Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ohio State got screwed!

BTF

Plain and simple.

ESPN:

An SEC officiating crew worked the game.

Williams also stood behind the overturned fumble, saying, "After the video, instant replay in the stadium as well as back at the video center, they both looked at it slow and fast and they determined when he moved, the ball was becoming loose in his hands and he did not complete the process of the catch."

Referring to the scoop and score that was overturned. The officiating crew blew the call. Period. 

• Disdain 1

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Plain and simple.

ESPN:

An SEC officiating crew worked the game.

Williams also stood behind the overturned fumble, saying, "After the video, instant replay in the stadium as well as back at the video center, they both looked at it slow and fast and they determined when he moved, the ball was becoming loose in his hands and he did not complete the process of the catch."

Referring to the scoop and score that was overturned. The officiating crew blew the call. Period. 

Yep, it was the refs fault...not the fact that they scored 16 points in FIVE possessions inside the opponent’s 25 yard line.

Plenty of other opportunities and it’s a loser’s mentality to focus on one call.

Go win the game.

24 minutes ago, DT said:

Clemson is not in The SEC

The implication - to me - was that the “questionable” calls were made by an SEC crew that was biased in favor of Clemson, seeing Ohio State as the greater threat to an eventual LSU national championship.

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The implication - to me - was that the “questionable” calls were made by an SEC crew that was biased in favor of Clemson, seeing Ohio State as the greater threat to an eventual LSU national championship.

I figured it was just a "southern thang,"

18 hours ago, Bobref said:

The implication in your post is unwarranted and offensive.

Unwarranted? Probably. Offensive.............maybe if you were on that SEC crew. But not to anyone on this forum. 

19 hours ago, Temptation said:

Yep, it was the refs fault...not the fact that they scored 16 points in FIVE possessions inside the opponent’s 25 yard line.

Plenty of other opportunities and it’s a loser’s mentality to focus on one call.

Go win the game.

I can't argue with the fact that Clemson scored more points and Ohio State had more opportunities. But being pissed off that the ref's blew a call that cost the Buck's 7 points isn't a losers mentality. It's a "DO YOUR F.....ing JOB" mentality. Clemson's defense won the game inside the red zone. Congrats to them. But at the end of the day, the best two teams aren't playing for the national championship. The game was gifted to Clemson as a result of a bad call and self inflicted wounds (targeting and running into the kicker). Merry Christmas Tigers.

16 hours ago, DT said:

Clemson is not in The SEC

That line was right above the quote. I probably shouldn't have included it. It was more informative than anything. 

31 minutes ago, BTF said:

Unwarranted? Probably. Offensive.............maybe if you were on that SEC crew. But not to anyone on this forum. 

When people equate an officiating error with “getting screwed,” it is offensive to every official, and to the team that worked hard and deserved to win. I’m not saying the two plays you referenced out of a couple hundred in the game were wrong calls. But if they were, they were honest mistakes, just like missed blocks, bad playcalls, incorrect reads, etc. It’s a game played - and officiated — by human beings. Mistakes, on all levels, are a part of the game. Learn to live with it rather than calling “foul” (no pun intended) whenever a slow-mo replay from an angle no official had reveals an incorrect call.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

When people equate an officiating error with “getting screwed,” it is offensive to every official, and to the team that worked hard and deserved to win. I’m not saying the two plays you referenced out of a couple hundred in the game were wrong calls. But if they were, they were honest mistakes, just like missed blocks, bad playcalls, incorrect reads, etc. It’s a game played - and officiated — by human beings. Mistakes, on all levels, are a part of the game. Learn to live with it rather than calling “foul” (no pun intended) whenever a slow-mo replay from an angle no official had reveals an incorrect call.

Honest mistakes? Seriously? It's the playoffs. They had replays to get it right. They still blew it. Not an honest mistake. A very stupid one.

I can live with it. On the bright side I don't have to see Fort Wayne littered with Ohio State fans donning their OSU wear . But if have any affiliation with OSU football whatsoever, then i'm pissed beyond imagination.

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Honest mistakes? Seriously? It's the playoffs. They had replays to get it right. They still blew it. Not an honest mistake. A very stupid one.

