Jump to content

Recommended Posts

And makes children more prone to injury:  https://www.popsci.com/sports-injury-turf-grass-football-soccer/

Quote

...

 A new analysis published in The American Journal of Sports Medicine, for example, found that playing football on turf may lead to more posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injuries than playing the same game on grass.

 

“Turf does seem to be associated with increased injuries in the lower extremity,” says lead author Galvin Loughran, a medical student at Georgetown University School of Medicine.

....

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/07/03/athletes-injuries-artificial-turf/

Quote

....

Although artificial turf has greatly improved since its introduction in the 1960s, studies suggest it is still likely to cause more injuries among athletes than its more expensive counterpart: natural grass.

A 2019 study by Cleveland-based University Hospitals featured data from 26 high school trainers during the 2017-2018 athletic season who reported 953 injuries: 368 were on natural grass, while 585 were on synthetic turf.

The study also found that upper and lower extremities as well as torso injuries occurred more on synthetic turf than natural grass. The sports most vulnerable to the injuries? Football, men’s lacrosse, rugby and girls and boys soccer led the way.

....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of kids could be covid-19 vaccinated for what it cost to build these extravagant high school turf fields.  It's just a game played by children.  

Last off-season myself and a few others on this board (and my gf) went sectional by sectional throughout the state and found who has turf/doesn't. I might have maybe a few wrong, but this list is pret

And I say it is the case.  For those children over 16 and the long struggling teachers who have been complaining incessantly that they should be a the current front of the vaccine line.

Posted Images

  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, btownqbcoach said:

Last off-season myself and a few others on this board (and my gf) went sectional by sectional throughout the state and found who has turf/doesn't. I might have maybe a few wrong, but this list is pretty accurate. 

If you know of a school that is getting turf for 2020 or is voting on it soon, or has it in the works for 2021 please let me know. 

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8    
Crown Point Chesterton Carroll Carmel Avon BD LC Center Grove 32 Total
Lake Central Penn Homestead Westfield Brownsburg Tech WC CN 31 Turf
Merrillville Portage Noblesville HSE Pike Perry Meridian LN CE 1 Not Turf
Laf Jeff Valpo Warsaw Fishers Zionsville Southport North Central Franklin Cent    
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16    
LaPorte Concord FW BD Anderson Decatur Cent Franklin Bloom South BNL 34  
Michigan City Elk Central FW Snider Laf Harrison Plainfield New Pal Bloom North FC 24  
Mishawaka Elk Memorial FW Northrop Kokomo TH North Seymour Castle NA 8  
Munster Goshen FW NS McCutheon TH South Whiteland Ev North Jeff (2020) 2 No home field
SB Adams       Cathedral          
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24    
East Chicago Culver Angola Delta Connersville Beech Grove East Central Boonville 62  
Gary WS Kankakee Valley Columbia City FW SS Greenfield Central Frankfort Greenwood Jasper 34  
Griffith Logansport DeKalb FW Wayne Mt. Vernon Fortville   JC Eville Central 26  
Hammond Gavit New Prairie East Noble Huntington North Muncie Central Attucks Madison Eville Memorial 1 Haven't heard from
Hammond Morton Plymouth Leo Jay County New Castle Shortridge SC Eville Reitz 1  
Highland SB Clay Northridge Marion Pendleton Heights Lebanon Mooresville Eville Harrison    
Hobart SB Riley NorthWood Mississinewa Richmond Roncalli Martinsville Northview    
Lowell SB St Joe Wawasee New Haven Shelbyville Western SD      

 

