Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Did Purdue Move Too Fast in Extending Brohm?

Guest DT

In my view, yes they did

Why?

1. 4-8 in year 3 is a clear sign of lack of momentum

2. Recruiting indicates lack of attention to key areas of the roster, particularly offensive line.

3. Despite the focus on the passing game and the skill positions. who is the number 1 QB at PU heading in to the offseason?

4. PU overpaid to keep Brohm away from Louisville.  Scott Satterfield is doing a fine job for the Cardinals.

5. Coordinator firings are an indication that internal pressure is building.  DC Holt just got whacked and is the fall guy for poor 2019 season.

6. Highly likely that PU is not where Brohm planned they would be, and he is keeping his ear open to NFL overtures.

7. PUs best players are likely to leave early, exposing even more lack of depth.

8. Brohm's salary could potential damage an already financially weak athletic department, preventing investment in other areas of need.  

Edited by DT

9 minutes ago, DT said:

In my view, yes they did

Why?

1. 4-8 in year 3 is a clear sign of lack of momentum

2. Recruiting indicates lack of attention to key areas of the roster, particularly offensive line.

3. Despite the focus on the passing game and the skill positions. who is the number 1 QB at PU heading in to the offseason?

4. PU overpaid to keep Brohm away from Louisville.  Scott Satterfield is doing a fine job for the Cardinals.

5. Coordinator firings are an indication that internal pressure is building.  DC Holt just got whacked and is the fall guy for poor 2019 season.

6. Highly likely that PU is not where Brohm planned they would be, and he is keeping his ear open to NFL overtures.

7. PUs best players are likely to leave early, exposing even more lack of depth.

8. Brohm's salary could potential damage an already financially weak athletic department, preventing investment in other areas of need.  

Jury is still out.  Fair assessment after the 2021 season in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Jury is still out.  Fair assessment after the 2021 season in my opinion.

The assessment and performance periods are getting shorter.

Willie Taggart got less than 2 years at FSU.  Same with Chad Morris at Arkansas.  Barry Odom is an alum and got fired after 4 years at Mizzou.  Same with Matt Luke at Ole Miss, after 3 years.  

23 hours ago, DT said:

Willie Taggart got less than 2 years at FSU.  Same with Chad Morris at Arkansas.  Barry Odom is an alum and got fired after 4 years at Mizzou.  Same with Matt Luke at Ole Miss, after 3 years.  

Taggart was a dead man walking from the moment he was hired in at FSU and there is ZERO excuse for the ‘Noles to not be competitive in the putrid ACC in its current state.

Those other three programs are in purgatory as they will never compete with the $EC elites on a consistent basis and have unreasonable expectations unless Ole Miss returns to its Hugh Freeze days (which is completely possible with their recent hire), Arkansas brings back Pitrino and offers him a brand new motorcycle and Mizzou figures out a way to play southeast football (your words) despite being in the plains.

There is no reason Purdue cannot compete with those in the big 10 west consistently by 2021.

Jury still out. Only thing conclusive is that Purdue is stuck with Brohm for better or worse.

Purdue massively overachieved in years 1 and 2 with Brohm and had a ton of recruiting momentum. 

Yeah I think they ponied up more than they should have for Brohm, but at the same time, if you let Brohm walk after year 2, you probably lose a top 25 recruiting class and are back to square one.

If anything Brohm has elevated Purdue's floor from Hazel which I'm sure every Purdue fan can live with at the current moment. He may never deliver results that justify his top 10 salary, but if Purdue can win 7-8 games consistently the next few years (I have my doubts) the extension was warranted based off the mess he inherited.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Jury still out. Only thing conclusive is that Purdue is stuck with Brohm for better or worse.

Purdue massively overachieved in years 1 and 2 with Brohm and had a ton of recruiting momentum. 

Yeah I think they ponied up more than they should have for Brohm, but at the same time, if you let Brohm walk after year 2, you probably lose a top 25 recruiting class and are back to square one.

If anything Brohm has elevated Purdue's floor from Hazel which I'm sure every Purdue fan can live with at the current moment. He may never deliver results that justify his top 10 salary, but if Purdue can win 7-8 games consistently the next few years (I have my doubts) the extension was warranted based off the mess he inherited.

It was well known that Karlaftis would be a Wolverine or Buckeye if that happened and many others were gone, including, Rondale who would of transferred.   

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

It was well known that Karlaftis would be a Wolverine or Buckeye if that happened and many others were gone, including, Rondale who would of transferred.   

Probably lose Milton Wright who is from Louisville. David Bell is probably a Buckeye or Nittany Lion.

Purdue was in a unique situation because Purdue doesn't recruit itself on namesake. 

I do however think it will come to a point a few years down the line where Purdue has justify paying Brohm over $6mil/yr. If he's only consistently winning 7-8 games a year, does Purdue continue to hold on to him?