I can live with it. On the bright side I don't have to see Fort Wayne littered with Ohio State fans donning their OSU wear . But if have any affiliation with OSU football whatsoever, then i'm pissed beyond imagination.

As a lifelong Michigan fan, I can tell you that the most controversial game I can remember was the 2016 edition of THE GAME in Columbus...

That day was an absolute travesty from an officiating standpoint in favor of the home team.

I will spare you the specifics but I will also give you a quote that was given to me by many of my Buckeye friends that year:

“The refs did not make your quarterback turn it over twice...”

“Great teams can overcome poor officiating...”

“Blaming referees is a loser’s mentality...”

Certainly I am biased, but I see Saturday night’s transgressions as the ultimate form of karma...just three years too late.

Yes, I hold grudges, lol.

Does anybody remember the thread that surfaced on the GID a few months about the “better team always winning?”

I was adamant that that was not the case and this is just the latest data point.

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Excellent point Mr. Bob! Especially in this case it was such a tight call the same number of people would scream a team was screwed by the call. You could easily argue catch/fumble or incomplete. There is nothing in the rule about number of steps which those arguing for catch are using to justify their position. The key elements of the rule here are time and football act. Because of that you have to watch this replay at full speed. My gut feel the time I saw this live was incomplete. The ball was out very quickly. In slow motion a lot of incomplete passes look complete. I would put this play very much in the "when in doubt" category which the rule clearly states you rule incomplete.

The area of the rule book that covers forward/backward also states when in doubt it's forward and incomplete when not caught. It goes on to say though if replay is involved to rule it forward to let it play out. The catch/no catch rule doesn't state that, but the same often applies by philosophy. It's not always easy to overturn an incomplete pass ruling if replay shows it was backward or complete. In this case that can have a huge impact on the role of replay. The covering official is going to do the same thing on the field regardless if he actually rules catch/fumble or let's it play out for replay. They would communicate that decision to the replay official. If it's the former then he's looking at it with the assumption it was a catch and he needs to see something that proves that not to be true. If it's the latter then he's looking at it to make the actual decision of catch/no catch. Those are different thresholds.

You could legitimately argue this as a catch or incomplete. It was that close. Based on that neither choice is patently wrong or a team is getting screwed. You could have 100 top officials watch this play and you are probably going to get a 55-45 split and I'm not sure which way they would go. I lean toward incomplete because it was bang bang and it was my initial gut reaction when I saw it live. But I wouldn't tell someone who feels it was a catch they were wrong either. But nobody got screwed by either decision. Ohio State still had a chance to add on to their lead and had an opportunity to stop LSU on that long drive at the end. Even after that they were in striking distance with a chance to win. This call was far from the only reason they lost the game.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Excellent point Mr. Bob! Especially in this case it was such a tight call the same number of people would scream a team was screwed by the call. You could easily argue catch/fumble or incomplete. There is nothing in the rule about number of steps which those arguing for catch are using to justify their position. The key elements of the rule here are time and football act. Because of that you have to watch this replay at full speed. My gut feel the time I saw this live was incomplete. The ball was out very quickly. In slow motion a lot of incomplete passes look complete. I would put this play very much in the "when in doubt" category which the rule clearly states you rule incomplete.

The area of the rule book that covers forward/backward also states when in doubt it's forward and incomplete when not caught. It goes on to say though if replay is involved to rule it forward to let it play out. The catch/no catch rule doesn't state that, but the same often applies by philosophy. It's not always easy to overturn an incomplete pass ruling if replay shows it was backward or complete. In this case that can have a huge impact on the role of replay. The covering official is going to do the same thing on the field regardless if he actually rules catch/fumble or let's it play out for replay. They would communicate that decision to the replay official. If it's the former then he's looking at it with the assumption it was a catch and he needs to see something that proves that not to be true. If it's the latter then he's looking at it to make the actual decision of catch/no catch. Those are different thresholds.

You could legitimately argue this as a catch or incomplete. It was that close. Based on that neither choice is patently wrong or a team is getting screwed. You could have 100 top officials watch this play and you are probably going to get a 55-45 split and I'm not sure which way they would go. I lean toward incomplete because it was bang bang and it was my initial gut reaction when I saw it live. But I wouldn't tell someone who feels it was a catch they were wrong either. But nobody got screwed by either decision. Ohio State still had a chance to add on to their lead and had an opportunity to stop LSU on that long drive at the end. Even after that they were in striking distance with a chance to win. This call was far from the only reason they lost the game.

