Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU vs. Tennessee

Irishman

IU is hanging around. They are dangerous team to keep in the game. Tennessee can move the ball easily from 10 to 10, and should be up big. IU playing the bend but don’t break mindset on defense has served them well. But they have to play better in the 2nd half. 

39 minutes ago, Irishman said:

IU is hanging around. They are dangerous team to keep in the game. Tennessee can move the ball easily from 10 to 10, and should be up big. IU playing the bend but don’t break mindset on defense has served them well. But they have to play better in the 2nd half. 

So far so good.

As always, hanging on to receipts:

“Remember what happened to Purdue when they went to play an SEC team in a post season bowl game.  Auburn destroyed them.  Totally different athlete and roster makeup .  TN should be favored by 3 TDs over IU if you do a true talent comparison.  Their program is in disarray and they are in rebuilding mode.  Remember, TN has a national championship and multi SEC championship background.  They will be back in the picture before too long.  This shows just how tough the SEC is week in and week out, when a program with an over abundance of talent like TN struggles to remain relevant.”

“I am very concerned that TN will run wild all over the field against IU the way that Auburn did against Purdue.  The talent gap between TN and Indiana is massive.  More than anything, these bowl games demonstrate the speed gap between the SEC and the Big Ten.”

- DT
Edited by Guest

50 minutes ago, Temptation said:

As always, hanging on to receipts:

“Remember what happened to Purdue when they went to play an SEC team in a post season bowl game.  Auburn destroyed them.  Totally different athlete and roster makeup .  TN should be favored by 3 TDs over IU if you do a true talent comparison.  Their program is in disarray and they are in rebuilding mode.  Remember, TN has a national championship and multi SEC championship background.  They will be back in the picture before too long.  This shows just how tough the SEC is week in and week out, when a program with an over abundance of talent like TN struggles to remain relevant.”

“I am very concerned that TN will run wild all over the field against IU the way that Auburn did against Purdue.  The talent gap between TN and Indiana is massive.  More than anything, these bowl games demonstrate the speed gap between the SEC and the Big Ten.”

- DT

DT remains the most quoted and most widely followed personality on The GID.   Merry New Year. 

How does TN play so poorly with so much talent?

Starting a new decade like they did the previous two........still searching for a trademark win. They come close so often, but can never seem to finish. Great call on the onside kick by Tennessee though. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Starting a new decade like they did the previous two........still searching for a trademark win. They come close so often, but can never seem to finish. Great call on the onside kick by Tennessee though. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 

Not so great call by IU on the onside kick ... I think everyone saw that one coming besides the coaching staff.  Great season, just couldn't really ever get that big win as you point out.  I like where this team is heading and the exposure in this bowl game will help as well. 

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

18 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Not so great call by IU on the onside kick ... I think everyone saw that one coming besides the coaching staff.  Great season, just couldn't really ever get that big win as you point out.  I like where this team is heading and the exposure in this bowl game will help as well. 

Both coaches tried to lose it down the stretch.  WTF was IU thinking on their second to last drive?  Long pass play to get near FG range with 3:30 to go and then they drop back to pass three more times in a row resulting in a 52 yard FG attempt?

Some coaches overthink things and can not get out of their own way...

Maybe Allen should work a bit more on end of game situations and less time on knowing exactly where the camera is at for his choreographed pre game speeches...

IU was completely unprepared for the onside kick.

After Ramsey’s scramble/pitch on 3rd and long he was overwhelmed and nearly iced his own kicker.

The aforementioned decision to drop back to pass three consecutive times instead of setting up your kicker for a higher percentage kick after the long pass with just under 4 to go.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

How can you sometimes be so darn wrong?

I do like your ability to get discussion going......

Tennessee has the 25th best roster in the country.   IU is around mid 50s

On paper this should be no contest.   

Indiana only had 3 men on the receiving line for the onside kick.   Everyone else was positioned for a return.   How could they not be ready for that

TN is just bad.  They have great athletes but only average football players and an inexperienced and mediocre staff.   

And still IU couldn't get it done

No surprise.  Nor disappointment.  Just normal expectations fulfilled. 

5 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Teams are more than just great athletes.  I think you get way to enamored with a star ranking as a high school kid.

IU basketball has pretty good darn athletes....now if one of them could consistently shoot a basketball.

Tennessee had an impressive sized D line...after watching them jump offsides and line up in the neutral zone repeatedly, it was obvious they lacked discipline and perhaps a head for the game.

As you state above, player development is critical and I believe the biggest responsibility of a coaching staff.

The game is more than 40 times, shuttle times, vertical jumps and benchpress.

Great post.

Tennessee has more than a few guys who will be playing on Sunday's, but they didn't play as a cohesive unit.

