Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

AP All State

Got no personal investment in this whatsoever (my kids are LOOOOONG past their playing days), but just how QB Kyle Cheek of Chatard doesn’t even receive an Honorable Mention (maybe I misread or missed something) baffles me.  The kid didn’t get any mention in Coaches’ either.  Heck....I don’t think he got any post season accolades whatsoever outside of All-Conference.

This was arguably the most prolific scoring Chatard team, frankly, EVER and ended up ranked 3rd in the State (All Classes) per Maxpreps (personally, I think that’s correct, btw...but would have loved to have seen that Sr. class play New Pal like they did their Freshman year) and 6th overall per Sagarin (All Classes....5th in Predictor, btw) with an offense divided 50/50 between passing and running.....rarely playing a game that didn’t have a running clock (only 1 regular season game didn’t have a running clock).

I really feel like the kid got overlooked.

7 hours ago, Lysander said:

Got no personal investment in this whatsoever (my kids are LOOOOONG past their playing days), but just how QB Kyle Cheek of Chatard doesn’t even receive an Honorable Mention (maybe I misread or missed something) baffles me.  The kid didn’t get any mention in Coaches’ either.  Heck....I don’t think he got any post season accolades whatsoever outside of All-Conference.

This was arguably the most prolific scoring Chatard team, frankly, EVER and ended up ranked 3rd in the State (All Classes) per Maxpreps (personally, I think that’s correct, btw...but would have loved to have seen that Sr. class play New Pal like they did their Freshman year) and 6th overall per Sagarin (All Classes....5th in Predictor, btw) with an offense divided 50/50 between passing and running.....rarely playing a game that didn’t have a running clock (only 1 regular season game didn’t have a running clock).

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the 3A list.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lysander said:

I agree with your thoughts completely, however I find it kind of ironic that 13 of the 24 listed players to make the AP team are from two sectionals. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, Patriot 74 said:

I agree with your thoughts completely, however I find it kind of ironic that 13 of the 24 listed players to make the AP team are from two sectionals. 

Without even looking, I assume those two were Sectionals 28 and 32.  

If the case, it wasn't “irony”...it was “truth”.

From the day the sectionals were announced, most of us figured the winners of those two sectionals would meet at LOS.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 3:45 AM, Lysander said:

...but would have loved to have seen that Sr. class play New Pal like they did their Freshman year) and 6th overall per Sagarin (All Classes....5th in Predictor, btw) with an offense divided 50/50 between passing and running.....rarely playing a game that didn’t have a running clock (only 1 regular season game didn’t have a running clock).

Agreed that this would have probably been a top 5 matchup in the state.  I saw Chatard play twice last year and thought it would have been a great opponent for New Pal.  I'm not sure how the RB isn't more recruited?  Surely he has some offers?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Agreed that this would have probably been a top 5 matchup in the state.  I saw Chatard play twice last year and thought it would have been a great opponent for New Pal.  I'm not sure how the RB isn't more recruited?  Surely he has some offers?

I would have liked to have seen that game as well.  I’m absolutely bummed that Brebeuf managed to fill the vacant Center Grove slot for New Pal next year.  The BJs have done a good job over the last few years of really upgrading their schedule.   

Solely by accident, I know a little about where Taylor might be in that process but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to discuss it.  Chatard has, over the years, had some fairly solid tailbacks and he is one of those rare kids who where 3 year starters at tailback.  It’s been a joy to watch him.

There will be a lot of talented kids that can successfully step into major roles next year but Taylor has left behind some monster sized shoes to fill.  Special player.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:45 AM, Lysander said:

So, I have been wondering the same thing + a few other questions regarding this. I have talked to some folks who have inside knowledge on how the voting works and how the voting took place. It appears the process does not work well for players who happen to be on teams which are head and shoulders above every other team in the class, like Chatard this past year.

