Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Blue Bloods

BTF

I just came across this article. It's from 2016, but it looks pretty good. According to ESPN, college football boasts 8 Blue Bloods.  Clemson moves up the list from #17, but still not worthy of Top 8 status. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

Pretty accurate, in a “big picture” sense. I would love to see Texas and Nebraska reinvigorate their programs. College football would be the better for it. USC ... they can disappear for all I care.

I agree. Football is just better when the traditional power programs are doing well. I don't mind USC so much when ND is on the winning side of the rivalry.

I’m going to take some heat for this but you’re not a blue blood my opinion if you have gone more than two decades without a national championship.  It’s not a lifetime pass.

The kids you are currently recruiting were not born the last time you hoisted the title.

Sorry Michigan and Notre Dame.

UCLA and Indiana basketball are also “has beens.”

Football:

Oklahoma

Alabama

Texas

USC

Ohio State

Knocking on the door:  Clemson/LSU

Basketball:

Kansas

Kentucky

Duke

North Carolina

Knocking on the door:  Villanova/Michigan State

Its an elite/exclusive club in my opinion.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

I’m going to take some heat for this but you’re not a blue blood my opinion if you have gone more than two decades without a national championship.  It’s not a lifetime pass.

The kids you are currently recruiting were not born the last time you hoisted the title.

Sorry Michigan and Notre Dame.

UCLA and Indiana basketball are also “has beens.”

My interpretation of a Blue Blood is more historical. I look at the body of work over a lifetime. If a team had 10 national championships but posted a losing record 20 years in a row, I'd still consider that team a Blue Blood based on past performance. There needs to be another name for those who have had the most success in the past decade. 

37 minutes ago, BTF said:

My interpretation of a Blue Blood is more historical. I look at the body of work over a lifetime. If a team had 10 national championships but posted a losing record 20 years in a row, I'd still consider that team a Blue Blood based on past performance. There needs to be another name for those who have had the most success in the past decade. 

To me it is success over multiple decades consecutively with very few down periods.

Notre Dame and Michigan are in the process of forfeiting their title.

USC and Texas are hanging on but at least have titles they can claim recently.

Nebraska and Tennessee’s ship has sailed.

Nobody does less with more than Georgia.  They always seem to be in that top 10 area but can never seal the deal.  Fair or not but the heat is going to start turning up on Kirby Smart here soon.

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

National Champions or bust, huh?  Lol

At least being in the conversation on a consistent basis… A lot of luck goes into becoming that final team standing but if you have not won one in the last two decades, you’re washed up.

To me it is success over multiple decades consecutively with very few down periods.

Wouldn't that disqualify USC? They've been anything but impressive over the last decade. And when they did do well it was because Pete Carroll was cheating. 

Alabama went through a down period between 1982 and 2008 where they posted only 3 conference championships. 

Texas has only 2 conference championships between 1997 and 2019 with none in the last decade. 

I have a hard time excluding Michigan and Notre Dame as the two winningest programs in college football history. 

The case for Notre Dame: Three 10 win seasons in a row. Two 11 win seasons in a row. College football appearance in 2018. National Championship appearance in 2012.

The case for Michigan: Winningest program in history speaks for itself. Hard not to consider them a Blue Blood. They haven't had a national or conference championship in awhile, but they win their fair share of games. 

6 hours ago, Temptation said:

At least being in the conversation on a consistent basis… A lot of luck goes into becoming that final team standing but if you have not won one in the last two decades, you’re washed up.

Notre Dame has been in the conversation for the past decade.

56 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Sorta.  Two underserved appearances.

Who would have been your fourth team last year? Please don't say Ohio State. Kirk Herbstreit went to bat last year for the Buckeyes and showed how biased he was in the process. I had the Irish as a 10 pt favorite over the Bucks last year. 

Edited by BTF
correction

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

Underserved?

Throttled, both times.  No conference title appearance required and product of a weak schedule.  

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Was Alabama an undeserving team last year as well? 

Nope, they won the semifinal.  😉

19 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Throttled, both times.  No conference title appearance required and product of a weak schedule.  

Nope, they won the semifinal.  😉

😀 So when the point differential against a common opponent in the same tournament does not suit your point of view, reach for something else? hmmmmm 🙂

• Haha 1

As far as the 2010 season goes, I said it then and still feel the Bama team that year would have beaten any team that bad with a month to prepare., including Georgia. Yes, I know that Georgia played them well in the SEC title game. Should someone else have made it besides Georgia? The argument against Georgia, is that Bama WON the right to not face them again. Bama was by far the best team that year. It would not have been fitting to setup the scenario where Bama would have to beat Georgia two times in the post season to win a title, especially being ranked number 1 most of that year; while Georgia could have just split with Bama to win a championship. 