They had below average QB play (from a kid who was the 79th rated prospect in his class which goes to show you stars aren't everything) and made way too many mental errors and lacked discipline.

Wasn't CTA's finer moments last night, but you can tell his players respect him and will play hard for him every play. 

Tough way to end the season but I see things getting better in Bloomington. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Great post.

Tennessee has more than a few guys who will be playing on Sunday's, but they didn't play as a cohesive unit.

They had below average QB play (from a kid who was the 79th rated prospect in his class which goes to show you stars aren't everything) and made way too many mental errors and lacked discipline.

Wasn't CTA's finer moments last night, but you can tell his players respect him and will play hard for him every play. 

Tough way to end the season but I see things getting better in Bloomington. 

I can easily see 8 wins again next year in Bloomington...

30 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I couldn't tell if he was overwhelmed and tried to call timeout to talk with his kicker, or because he had doubts about having him kick and thought about going for it on 4th down.  Given the kickers performance over the past 2 games, I certainly understand having doubts about him making a 52 yard kick....

If Tom Allen didn't ice him, the officials holding up the play for whatever reason sure did.  I don't understand what happened there.

Edited by HereComesTheBoom

24 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Teams are more than just great athletes.  I think you get way to enamored with a star ranking as a high school kid.

IU basketball has pretty good darn athletes....now if one of them could consistently shoot a basketball.

Tennessee had an impressive sized D line...after watching them jump offsides and line up in the neutral zone repeatedly, it was obvious they lacked discipline and perhaps a head for the game.

As you state above, player development is critical and I believe the biggest responsibility of a coaching staff.

The game is more than 40 times, shuttle times, vertical jumps and benchpress.

The star rankings are accurate much more often than not.   I think we have to trust the evaluation skills of the football people who assign these rankings.  

It's clear that some staffs handle talent better than others.  Maryland is another prime example.   

1 hour ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

If Tom Allen didn't ice him, the officials holding up the play for whatever reason sure did.  I don't understand what happened there.

I believe the clock didn't run prior to the time out like it was supposed to so they had to reset the clock. Once the clock was reset the officials backed out.

Was at the game. What happened at the end of the first half? Thought IU had 1 timeout left and instead of using it they let the clock run down to 3 seconds then kicked the field goal. Why didn’t they use the timeout earlier, try a play to the end zone then kick the field goal? I didn’t understand that and not having the hands team out there for the onsides kick. Great game to be at, except the ending if you’re an IU fan, and I thought the stadium was awesome.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Was at the game. What happened at the end of the first half? Thought IU had 1 timeout left and instead of using it they let the clock run down to 3 seconds then kicked the field goal. Why didn’t they use the timeout earlier, try a play to the end zone then kick the field goal? I didn’t understand that and not having the hands team out there for the onsides kick. Great game to be at, except the ending if you’re an IU fan, and I thought the stadium was awesome.

Forgot about that one.

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I think they were saving the TO at the end of the half to set up for the FG.  But it was horrible clock management.  IU should have gotten off 2 plays.  For whatever reason, QB was very slow getting the ball spiked.  Allen probably should have used the TO and simply told Q to put the ball out of the back of the end zone if no one open.  But they should have had one play for the TD before settling for the FG attempt.  You are spot on.  They went into halftime still holding onto a timeout.  As many said, last night was not Allen's best game.  I sure hope he learns from the mistakes last night.  I guess that is a part of growth.

Something tells me that the players/coaching staff forgot they had a TO to use. Why would you hurry everyone up to the line to spike it otherwise?

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Perhaps....everyone got up to the line, but then the spike seemed very delayed.  Seemed like it was all in slow motion.

I thought they wanted to RPO with 7 or 8 secs left and have the timeout if it was unsuccessful.

You're getting one play with 8 seconds meaning they should have called the TO right there and then and as you said thrown one in the back of the endzone.

Want to give CTA the benefit of the doubt, but the way the team hurried to the line makes it appear they didn't realize they had a TO remaining. 

33 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Forgot about that one.

Apparently so did Coach Allen.

Is Fresno St. regretting their hire?

Seems a lot of blame is going towards IU's HC and OC.

21 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I am not saying they don't...but it isn't an end all, be all process.  Tennessee has been way down in the SEC for the past few years under a few coaches.  I believe the Vols had lost to Vandy for the past 3 years until this year.  (lost 5 of last 8 against Vandy)  I don't believe for one minute watching the game last night that Tenn has significantly more talent than IU.  

Tenn was a 2 pt favorite and didn't cover.  IU blew that game...pure and simple....and the loss wasn't due to talent differential or IU overachieving.

TN underachieving