turf field is a luxury, but the auditorium, pool and usable extra space of a school are not, and there has been apprehension to improving those issues also. So if the taxpayers don't want to improve anything for students who attend schools, what is their responsibility exactly?