If you review the data (Max Preps, not perfect I know, but its what I have) - Kyle Cheek was absolutely, at a minimum, an Honorable Mention in 3A for QB. I would contend that he earned significant All-State consideration. Kyle Adams was excellent and more than deserving. However,  Kyle Cheek would be right there in 3A and probably the state (all classes). Through November 20th, I took ALL the QBs in the state and sorted out the top 50 based on passing yards. Then, I ranked those remaining 50 based on QBR. Not perfect, but enough of a picture to support my assertion. Here would be the top 10:

Name Pos Yds Yds/G Comp Att Pct TD Int Rate G
Logan White - Sr QB, P 3802 345.6 261 344 0.759 42 6 143.7 11
Rylan Metz - Sr QB, FS 2576 234.2 190 270 0.704 31 4 132.6 11
Kyle Adams - Sr QB 3938 328.2 294 407 0.722 55 10 131.9 12
Maximus Grimes - Jr QB 1886 235.8 113 177 0.638 19 2 130.8 8
James Arnold - Jr QB, MLB 3168 264 158 271 0.583 43 6 129.7 12
Kyle Cheek - Sr QB 1978 152.2 147 222 0.662 29 4 126.5 13
Alex Stirn - Sr SS, QB 1894 157.8 118 190 0.621 24 4 126.2 12
Garrett Yoon - So QB 2332 179.4 140 218 0.642 28 8 124.5 13
Luke Goode - Jr QB 2778 231.5 175 286 0.612 27 2 122.1 12
Bailey Parker - Sr FS, QB 2730 210 205 323 0.635 39 6 122 13

Kyle Cheek did get an All-City nod, but you could make the case he was the best QB in the city as the QB who won Player of the Year stats would have ranked at #30 in the state, using the above math.

Then, IFCA all state limits coaches to 5 nominees. I understand the spirit of the rule, but when a team clearly is better than every other 3A team during a season, doesn't it make sense that an exception could/should be made. Kyle was not even nominated due to the depth of talent on the team. The two all state, class 3A QBs do not even make the top 50 of this list. Not trying to say they don't deserve it, but the numbers suggest that Kyle Cheek sure does.

So, not only was he not recognized in IFCA All State, I have to assume that the AP All State was a function of the press cutting and pasting rather than actually awarding based on performance as there is no way Kyle Cheek is not deserving of, at a minimum, Honorable Mention with the dozen or so QBs who made the list.

SO, the way I see it - I agree - kid was more than overlooked and part of that has to do with a process which did not allow for him to even be considered. Ultimately, the team won State which is what the goal was, but history is written with Kyle Cheek "getting overlooked" due to the process, I think.

An absolute shame.

Happy to hear any thoughts/feedback.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

So, I have been wondering the same thing + a few other questions regarding this. I have talked to some folks who have inside knowledge on how the voting works and how the voting took place. It appears the process does not work well for players who happen to be on teams which are head and shoulders above every other team in the class, like Chatard this past year.

If you review the data (Max Preps, not perfect I know, but its what I have) - Kyle Cheek was absolutely, at a minimum, an Honorable Mention in 3A for QB. I would contend that he earned significant All-State consideration. Kyle Adams was excellent and more than deserving. However,  Kyle Cheek would be right there in 3A and probably the state (all classes). Through November 20th, I took ALL the QBs in the state and sorted out the top 50 based on passing yards. Then, I ranked those remaining 50 based on QBR. Not perfect, but enough of a picture to support my assertion. Here would be the top 10:

