Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Noblesville HC

13 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Love the offense he will bring to Noblesville.  Being different will be a huge advantage for him and the Millers.  

Now, can he get the kids and community to buy in?  That will be the hardest part in my opinion.

I disagree with the idea that this will be a huge advantage for the Millers. Good luck running this offense in the HCC without 7 down lineman/te's that are absolute a$$ kickers. Being Noblesville doesn't have that now (or in the foreseeable future) I don't see how this is an advantage. Line up like that with inferior lineman/athletes and they'll lose by 30 week in and week out. I've never been a fan of coaches that run, "their system" no matter what personnel they have. What happens when Noblesville has 2-3 talented WR's, a QB that can throw it and no blocking TE's? You still line up in the double tight full house and try to ram it down people's throats? Maybe that works in the rural leagues but I don't think he's got a shot versus HCC/MIC teams with this mentality. I know, what about Center Grove? Cannot compare Noblesville football to GC. I also think you'll see a change in their offense the next couple years with the dual threat Jackson taking the snaps. Already saw a little but of a change this year because Coach knew he needed to play to his teams strength's and not just, "his scheme". Anyway, I know Noblesville football and the personnel well and I don't see this as any type of advantage for them. 

9 hours ago, Proud Papa said:

I disagree with the idea that this will be a huge advantage for the Millers. Good luck running this offense in the HCC without 7 down lineman/te's that are absolute a$$ kickers. Being Noblesville doesn't have that now (or in the foreseeable future) I don't see how this is an advantage. Line up like that with inferior lineman/athletes and they'll lose by 30 week in and week out. I've never been a fan of coaches that run, "their system" no matter what personnel they have. What happens when Noblesville has 2-3 talented WR's, a QB that can throw it and no blocking TE's? You still line up in the double tight full house and try to ram it down people's throats? Maybe that works in the rural leagues but I don't think he's got a shot versus HCC/MIC teams with this mentality. I know, what about Center Grove? Cannot compare Noblesville football to GC. I also think you'll see a change in their offense the next couple years with the dual threat Jackson taking the snaps. Already saw a little but of a change this year because Coach knew he needed to play to his teams strength's and not just, "his scheme". Anyway, I know Noblesville football and the personnel well and I don't see this as any type of advantage for them. 

I would presume w/ the recent hire, Coach Sharpe will begin the process of rounding out his staff rather quickly.

This would be a great opportunity to share your vast knowledge of Noblesville football and personnel and *help* him.

Best wishes N-ville.

Can't wait to follow your journey.

Merry Christmas ProudPapa

9 hours ago, Proud Papa said:

You would have a really hard time convincing me Noblesville has the athletes to line up in spread, and throw it all over the place and run by people.  If they had those athletes, their record the last few years would reflect that.  Running an unconventional offense with misdirection will offset the lack of great athletes and dominate offensive linemen, because they are NOT a "run it down your throat" offense. In games Noblesville has won the last two years, they have scored 20, 21, 10, 10, and 21 points.  Complementary football would be their best friend, which is why his offense is a GREAT fit.

Having a good QB makes his offense that more dangerous because they can throw the ball as well, so pick your poison.  Great WRs are also great athletes, so giving them the football makes sense, no matter how they get the ball.  As far as no blocking TEs, I'm sure they can convert LBs to TEs or just use more offensive linemen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Proud Papa said:

Coach Sharpe was pretty darn successful in a pretty physical conference (DAC).  I certainly wouldn't call the DAC the "rural leagues".  The players here in LP loved him and the community did too.  Give the guy a chance.  

Best of luck to Coach Sharpe.  You have a bunch of fans in LaPorte who will be cheering you on from up north.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knightmare said:

You would have a really hard time convincing me Noblesville has the athletes to line up in spread, and throw it all over the place and run by people.  If they had those athletes, their record the last few years would reflect that.  Running an unconventional offense with misdirection will offset the lack of great athletes and dominate offensive linemen, because they are NOT a "run it down your throat" offense. In games Noblesville has won the last two years, they have scored 20, 21, 10, 10, and 21 points.  Complementary football would be their best friend, which is why his offense is a GREAT fit.

Having a good QB makes his offense that more dangerous because they can throw the ball as well, so pick your poison.  Great WRs are also great athletes, so giving them the football makes sense, no matter how they get the ball.  As far as no blocking TEs, I'm sure they can convert LBs to TEs or just use more offensive linemen.

