Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC-HCC Expansion to 10 Schools

Guest DT

I am a big fan of 10 school conferences.  I like the variety of teams, scheduling flexibility, and general overall variety a 10 school conference offers in comparison to an 8 school conference.   The SAC and the newly expanded SIAC are top examples of outstanding 10 school conferences.  

For the sake of kicks and giggles, lets assume that both the HCC and The MIC have announced plans to expand to 10 schools each.  You are the AD for your school, and your job is to nominate your school for entrance into one or both of these super conferences.  Give us your reasoning for nominating your school.  What do you bring to the table?  Do you have the size and scope of athletics to qualify for entrance?  What is your competitive profile and do you fit in with the current conference schools?  Is travel within reason?  Does your school travel and support your teams on the road?  Are you a good home host?  Can you host conference events?  

I will start with the nomination of Columbus North for entrance into The HCC.  Columbus North has a proud and glorious athletic tradition, running behind just Carmel in total state IHSAA championships.  Community support and travel support are very strong.  CN has strong ties to Indy with long lasting rivalries with several area schools.  CN will expand the HCC footprint further south but remain close to the core Indy metro.  CN is an athletic blueblood and adds lots of cache to the HCC roster of member schools.  

Edited by DT

As long as conferences are based primarily on scheduling convenience and geographic proximity, rather than competitive reasons, I think conferences in general - and especially 10 school conferences — are bad for football.  The inability to schedule out of conference games that might be more competitive detracts from the quality of football generally, a cause that I thought you were championing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

As long as conferences are based primarily on scheduling convenience and geographic proximity, rather than competitive reasons, I think conferences in general - and especially 10 school conferences — are bad for football.  The inability to schedule out of conference games that might be more competitive detracts from the quality of football generally, a cause that I thought you were championing.

I think we've entered a new era in terms of non conference scheduling which is being driven by ultra conservative financial decision making.

The SAC was ahead of the curve when it expanded to include suburban schools Homestead and Carroll.  I have always been a big fan of intersectional competition during the regular season, but in this day and age of declining revenues, driven primarily due to lower gate and concession revenues as well as the expanded availability of live streaming, ADs are looking to stay more local.

The SIAC will see significant travel reduction to Terre Haute, Columbus, Bloomington and Kentucky due to the additions of Jasper and Vincennes.  

10 schools works great for these extreme Northeast and Southwest Indiana outposts.  Central Indiana has plenty of schools to schedule for non con play, but The MIC, in particular, has become quite stale and could use the positive infusion that new schools like Cathedral and tech could bring to the table.  

The NLC is another conference that I feel would benefit by the addition of two more schools.  New Prairie and CMA would be solid additions, as would St Joe and / or Marian.  

The Mid State would also be a powerhouse with the possible additions of New Pal and Columbus East

Edited by DT

I would like to Nominate New Pal for Entry into the MIC. Reason- they have earned the right to come play in the best conference in the state. They could teach all the football teams how to play football. Their Baseball program is top notch. They have beaten CG 2 years in a row. Not enough teams in the MIC with Red as a school color. Their fans are the greatest. They need more competition. They will be in 6A in 2021. They beat Cathedral. They have a MR. Football winner. Their fans want Warren. Dragons are cool. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

I would like to Nominate New Pal for Entry into the MIC. Reason- they have earned the right to come play in the best conference in the state. They could teach all the football teams how to play football. Their Baseball program is top notch. They have beaten CG 2 years in a row. Not enough teams in the MIC with Red as a school color. Their fans are the greatest. They need more competition. They will be in 6A in 2021. They beat Cathedral. They have a MR. Football winner. Their fans want Warren. Dragons are cool. 

🙄

Not your best work.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Warren05 said:

I love it.  Great nomination.  Going to be very interesting to see what happens with NP in the post CS era.  

Can NP maintain this pace if Ralph were to move on back to Ohio?

3 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

I'm serious. Why would the MIC not want NP into the conference? Was any of what I said not try outside of the 1 sarcastic comment? 

I count five sarcastic/untrue comments.  

You’re trying too hard...

Kill this thread now.  10 team conferences do NOT add scheduling flexibility, as you maintain.  Both the HCC and the MIC are happy the way they are. It actually allows each to play one another in the regular season. And Columbus North is not a good fit for either conference.  They and CE need to join the Mid State, or both get in CI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Kill this thread now.  10 team conferences do NOT add scheduling flexibility, as you maintain.  Both the HCC and the MIC are happy the way they are. It actually allows each to play one another in the regular season. And Columbus North is not a good fit for either conference.  They and CE need to join the Mid State, or both get in CI.

Here's the deal: one doesn't always need to build a better mousetrap.   There would be flaws if these proposed mergers, acquisitions, mergers, jamborees, hootnannies, ad honkytonks were to be implemented anyway.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

You seem to know exactly what is best for all entities involved.  Where did you come up with all of your inside information?

4 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

Besides the comment about them showing the MIC teams how to play football what did u see as sarcastic? 

Not going to spell it out for you, you knew what you were trying to do.

7 hours ago, Temptation said:

I count five sarcastic/untrue comments.  

You’re trying too hard...

1.They are one of the best teams in the state. The MIC would be lucky to have them. Would raise the profile of the conference 

2.Sarcasim

3. Their Baseball program is in fact a very good one. 

4.they have beaten CG the last 2 seasons

5. The Red uniform comment is my opinion

6.the Fan base is great. Everyone says so and I have come to belive it.

7. The Conference they play in gives them no real competition 

8. All they have to do is win a reginal and they will be in 6A in 2021

9. They did beat Cathedral this past season in the playoffs.

10. Charlie Speigle did win Mr. Football honors this year.

11. Dragons are cool. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warren05 said:

1.They are one of the best teams in the state. The MIC would be lucky to have them. Would raise the profile of the conference 

2.Sarcasim

3. Their Baseball program is in fact a very good one. 

4.they have beaten CG the last 2 seasons

5. The Red uniform comment is my opinion

6.the Fan base is great. Everyone says so and I have come to belive it.

7. The Conference they play in gives them no real competition 

8. All they have to do is win a reginal and they will be in 6A in 2021

9. They did beat Cathedral this past season in the playoffs.

10. Charlie Speigle did win Mr. Football honors this year.

11. Dragons are cool. 

I’m gonna punt here.  Your writing gets harder and harder to read with each post.