25 26 27 28  
Hammond Lakeland FW Concordia Guerin 64
Hammond Clarke John Glenn Belmont Brebeuf 18
Hanover Central West Noble Oak Hill Crawfordsville 42
River Forest Mis Marion Peru Chatard  
Knox Garrett Northwestern North Montgomery 4
Calumet SB Wash Maconquah West Laf  
Benton Central Jimtown Norwell Hamilton Heights  
Twin Lakes Tipp Valley Heritage Yorktown  
29 30 31 32  
West Vigo Washington Brownstown Ev Bosse  
Ritter Princeton Scottsburg Gibson So  
Greencastle Sullivan Charlestown (2020) Mt. Vernon  
Danville Pike Central Lawrenceburg Heritage Hills  
Tri West Vinncennes Franklin Co Salem  
Manual Owen Valley Batesville Cordyon  
Indpls Wash Brown Co Greensburg North Harrison  
Indian Creek Edgewood Rushville Southridge  
33 34 35 36  
Andrean Bremen Bluffton Alexandria 64
Boone Grove Delphi Central Noble Blackford 12
Bowman LaVille Eastside Eastbrook 47
Hammon Bishop Noll Lewis Cass Fairfield Eastern (Greentown) 2
North Newton Manchester Luers Elwood 3
Ren Central Pioneer Whitko Frankton  
Wheeler Rochester Woodlan Lapel  
Whiting Wabash Prairie Heights Tipton  
37 38 39 40  
Cascade Centerville Clarksville Forest Park  
Monrovia Eastern Hancock Pekin North Posey  
North Putnam Heritage Christian Providence Eville Mater Dei  
Seegar Howe Paoli Crawford Co  
South Vermillion Scecina Mitchell Linton  
Southmont Northeastern Switzerland Co North Knox  
Speedway Shenandoah Triton Central Tell City  
Western Boone Winchester Union Co South Spencer  
41 42 43 44 64
Culver Community Carroll (Flora) Madison-Grant Adams Central 64
Gary Roosevelt Clinton Central Monroe Central Caston 5
Lake Station Edison Clinton Prairie South Adams Fremont 57
North Judson Frontier Southern Wells North Miami 2
West Central LCC Taylor Northfield 1
Winamac North White Tri-Central Southwood  
South Newton Traders Point Academy Union City Triton  
South Central (Union Mills) Tri-County Wes Del Churubusco  
45 46 47 48  
Attica Anderon Prep Cambridge City Eastern Greene  
Cloverdale Covenant Christian Hagerstown North Central (Farmersburg)  
Covington Edinburgh Knighstown North Daviess  
Fountain Central School of Deaf Milan Perry Central  
North Vermillion Lutheran North Decatur West Washington  
Parke Heritage Park Tudor South Decatur Rock Creek  
Riverton Parke Sheridan Tri Springs Valley  
South Putnam Tindley Oldenburg Tecumseh  

 

 

Owen Valley High School will be turf in 2021. Construction is already underway

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of kids could be covid-19 vaccinated for what it cost to build these extravagant high school turf fields.  It's just a game played by children.

 

  • Like 1
  • Disdain 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, well the state does not care about the kids.  Take a look around the state at the sectional sites for basketball.  There are hundreds of people in gyms and student sections shoulder to shoulder with no masks and we are recording video of it and posting, but hey, some football place could only be at 25% and other sports like swimming had no fans allowed at the state finals.  As long as they are making money, that is all they care about 

  • Like 1
  • Kill me now 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BearsGold55 said:

Yeah, well the state does not care about the kids.  Take a look around the state at the sectional sites for basketball.  There are hundreds of people in gyms and student sections shoulder to shoulder with no masks and we are recording video of it and posting, but hey, some football place could only be at 25% and other sports like swimming had no fans allowed at the state finals.  As long as they are making money, that is all they care about 

It sure seems that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

A lot of kids could be covid-19 vaccinated for what it cost to build these extravagant high school turf fields.  It's just a game played by children.

 

With the money turfs saves in maintenance it's a no-brainer that they would have even more money for other things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Yet, other studies have found no statistically significant difference in overall injury rates, while some specific injuries recorded higher rates on one surface vs. the other. See, e.g., https://www.scienceforsport.com/natural-grass-vs-artificial-turf-which-surface-poses-an-increased-injury-risk/:

⇒ A total of 2174 in-game injuries were recorded during the study period, with 1.54 injuries per game occurring on AT and 1.49 occurring on NG.

⇒ Yearly injury incidence increased each year on both playing surfaces – 12.5% on NG and 26.3% on AT.

From 2013-2016, data analysis showed comparable injury incidence and overall injury rate between AT and NG surfaces, however, regarding specific injuries, a higher rate of Achilles injury and ankle fracture was found on AT.

Interestingly enough, the injuries which clearly occurred more often on AT were not knee injuries.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, Muda69 said:

A lot of kids could be covid-19 vaccinated for what it cost to build these extravagant high school turf fields.  It's just a game played by children.

 

Is covid not 100% government paid for?  I don't think any amount of money would move children to the head of the line for a vaccine.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 7:54 AM, Staxawax said:

Is covid not 100% government paid for?  I don't think any amount of money would move children to the head of the line for a vaccine.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ah yes,  it's "free".  I forgot that that the government gives out "free" things.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Ah yes,  it's "free".  I forgot that that the government gives out "free" things.

 

"Free". Your words, not mine.  Never said nor implied it was free.  Just that there is a ordained order of delivery. Your  narrative is vaccines could be given to children with the money saved from not turfing fields. I'm saying that is simply not the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Staxawax said:

"Free". Your words, not mine.  Never said nor implied it was free.  Just that there is a ordained order of delivery. Your  narrative is vaccines could be given to children with the money saved from not turfing fields. I'm saying that is simply not the case.