Get what you're saying, but Noblesville is a massive school district. If Fishers and HSE can run the spread, why can't Noblesville? I just think an unconventional offense like that MAY be a turn off to some as it doesn't really translate to the next level. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Get what you're saying, but Noblesville is a massive school district. If Fishers and HSE can run the spread, why can't Noblesville? I just think an unconventional offense like that MAY be a turn off to some as it doesn't really translate to the next level. 

Colleges and universities should dictate what offense and defense a high school should run?

Colleges and universities will find you if you are good enough to play at the next level.

Also, if a certain style of football turns away potential players, do they really love playing the game?  Are those the type of players a coach would want?

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Colleges and universities should dictate what offense and defense a high school should run?

No. Never said that.

Colleges and universities will find you if you are good enough to play at the next level.

Agree, although it's tough to gauge how good a QB is handing off 50 times a game.

Also, if a certain style of football turns away potential players, do they really love playing the game?  Are those the type of players a coach would want?

Non-sequitur. If I'm a 6'3 200 lb kid with a lively arm living in Noblesville and my local high school runs a misdirection, power offense and I have aspirations of playing at the next level, how does that help me get there? Why wouldn't I go play at Guerin, Cathedral, Chatard, or take advantage of open enrollment and go play at a neighboring county school who throws the ball all around the field? 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

No. Never said that.

Agree, although it's tough to gauge how good a QB is handing off 50 times a game.

Non-sequitur. If I'm a 6'3 200 lb kid with a lively arm living in Noblesville and my local high school runs a misdirection, power offense and I have aspirations of playing at the next level, how does that help me get to the next level? Why wouldn't I go play at Guerin, Cathedral, Chatard, or take advantage of open enrollment and go play at a neighboring county school who throws the ball all around the field? 

Purdue just signed a 4 star QB out of New Jersey

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/michael-alaimo/kmw7wHGLEea-8KA2nzwbTA/football/stats.htm

Brohm in his presser made mention to the fact that do not let the stats fool you, he plays in a great tough conference and his HS teams win and he is a big part of the reason but not because he is throwing 40 times a game. 

Speaking of running offenses and big schools:   This guy does pretty good out in California, just won a state title, their old conference kicked them out a year earlier and bumped them into De La Salle's conference.  

https://www.coachtimmurphy.com/#/  

This is where we got out double tight single wing 86% run offense as well.   

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Purdue just signed a 4 star QB out of New Jersey

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/michael-alaimo/kmw7wHGLEea-8KA2nzwbTA/football/stats.htm

Brohm in his presser made mention to the fact that do not let the stats fool you, he plays in a great tough conference and his HS teams win and he is a big part of the reason but not because he is throwing 40 times a game. 

Speaking of running offenses and big schools:   This guy does pretty good out in California, just won a state title, their old conference kicked them out a year earlier and bumped them into De La Salle's conference.  

https://www.coachtimmurphy.com/#/  

This is where we got out double tight single wing 86% run offense as well.   

Ok I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule, simply said it may be a turn off to certain players. If you're an 8th grader living in Noblesville and aspire to play QB at the next level and you have schools like Cathedral and Guerin running a spread offense it may appeal more to you. Being in the largest metropolitan area in the state, you have multiple options as to where attend high school. 

• Like 1

Non-sequitur. If I'm a 6'3 200 lb kid with a lively arm living in Noblesville and my local high school runs a misdirection, power offense and I have aspirations of playing at the next level, how does that help me get to the next level? Why wouldn't I go play at Guerin, Cathedral, Chatard, or take advantage of open enrollment and go play at a neighboring county school who throws the ball all around the field? 

I think Coach Sharpe is well aware he may have to adapt according to what personnel he has in that particular year. It is not impossible to pass out of the T Formation or motion etc the play book can really open up.

I remember a couple of years even your Irish ran some T Formation. I believe they even hit a TD pass out of it in a State Championship game maybe 2006 vs Concord? I'm not positive which one, I'll have to research.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Ok I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule, simply said it may be a turn off to certain players. If you're an 8th grader living in Noblesville and aspire to play QB at the next level and you have schools like Cathedral and Guerin running a spread offense it may appeal more to you. Being in the largest metropolitan area in the state, you have multiple options as to where attend high school. 

I would agree with that sentiment as well.   

However, there are plenty of other opportunities to showcase talents other than Friday Night game film and stats.  

19 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Yes, If a kid has the dream and talent to be a big time QUARTERBACK, then it probably isn't in his best interest to play in an offense that is Wing-T or Triple option. Exact same reason a talented passing quarterback wouldn't have gone to georgia tech when coach Johnson was there. No chance of throwing the football!