Name Pos Yds Yds/G Comp Att Pct TD Int Rate G
Logan White - Sr QB, P 3802 345.6 261 344 0.759 42 6 143.7 11
Rylan Metz - Sr QB, FS 2576 234.2 190 270 0.704 31 4 132.6 11
Kyle Adams - Sr QB 3938 328.2 294 407 0.722 55 10 131.9 12
Maximus Grimes - Jr QB 1886 235.8 113 177 0.638 19 2 130.8 8
James Arnold - Jr QB, MLB 3168 264 158 271 0.583 43 6 129.7 12
Kyle Cheek - Sr QB 1978 152.2 147 222 0.662 29 4 126.5 13
Alex Stirn - Sr SS, QB 1894 157.8 118 190 0.621 24 4 126.2 12
Garrett Yoon - So QB 2332 179.4 140 218 0.642 28 8 124.5 13
Luke Goode - Jr QB 2778 231.5 175 286 0.612 27 2 122.1 12
Bailey Parker - Sr FS, QB 2730 210 205 323 0.635 39 6 122 13

Kyle Cheek did get an All-City nod, but you could make the case he was the best QB in the city as the QB who won Player of the Year stats would have ranked at #30 in the state, using the above math.

Then, IFCA all state limits coaches to 5 nominees. I understand the spirit of the rule, but when a team clearly is better than every other 3A team during a season, doesn't it make sense that an exception could/should be made. Kyle was not even nominated due to the depth of talent on the team. The two all state, class 3A QBs do not even make the top 50 of this list. Not trying to say they don't deserve it, but the numbers suggest that Kyle Cheek sure does.

So, not only was he not recognized in IFCA All State, I have to assume that the AP All State was a function of the press cutting and pasting rather than actually awarding based on performance as there is no way Kyle Cheek is not deserving of, at a minimum, Honorable Mention with the dozen or so QBs who made the list.

SO, the way I see it - I agree - kid was more than overlooked and part of that has to do with a process which did not allow for him to even be considered. Ultimately, the team won State which is what the goal was, but history is written with Kyle Cheek "getting overlooked" due to the process, I think.

An absolute shame.

Happy to hear any thoughts/feedback.

Absolutely agree here!  Kyle Cheek was very deserving this year of All State honors.  The numbers speak for themselves, and he led them to a state championship, playing the hardest playoff schedule possible.  The kid is a gamer!  The limit on nominations prevented several on Chatard from All State honors -  no juniors on the IFCA All state Junior team???  As I stated in a previous post, there were at least two very deserving juniors, especially given their performance against better competition in regular season and in the playoffs against the #2, #3, #4, #5 and #11 ranked teams in 3A.   I understand the rules on limitations and coaches nominating seniors, but sometimes rules should be changed, like the rule that gets you thrown out of a national championship for targeting!

On 1/17/2020 at 1:18 PM, JackStraw1 said:

Absolutely agree here!  Kyle Cheek was very deserving this year of All State honors.  The numbers speak for themselves, and he led them to a state championship, playing the hardest playoff schedule possible.  The kid is a gamer!  The limit on nominations prevented several on Chatard from All State honors -  no juniors on the IFCA All state Junior team???  As I stated in a previous post, there were at least two very deserving juniors, especially given their performance against better competition in regular season and in the playoffs against the #2, #3, #4, #5 and #11 ranked teams in 3A.   I understand the rules on limitations and coaches nominating seniors, but sometimes rules should be changed, like the rule that gets you thrown out of a national championship for targeting!

I noted the juniors on a different post and it is perplexing. There is no way on gods green earth that any list, and I mean any list, which recognizes All State Juniors would not include at least one Chatard Junior player. Something is wrong with this. Maybe the process? Maybe the members of the IFCA could think through this a bit and come up with something that is much more reflective of reality. Not sure how that happens and would love to hear thoughts on that as well. Minimum of 2 if not 4 or 5 juniors who easily could have, and should have, made that list.

21 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I know coaches that were contacted in previous years for AP that were not this year....and also how it came out so late.  I think the whole thing was just pencil whipped looking at IFCA and a couple other data points.

That may be true, and, if so, the kids are the ones who pay the price for adults being lazy and/or unprepared. Again, maybe the process should be reviewed and, at a minimum, remove those who just "pencil whip". I also asked some members of the AP how the process works so I can better understand. Waiting on that reply.