And I say it is the case.  For those children over 16 and the long struggling teachers who have been complaining incessantly that they should be a the current front of the vaccine line.

  • Disdain 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Muda69 said:

And I say it is the case.  For those children over 16 and the long struggling teachers who have been complaining incessantly that they should be a the current front of the vaccine line.

That is a COMPLETE lie...NO ONE said they should be at the front of the line...what a stupid comment. Being prioritized does NOT equate to the front of the line. 

Also, the funding for the vaccine and funding for school projects are COMPLETELY different things. 

 

Now; enough with the asinine false equivalencies; back to the topic at hand. Way to hijack it though. Heaven forbid a local community decide something to upgrade their facilities AND maximize their usage, only to have some fake libertarian complaining about those local decisions. 

  • Disdain 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your public section union buddies must be different than the teachers I know.

Such anger over a simple suggestion, that turf fields are an EXTRAVAGENCE when you are talking about games played by children.  Full stop. #truth.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Your public section union buddies must be different than the teachers I know.

Such anger over a simple suggestion, that turf fields are an EXTRAVAGENCE when you are talking about games played by children.  Full stop. #truth.

 

 

No anger...just emphasizing the lie you posted, and pointing out the stupidity of your post. 

Local communities spending their tax dollars as they see fit.....non issue. 

  • Disdain 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

No anger...just emphasizing the lie you posted, and pointing out the stupidity of your post. 

Local communities spending their tax dollars as they see fit.....non issue. 

Yes Irishman, you are angry.  It comes out when you use words like "stupidity" and "fake libertarian" in your missives attacking my point of view.

Not a lie, my perception based on some local data, that is all.

Agreed, I have no issue with local communities getting to choose how to spend their tax dollars.   I do however have issues with exactly what they choose to spend it on, and will voice my opinion as such.   Sorry that you place such unadulterated faith in the government school edifice and your public sector union.  I however, am not so naive and trusting regarding government institutions.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Yes Irishman, you are angry.  It comes out when you use words like "stupidity" and "fake libertarian" in your missives attacking my point of view.

Not a lie, my perception based on some local data, that is all.

Agreed, I have no issue with local communities getting to choose how to spend their tax dollars.   I do however have issues with exactly what they choose to spend it on, and will voice my opinion as such.   Sorry that you place such unadulterated faith in the government school edifice and your public sector union.  I however, am not so naive and trusting regarding government institutions.

 

 

So, you also have a psychology degree? You can interpret emotions based on typed words? WOW; you are amazing lol

You can voice your opinion, but you seem to just expect everyone to follow along with your thinking and not be challenged on it lol

So keep posting your opinions, but also be prepared for being called out on the stupidity of them as well.  

It's not a matter of my placing any faith in a local communities decisions, it's more about it being none of my business what communities choose to do with those funds. 

The  fact of the matter is that the turf is ultimately a cost savings; and in many places sees a significant increase in usage outside of just one game that children play. Outside of that game, we have two junior high teams, two PAL teams, boys and girls high school soccer teams, two junior high soccer teams, our band, and our Physical Education classes. Many of those things did not happen when we had a grass field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irishman said:

So, you also have a psychology degree? You can interpret emotions based on typed words? WOW; you are amazing lol

No, do you?  What exactly is your college degree in, Irishman?

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

You can voice your opinion, but you seem to just expect everyone to follow along with your thinking and not be challenged on it lol

Wow, who is claiming to have the psychology degree now, I wonder?   I have never stated that I just expect everyone to "follow along with my thinking". I like to believe I provide an alternative viewpoint on this forum, a forum that sorry, can frequently devolve into an echo chamber.  And I welcome a challenge to my alternative viewpoints, Irishman.  Yet I wonder if you really welcome challenges to yours?

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

So keep posting your opinions, but also be prepared for being called out on the stupidity of them as well.  

Challenge accepted. And nice to know you view most alternative opinions, especially those that challenge your leftist sensibilities, as automatically "stupid".

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

It's not a matter of my placing any faith in a local communities decisions, it's more about it being none of my business what communities choose to do with those funds. 

It's none of my real business as well, meaning I can't force them to change what they have already decided.  But I can voice my opinions on those choices in the hope it may sway future decisions.

8 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The  fact of the matter is that the turf is ultimately a cost savings; and in many places sees a significant increase in usage outside of just one game that children play. Outside of that game, we have two junior high teams, two PAL teams, boys and girls high school soccer teams, two junior high soccer teams, our band, and our Physical Education classes. Many of those things did not happen when we had a grass field. 

In exchange for a significant initial financial outlay and a statistical increase in the chance of injury versus a grass field.  This as opposed to having deal with a little mud/dirt.  Boo Hoo.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...