Just now, FastpacedO said:

I think Coach Sharpe is well aware he may have to adapt according to what personnel he has in that particular year. It is not impossible to pass out of the T Formation or motion etc the play book can really open up.

I remember a couple of years even your Irish ran some T Formation. I believe they even hit a TD pass out of it in a State Championship game maybe 2006 vs Concord? I'm not positive which one, I'll have to research.

I remember very well, was on that team. We ran a lot of power formations that year (my junior year) and my senior year we ended up running a bunch of shotgun and Cathedral has ever since. And it's paid dividends. You're seeing more and more D1 caliber QBs coming to Cathedral because Cathedral finally opened up their playbook. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I would agree with that sentiment as well.   

However, there are plenty of other opportunities to showcase talents other than Friday Night game film and stats.  

I will be totally honest with one thing that drives me nuts sometimes with teams I watch.

4th and goal at the 1 yard line (lets say a tournament game) down by 4 points.

Offense trots out in Shotgun formation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I remember very well, was on that team. We ran a lot of power formations that year (my junior year) and my senior year we ended up running a bunch of shotgun and Cathedral has ever since. And it's paid dividends. You're seeing more and more D1 caliber QBs coming to Cathedral because Cathedral finally opened up their playbook. 

Well, I mean, c'mon.  Cathedral has WAY better athletes at skill positions than Noblesville.  Makes sense to run spread and throw the ball around when you have better athletes.  Noblesville does not have those types of kids. 

11 minutes ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Yes, If a kid has the dream and talent to be a big time QUARTERBACK, then it probably isn't in his best interest to play in an offense that is Wing-T or Triple option. Exact same reason a talented passing quarterback wouldn't have gone to georgia tech when coach Johnson was there. No chance of throwing the football!

Truth to this statement.  But if I'm Coach Sharpe I don't need those "all about me" players.  Give me the kid who wants to play QB and WIN, and I'll hand him the keys to the offense. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Well, I mean, c'mon.  Cathedral has WAY better athletes at skill positions than Noblesville.  Makes sense to run spread and throw the ball around when you have better athletes.  Noblesville does not have those types of kids. 

Truth to this statement.  But if I'm Coach Sharpe I don't need those "all about me" players.  Give me the kid who wants to play QB and WIN, and I'll hand him the keys to the offense. 

Which begs the question:   Isn't the goal to win games for the school and not turn out D1 athletes??  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Which begs the question:   Isn't the goal to win games for the school and not turn out D1 athletes??  

Couldn't you spin that to also mean running an offense that best fits your personnel gives you the best chance to win? You aren't going to convince me that a school with 3,000 kids can't run some type of modern offense.

9 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I mean are you telling me that a suburban high school in Indianapolis with 3,000 kids doesn't have the ability to run something other than a gimmick offense?

• Like 1

I mean are you telling me that a suburban high school in Indianapolis with 3,000 kids doesn't have the ability to run something other than a gimmick offense?

No... They ran the spread under Simmons and then I-Formation, power run game with Roden. If those two coaches couldn't get it done with a "normal" offense, then I think a "gimmick" offense would fit Noblesville best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

My apologies.  I must have misunderstood the bolded sentence above.

52 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No. Never said that.

Non-sequitur. If I'm a 6'3 200 lb kid with a lively arm living in Noblesville and my local high school runs a misdirection, power offense and I have aspirations of playing at the next level, how does that help me get there? Why wouldn't I go play at Guerin, Cathedral, Chatard, or take advantage of open enrollment and go play at a neighboring county school who throws the ball all around the field? 

I would shake their hand and wish them the best of luck.

4 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

No... They ran the spread under Simmons and then I-Formation, power run game with Roden. If those two coaches couldn't get it done with a "normal" offense, then I think a "gimmick" offense would fit Noblesville best. 

Guess this will be something to track in the coming seasons.

41 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Then by all means, exercise those options.

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Correct.  If they want to compete for championships, then they need to run an unconventional offense.  Noblesville does not have the athletes that Brownsburg or Avon have, so they need to combat that gap with a different offensive system.

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Couldn't you spin that to also mean running an offense that best fits your personnel gives you the best chance to win? You aren't going to convince me that a school with 3,000 kids can't run some type of modern offense.

Last time the Millers had a winning record was 2001

Simmons Spread

Schieb spread

They are qualified offensive minded coaches

It is ok to be different.   Different can work

Kevin Wright ran flexbone at Warren Central, I think that turned out ok, why didn't he get in all shotgun spread ????? 

Sharpe's offensive success is contingent on a big strong offensive line.

If he can find the big uglies amongst those 2800 students, they can have some success in The HCC.