Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

King of the North?

With Carmel taking  their juggernaut down south to Sectional 5, who's it going to be? 

Sectional 3 vs Sectional 4 looks to be a dandy. Snider, Homestead, Carroll & Warsaw vs Westfield, Fishers, Hamilton Southeastern, & Noblesville. It looks to me like every one of these teams could have their sights set on a regional title. 

Sectional 1 vs Sectional 2 has Merrillville & Layfayette Jeff going up against Penn and new mega-school Elkhart. Does Crown Point pose a threat to these four? The Bulldogs were 3 pts away from going 2-0 vs Merrillville last season. They were awfully close to an 11-2 record heading into a date with the Greyhounds. 

And last but not least, do ANY of these teams have enough firepower coming back to win state? I know it's a longshot.

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

44 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Folks aren't going to like my answer, but here goes:

Hamilton Southeastern

I'm sure you have your reasons. They were competitive against the state's better teams last year (Carmel, Avon, and Brownsburg). Not sure what happened in the Fishers game. If they have a decent amount of players returning, then your pick looks pretty valid.

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'm sure you have your reasons. They were competitive against the state's better teams last year (Carmel, Avon, and Brownsburg). Not sure what happened in the Fishers game. If they have a decent amount of players returning, then your pick looks pretty valid.

Yeah, plus the coaching change at Fishers gives me a wait and see attitude on the Tigers.  You know my stance on enrollment and SES and both of those schools fit the profile of future powerhouses.  Plus Carmel being out of the way may allow them to shine.

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

Yeah, plus the coaching change at Fishers gives me a wait and see attitude on the Tigers.  You know my stance on enrollment and SES and both of those schools fit the profile of future powerhouses.  Plus Carmel being out of the way may allow them to shine.

Allows for a more interesting tournament up north. But maybe a less interesting state finals. Hopefully the north is upping their game and the increased competition will better prepare them for the finals. I'm talking about the resurgence of the likes of Jeff, Warsaw, Carroll, Merrillville, and possibly Elkhart. 

Controversial opinion but does it really matter who gets the title "King of the North?"  It sorta seems like a JV title/participation trophy at this point, especially for 2020 as Carmel's move south makes things even more lopsided.

I know some folks will respond wishing I was more politically correct and may even sneak in another "Hoosiers" reference but the facts don't lie.

25 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Controversial opinion but does it really matter who gets the title "King of the North?"  It sorta seems like a JV title/participation trophy at this point, especially for 2020 as Carmel's move south makes things even more lopsided.

I know some folks will respond wishing I was more politically correct and may even sneak in another "Hoosiers" reference but the facts don't lie.

Hoosiers reference?

#IaintNOgizzard

5 hours ago, Temptation said:

Probably not. There will be some great games up north between Penn, Snider, Homestead, Merrillville, Layfayette Jeff, Crown Point, Warsaw, Carroll and new mega school Elkhart. But at the end of the day, the true "king" is enrollment. Carmel, Warren Central, and Ben Davis have won 15 of the last 19 state championships and more than likely will win again in 2020. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Probably not. There will be some great games up north between Penn, Snider, Homestead, Merrillville, Layfayette Jeff, Crown Point, Warsaw, Carroll and new mega school Elkhart. But at the end of the day, the true "king" is enrollment. Carmel, Warren Central, and Ben Davis have won 15 of the last 19 state championships and more than likely will win again in 2020. 

Center Grove will be the favorite in 2020.

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Center Grove will be the favorite in 2020.

Good for them. Maybe they can make it 5 of 20 for anyone not named Carmel, Ben Davis, or Warren Central. 

Back to what this discussion was originally about. I see the north as a crap shoot this year. I feel like there are 7 or 8 teams who are pretty darn good vs they typical 2-4 teams most years. Maybe that increase in competition will make the north better overall (or maybe I'm seeing things through "rose colored glasses"). Contrary to what some believe on here, by and large, better competition breeds better football teams. Take note, I did say "by and large." I think most on here know what that means. You have the occasional Penn team (mostly in the 90's and 2000's that blitzes through a non-competitive schedule and carries their way to state on good coaching and talent alone. But at the end of the day, better competition benefits most football programs. The HCC wouldn't be where it is today without the MIC pushing them to make them better. I can remember a time (not long ago actually) when sectional 3 vs sectional 4 was an absolute blood bath in favor of the north. Over time, as the MIC strengthened and became more than a 3 team conference, the increased competition made the HCC what it is today. Maybe increased competition up north will give the us a better opportunity to compete with the MIC in the state championship...................and maybe it won't. Let's see what happens. Looking forward to 2020!

As for King of the North? I came up with that title mainly because there's now an opportunity for someone not named Carmel who can take the crown without having to play a school twice their enrollment. And it will make for a more interesting tournament up here even if it's at the expense of a less interesting state championship. But hey, who knows. The North has come through in the past and will again in the future. Will it be 2020? 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:19 AM, BTF said:

With Carmel taking  their juggernaut down south to Sectional 5, who's it going to be? 

Sectional 3 vs Sectional 4 looks to be a dandy. Snider, Homestead, Carroll & Warsaw vs Westfield, Fishers, Hamilton Southeastern, & Noblesville. It looks to me like every one of these teams could have their sights set on a regional title. 

Sectional 1 vs Sectional 2 has Merrillville & Layfayette Jeff going up against Penn and new mega-school Elkhart. Does Crown Point pose a threat to these four? The Bulldogs were 3 pts away from going 2-0 vs Merrillville last season. They were awfully close to an 11-2 record heading into a date with the Greyhounds. 

And last but not least, do ANY of these teams have enough firepower coming back to win state? I know it's a longshot.

Does Lake Central still play varsity football or did they contract?

805950564_Screenshot2020-01-12at8_40.02PM-Edited.png.85fa0c47ea44a2940249b27963ff519e.png

North wil have a new  sectional 4 winner alright.  I am incredibly bias here but think Westfield's program does it right.

Since we are talking future I wonder if we will see seeding come about this decade? Who will change conferences? Will another class be added?  Kickoff changed to perhaps the XFL version? 

image.png