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

As far as the 2010 season goes, I said it then and still feel the Bama team that year would have beaten any team that bad with a month to prepare., including Georgia. Yes, I know that Georgia played them well in the SEC title game. Should someone else have made it besides Georgia? The argument against Georgia, is that Bama WON the right to not face them again. Bama was by far the best team that year. It would not have been fitting to setup the scenario where Bama would have to beat Georgia two times in the post season to win a title, especially being ranked number 1 most of that year; while Georgia could have just split with Bama to win a championship. 

I think you are referring to 2012. I felt like Notre Dame was the best team outside of the SEC. No one wanted to see an all SEC title and ND fit the bill with their undefeated record. I think the throttling of Oklahoma on their home field was an eye opener that set themselves apart from some of the other contenders...........that was a good win. Undeserving? I don't think so, but I do admit there were two or three SEC teams that year who may have been able to meet ND. 

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

😀 So when the point differential against a common opponent in the same tournament does not suit your point of view, reach for something else? hmmmmm 🙂

Arguing and trying to make a case for Notre Dame as a blue blood because they got blown out by Clemson by “less than Alabama” just proves my point.

Shake down the thunder...

Wake up the echoes.

Your program (along with mine, I remind you) is living on past glory.

There really is no hard and fast definition of a "blue blood", at least for me, as my approach is a little subdued.  I do remember watching teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, and USC who were pretty good back in the day and are still pretty good now.  Others, such as Nebraska, may have fallen off a bit, but given their wild fan base in Nebraska, I also consider them in that category.  Purdue & IU?  Not really blue bloods in football, but always fun to watch as you wat your teams to do well.

Arguing and trying to make a case for Notre Dame as a blue blood because they got blown out by Clemson by “less than Alabama” just proves my point.

Shake down the thunder...

Wake up the echoes.

Your program (along with mine, I remind you) is living on past glory.

That was not the case I was arguing. I get the larger point you are making and would agree. I was actually sad that Book decided to come back. He was the weakest link this season. BUT, to say that ND was not deserving of their place in the playoff or BCS is silly. Your point that I originally responded to was that ND was beaten by Clemson by so many points, it proved they did not belong. I just pointed out the irony in that statement because they won the next game by a wider spread. In fact, they jumped out early on Bama; something they did NOT do against ND. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I think you are referring to 2012. I felt like Notre Dame was the best team outside of the SEC. No one wanted to see an all SEC title and ND fit the bill with their undefeated record. I think the throttling of Oklahoma on their home field was an eye opener that set themselves apart from some of the other contenders...........that was a good win. Undeserving? I don't think so, but I do admit there were two or three SEC teams that year who may have been able to meet ND. 

Thanks for correcting the year. I agree that there were a couple teams in the SEC that could have likely beaten ND as well. But as I stated, Bama won the right to not have to play any of them a second time. 

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I was actually sad that Book decided to come back. He was the weakest link this season.

Lol. Am I hallucinating or did you just write that?

He completed 60% of his passes for 3000 yards and 34 touchdowns against 6 interceptions with a QB rating of 149. Notre Dame is a pre-season playoff contender with him coming back. 

Early prediction for 2020. Notre Dame gets their signature win in South Bend on November 7th . But they might have one loss going into that game. Wisconsin will be really jacked up and ready to play in Lambeau. 

13 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Your point that I originally responded to was that ND was beaten by Clemson by so many points, it proved they did not belong. I just pointed out the irony in that statement because they won the next game by a wider spread. In fact, they jumped out early on Bama; something they did NOT do against ND. 

Clemson wasted Alabama because..........well, they just wasted them. They really only beat ND in the second period when Julian Love went down with an injury. Clemson did what a good coaching staff would do and go after his replacement. They scored 3 touchdowns...........boom, boom, boom. They scored one touchdown in the second half after he returned. Comical that not one person on ESPN aka Fake News acknowledged that fact. They just used the score as an opportunity to pounce on the Irish. 

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

But as I stated, Bama won the right to not have to play any of them a second time. 

Agree. 

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

Lol. Am I hallucinating or did you just write that?

He completed 60% of his passes for 3000 yards and 34 touchdowns against 6 interceptions with a QB rating of 149. Notre Dame is a pre-season playoff contender with him coming back. 

Early prediction for 2020. Notre Dame gets their signature win in South Bend on November 7th . But they might have one loss going into that game. Wisconsin will be really jacked up and ready to play in Lambeau. 

Clemson wasted Alabama because..........well, they just wasted them. They really only beat ND in the second period when Julian Love went down with an injury. Clemson did what a good coaching staff would do and go after his replacement. They scored 3 touchdowns...........boom, boom, boom. They scored one touchdown in the second half after he returned. Comical that not one person on ESPN aka Fake News acknowledged that fact. They just used the score as an opportunity to pounce on the Irish. 

Agree. 

Half of Bama’s coaching staff had one foot out the door and their level of preparation for that championship game was not on par with the rest of their season.

If Alabama and Clemson played 10 times last year, Clemson would win 6.

If Clemson and Notre Dame played 10 times last year, Clemson wins 9, maybe all ten.

Outside of Ohio State, those in the southeast are not threatened one bit by midwestern football, blue blood or not.