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

in my opinion, there is such a fine line between 8 wins and 10 wins, a couple bad breaks, calls, etc can dictate those things, so its hard to just have a flat line saying, if he gets only 8 wins then he he is not worth it or however else folks frame that narrative.   

7-8 wins usually signals a mid-pack conference finish with a decent bowl game. 9-10 wins you're competing, if not some years winning your division and playing for a conference title. If Brohm is finishing 1 or 2 in the West in 2-3 years, does his $6+mil/yr contract justify the results?

I think you can get a lot of guys to win 7-8 games in the B10 West while paying them significantly less than what Brohm is making. 

4 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I think its a solid question and good for a football forum board to discuss.  

My opinion (for what its worth) is that it needs to play out.  When a team gets hammered by injuries, not sure if its fair to assess much.  Unless a team is top tier like OSU, PSU, etc. they simply don't have the depth to overcome certain injuries...especially those to playmakers.

Brohm needs to address his O line....that's a known.  He gets a few more key players, could change everything.  With Moore, Bell and others together in the lineup, will be tough for defenses.  

This IU fan thinks the Boilers will have a better season in 2020 if they avoid the injury bug....and plug some holes. 

Adjustments need to be made and they will.  But, again I believe Brohm know what he's doing.

• Like 1

There are indeed a lot of unknowns, but there have been at Purdue for quite some time. Brohm has given the program an identity and won more games than anyone expected. He came in with a win now attitude where many coaches would not and I think if he didn't do that, he wouldn't be recruiting like he is. 

That said, next year is bowl or bust, IMO. There is far too much talent returning to not achieve it. Even though the o-line is a question mark, they return 9 guys with pretty extensive experience. If they are able to pull in a grad transfer, they'll have 10 guys the staff will be comfortable with playing. They will have one of the most talented wide receiver corps in the Big Ten and Plummer has proven capable of being the QB, though they may add a grad transfer if possible for competition purposes. 

The key will be the DC hire. He has to get it right. If he doesn't, I do think that could really hurt his time at Purdue. There are some depth concerns, but there is talent on that side of the ball. 

All in all, I am glad he is the Purdue coach and think he will get it done in the long run. 

• Like 2

If you think about it, Purdue has always been an offense first team, especially QB (not know as the "Cradle of Quarterbacks" for nothing).  Therefore, it makes perfect sense that Purdue is doing all they can to retain this guy.  Fudge all the numbers you want, but this is the right dude.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, DT said:

Performance periods are longer at Purdue because the program recently suffered through the worst 4 year period in it's own history. Hazell was given 3.5 seasons and Brohm has fared much better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AG said:

Performance periods are longer at Purdue because the program recently suffered through the worst 4 year period in it's own history. Hazell was given 3.5 seasons and Brohm has fared much better.

With that, there's no hard and fast generally accepted performance period.  We're dealing with 18-22 kids not robots!

2 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

There are indeed a lot of unknowns, but there have been at Purdue for quite some time. Brohm has given the program an identity and won more games than anyone expected. He came in with a win now attitude where many coaches would not and I think if he didn't do that, he wouldn't be recruiting like he is. 

That said, next year is bowl or bust, IMO. There is far too much talent returning to not achieve it. Even though the o-line is a question mark, they return 9 guys with pretty extensive experience. If they are able to pull in a grad transfer, they'll have 10 guys the staff will be comfortable with playing. They will have one of the most talented wide receiver corps in the Big Ten and Plummer has proven capable of being the QB, though they may add a grad transfer if possible for competition purposes. 

The key will be the DC hire. He has to get it right. If he doesn't, I do think that could really hurt his time at Purdue. There are some depth concerns, but there is talent on that side of the ball. 

All in all, I am glad he is the Purdue coach and think he will get it done in the long run. 

Beautiful words!!

I expect Poindexter to get promoted. 

• Thanks 1

@DT   updated composite rating 

https://247sports.com/Article/Walled-Lake-Western-receiver-Abdur-Rahmaan-Yaseen-flips-commitment-to-Jeff-Brohm-and-Purdue-Boilermakers-140731253/

"It felt like it was a good fit in all aspects," Yaseen said of Purdue on Wednesday morning.

The 247Sports Composite tabs Yaseen as the nation's 6-foot-1, 180-pound Yaseen as the nation's No. 63 receiver and No. 9 prospect overall in the state of Michigan. He is commit No. 20 for head coach Jeff Brohm and his staff.

This pushes Purdue up to No. 25 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings as the Early Signing Period gets going Wednesday morning.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

This Yaseen kid looks like he's going to be a STUD. He had over 1600 receiving yards and 20 TDs as a senior as a deep ball threat.

Lots of people are complaining that Brohm is still signing WRs over linemen, but he's faced with losing Bell and Moore in the next two years, which makes this and the Carr signing tremendous.