Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Athletic Director Opportunities

Guest DT

2 hours ago, DT said:

What is the best way to inquire on AD openings in the state?

The IDOE website, usually under administrative positions. 

Kouts is open still I believe, in NWI. The new hire will be their 3rd AD this school year. 

38 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

The IDOE website, usually under administrative positions. 

Kouts is open still I believe, in NWI. The new hire will be their 3rd AD this school year. 

Why so much turnover?

31 minutes ago, DT said:

Why so much turnover?

That I am not sure. 

I was informing you incase you or others wanted to apply. The turnover leads to fair questions you ask and that should be asked.  I know when I speak w colleagues about a position here or there, we always talk about “doing your homework” on that position. Thought I could shed some light on the position. 

Clark Pleasant District Schools, or Whiteland High School, has an AD opening right now on the IDOE. Not sure what the specific requirements are for their position, but if you have a teaching license or admin license it'd definitely be a good school to work at/apply to. 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Tough hours.  Little support.  Not as prestigious anymore.  Pay may be lower than you think.  Not an admin job in many places.  

The pay was listed at 49 K.

23 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

The pay was listed at 49 K.

That's likely for a 260-day contract (as opposed to 183 for teachers) and a LOT of night-weekend hours. You're putting in 60-80 hours/week pretty consistently from August to May. 

For teachers with more than a few years' experience, that would likely be a pay cut (especially once hours are factored in). 

6 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

That's likely for a 260-day contract (as opposed to 183 for teachers) and a LOT of night-weekend hours. You're putting in 60-80 hours/week pretty consistently from August to May. 

For teachers with more than a few years' experience, that would likely be a pay cut (especially once hours are factored in). 

Nope.  205 day contract.

9 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

The bolded part is 100% correct.

Another school in their district (East Porter County Schools-they have 9 schools total---Washington Township Elementary/Middle/High, Morgan Township Elementary/Middle/High, and Kouts Elementary/Middle/High) Morgan Township had their AD leave mid 1st semester also.  They just hired a recently retired AD.  That's a great gig for the new AD.  Getting his retirement and now getting paid the salary of AD at Morgan Township.

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

A lot of schools do creative things as far as administrative assignments for athletic events as well as other extracurriculars.

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

A lot of schools do creative things as far as administrative assignments for athletic events as well as other extracurriculars.

I interviewed for an AD job in NWI that had a creative schedule for their AD.  It wasn't the normal "7-3" plus supervision.  It was something like 2-10 (or end of events, etc.).  I thought on paper that sounds great, BUT what about the other 99.9999999% of the schools trying to communicate with you during the day.  Don't know if they still operate under that model.

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Tough hours.  Little support.  Not as prestigious anymore.  Pay may be lower than you think.  Not an admin job in many places.  

I would add it is viewed as a stepping stone spot as well, to get a foot in the door to becoming a building admin. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Tough job getting tougher.

Two of the worst jobs in education, in my mind are 1. Dean of Students. I have seen a number of good people get burned out in the job. And 2. Athletic Director. Many do this job with no assistants to help. Field/court setup; running junior high events as well; planning at least 1 major fundraiser every year; and many now have other admin duties as well (teacher observations and evaluations, supervision duties before, during, and after school); along with all the admin responsibilities of being an AD. 
yeah, no thank you

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Two of the worst jobs in education, in my mind are 1. Dean of Students. I have seen a number of good people get burned out in the job. And 2. Athletic Director. Many do this job with no assistants to help. Field/court setup; running junior high events as well; planning at least 1 major fundraiser every year; and many now have other admin duties as well (teacher observations and evaluations, supervision duties before, during, and after school); along with all the admin responsibilities of being an AD. 
yeah, no thank you

Hands down the WORST job in the world is MS Assistant Principal. Dealing with the dregs of society all day er' day.