At least they didn't blow it dead so they had the opportunity to go back and review it.  THAT is what has many folks outraged...the fact that the call on the field was reversed.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

At least they didn't blow it dead so they had the opportunity to go back and review it.  THAT is what has many folks outraged...the fact that the call on the field was reversed.

Look at it this way...the call on the field may have actually been: I'm not 100% certain if it was a catch so I'm going to let replay make the actual decision and not confirm that I think it's a catch. Do you see how that's a different mindset or approach for the replay official?

Just now, JustRules said:

Look at it this way...the call on the field may have actually been: I'm not 100% certain if it was a catch so I'm going to let replay make the actual decision and not confirm that I think it's a catch. Do you see how that's a different mindset or approach for the replay official?

Yep, which is the right call because it gives you options, which blowing the play dead would not have done.

I did say “many folks” were outraged...not me.

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Yep, which is the right call because it gives you options, which blowing the play dead would not have done.

I did say “many folks” were outraged...not me.

Many folks were going to be outraged regardless of which way they ruled. That has no impact on the game crew before or after the call. They know it's a no win situation so they just go with what their experience and training have taught them and move on. They have more plays to worry about and after the game have next season to worry about.

• 1 month later...

Been a Buckeye fan since I can remember and that is a LONG time and I have to agree with Temptation on this one.  The Buckeyes blew several chances to score inside the Clemson 25 and came away with nothing.  Well, 16 points in 5 trips.  I have to give it to Clemson (especially Lawrence) for getting the win.  Lawrence is going to be the next Mahommes.  You know he is coming out after next season (his junior year).  More than likely, Clemson will end up in the playoffs again and he'll probably win the Heisman.  The loss to LSU was the first time he had lost a game in high school OR college.  He is going to be the most polished QB coming out of college in a while.  Everyone is in love with what Burrow did this year, but he only did it for one year.  Lawrence  impressed me as a freshman.  I felt then he looked about NFL ready.  With last year and next year on top of what he did his freshman year, he's a franchise player waiting to happen.  I'm hoping the Colts pass on drafting a QB this year and go all in next year (whatever it takes) to move up to #1 and take Lawrence.  Besides, you can't coach/teach 6' 5 and the dude can run!

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Been a Buckeye fan since I can remember and that is a LONG time and I have to agree with Temptation on this one.  The Buckeyes blew several chances to score inside the Clemson 25 and came away with nothing.  Well, 16 points in 5 trips.  I have to give it to Clemson (especially Lawrence) for getting the win.  Lawrence is going to be the next Mahommes.  You know he is coming out after next season (his junior year).  More than likely, Clemson will end up in the playoffs again and he'll probably win the Heisman.  The loss to LSU was the first time he had lost a game in high school OR college.  He is going to be the most polished QB coming out of college in a while.  Everyone is in love with what Burrow did this year, but he only did it for one year.  Lawrence  impressed me as a freshman.  I felt then he looked about NFL ready.  With last year and next year on top of what he did his freshman year, he's a franchise player waiting to happen.  I'm hoping the Colts pass on drafting a QB this year and go all in next year (whatever it takes) to move up to #1 and take Lawrence.  Besides, you can't coach/teach 6' 5 and the dude can run!

LOL, well timed post (especially when your first sentence is taken into consideration.)

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

LOL, well timed post (especially when your first sentence is taken into consideration.)

It's taken me this long to get over the loss.  LOL  I still say Lawrence is the real deal and will step right in and be a starter if he gets drafted by the right team.  I can give props where they are due even if it's someone on the "other" team.  Well, I'd never give props to Michigan.  LOL

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

It's taken me this long to get over the loss.  LOL  I still say Lawrence is the real deal and will step right in and be a starter if he gets drafted by the right team.  I can give props where they are due even if it's someone on the "other" team.  Well, I'd never give props to Michigan.  LOL

“Two Ohio State players face rape accusations...”

”Let me give you my thoughts on that game from 7 weeks ago...”

LOL.