Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

mercey rule 1 year in

On 1/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, slice60 said:

My friend is a basketball referee who is working his way up the ladder. Currently, he does alot of girls games along with some boys JV/Frosh, etc.

Last month, he told me about a varsity 1A girls game that he worked. 

44-7 at the half. You might think that the winning coach would use the 2nd half to get some varsity experience for his younger players? Nope.

Even though they had 12 players dressed, the winning team went with a 7-player rotation until only 3:30 remained in the game-- then he put 3 of the bench players in to finish. 2 of his own players didn't play at all...in a 89-23 game.

So in many cases, sportsmanship is totally up to the coaches in basketball. Some are good at it, some are not.

Basketball is just a different animal. The coaches don't necessarily share film, the officials have no agreement like we do in Football where they get a copy of the film. 

To your point, I never understood this stuff either. My DD when she was a frosh would dress with the V but was always under what I called the 35 point rule. She was never allowed in the game unless we had a 35 point lead. They would even make her set in the JV game so she would have quarters available in the V game. I'm thinking after the half, use that time to get some of your young kids in and get them some meaningful reps with the V. Don't just throw your JV on the floor with the rest of the JV at the end of the game. That serves no purpose other than getting them some more JV time. By putting kids in with the V, they're getting experience with the speed of the game and it's actual V experience. 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, slice60 said:

My friend is a basketball referee who is working his way up the ladder. Currently, he does alot of girls games along with some boys JV/Frosh, etc.

Last month, he told me about a varsity 1A girls game that he worked. 

44-7 at the half. You might think that the winning coach would use the 2nd half to get some varsity experience for his younger players? Nope.

Even though they had 12 players dressed, the winning team went with a 7-player rotation until only 3:30 remained in the game-- then he put 3 of the bench players in to finish. 2 of his own players didn't play at all...in a 89-23 game.

So in many cases, sportsmanship is totally up to the coaches in basketball. Some are good at it, some are not.

I know a team just like that. It will be sweet to play them next year when their 2 D1 committed players are gone. Full court press with a 30 point lead isn't cool. At least we held them to a season low point total. Still lost by 29.

3 hours ago, SBFootball1 said:

It is a body of water to be ferried across...according  to Gerry and the Pacemakers

3 hours ago, gonzoron said:

That's the Mersey

I thought it was a Stephen King book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

I thought “Mercey” was a French word.....or sumpthin’.

I’ve been to France.  They get all bent out of shape if we use the wrong dialect, etc.  I calmly replied that if it weren’t for Papa Gipper and 100,000 of his buddies we’d all be speaking German...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I think when up 35 points in the second half, offenses should be forced to go with 5 WR sets or minimum empty backfields.

Get that ball up the air!!!!  Fake downing the ball and fake victory formations!!!!! Lots of gadget plays!!!

image.png.6e9fb938d15a8256ea3d03f776cb869e.png

We need Coach Kreese at South Newton!!! Johnny Lawrence can start at QB and platoon (because they do those things at 1A schools) at Defensive Tackle.

53 minutes ago, Gipper said:

We need Coach Kreese at South Newton!!! Johnny Lawrence can start at QB and platoon (because they do those things at 1A schools) at Defensive Tackle.

He's mellowed out in his old age ...