Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

"You're not good enough son"

Guest DT

I would imagine that many college players are hearing that from their coaches this week as staffs do a post season player evaluation and trim rosters for the upcoming bowl games.

Cant be a fun time to get called into the Head Coaches office for a talk.  

26 minutes ago, Sacked said:

i am not sure I understand. Why are they having to trim rosters? I thought they were allowed to dress more than the 70 for bowl games. 

Probably is more about scholarship caps and recruiting season about to get really busy for one last push for the class of 2020 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Probably is more about scholarship caps and recruiting season about to get really busy for one last push for the class of 2020 

I would have thought that those conversations would of happened after the spring practices before the new recruits are officially on the team. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sacked said:

I would have thought that those conversations would of happened after the spring practices before the new recruits are officially on the team. 

You might be right. I’m not too familiar with the process of kids losing scholarships/teams trimming. 

Curious though. Say Johnny Appleseed gets a scholarship to play for Alabama/Clemson/OSU

but after 2 years they say he isn’t good enough. 

can say a team like FAU/Marshall off Johnny a scholarship to play?  Does he have to still forfeit a year because of transferring? 

Lots of players are entering the transfer portal.  They likely have been told that they do not fit in to future plans at their current school.  Purdue alone has 8 players in the outbound transfer portal.  Brohm cleaning house and possibly making way for some JUCO transfers and inbound portal candidates.

Edited by DT

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Lots of players are entering the transfer portal.  They likely have been told that they do not fit in to future plans at their current school.  Purdue alone has 8 players in the outbound transfer portal.  Brohm cleaning house and possibly making way for some JUCO transfers and inbound portal candidates.

I just don’t like the idea of kids losing eligibility because their coach/team gave up on them but the outside world will make it seem like they gave up on the team 

3 hours ago, DT said:

I doubt that its the HC flat out saying this to players, but in the instance of Purdue.  If you are those 2 who entered the portal, you see Rondale, You See David Bell, Milton Wright, Amad Anderson are all Freshman or Sophomores, you are not getting reps, your position coach has you in a pecking order, you have 2 choices, stay and compete, however you see that Purdue is bringing in another 4 star WR Dog, another elite speed slot guy, another 6'2 WR Sullivan and you ask yourself, will I have get to play here or is there better opportunities for me to play.   That is what is going on.  

Same with these elite schools, Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc.  You see 4 and 5 star guys leaving all the time because they are not getting reps, and the next batch of OMG 5 star dudes are coming and so they feel they need to get a new situation to get on the field and get that tape to for their ultimate goal, Sundays.   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You might be right. I’m not too familiar with the process of kids losing scholarships/teams trimming. 

Curious though. Say Johnny Appleseed gets a scholarship to play for Alabama/Clemson/OSU

but after 2 years they say he isn’t good enough. 

can say a team like FAU/Marshall off Johnny a scholarship to play?  Does he have to still forfeit a year because of transferring? 

It depends on what kind of scholarship they were offered. A lot of scholarships are a one year deal but more and more are getting a 4 year deal. If they get a 4 year deal and get cut by the team then they could stay at that college and finish their degree. If they transfer then they give up that money.