Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2020

5 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

My pre-season ranking. Just wanted to talk about something other than Covid.

1)Central studs all around

2)Castle the defense should be best in SIAC

3) Memorial young but experienced winners 

4)Jasper laid a foundation last year

5) MD young but always well coached 

6) North big loss in Senior class, will be hard to replace

7) Bosse New Coach should be able to improve 

8)Reitz still a year away

9) Harrison young, new coach ..team on the rise

10) Vincennes Lost leading rusher. May take a year to complete with SIAC

11) Boonville ohhh wait they were scared to join...so never mind 

Predicting back to back losing seasons for the Panthers?

Wouldn't be shocked if Vincennes finishes closer to the middle of the pack, I know little about their team but I know they have a lot of community pride! Now I know you can't really go off scores, especially from the previous season but just for fun... They beat Bosse by three scores last year, Bosse played Memorial, Reitz,  North closer and beat Harrison. Vincennes plays Memorial, Reitz, North and Harrison all at home this year. Coach Salters has never coached in the SIAC but he has won 8 or more games in all of his first three seasons. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Predicting back to back losing seasons for the Panthers?

I would be shocked if that were the case. I could see Reitz finishing in the top 5. They have a handful of great athletes returning who could definitely thrive in Brunson's offense. Question for them will probably be the line.

28 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

I would be shocked if that were the case. I could see Reitz finishing in the top 5. They have a handful of great athletes returning who could definitely thrive in Brunson's offense. Question for them will probably be the line.

Completely agree, they will have the athletes to compete at a very high level in the SIAC. Coach Brunson will put those athletes in position to make plays but can Big Dad get his O-line to become a staple of success again for the Panthers. I will be shocked if Reitz isn't top 3 or 4 by seasons end. 

I could see all 10 teams between 7-2 and 2-7. Some questions I wonder that I hope I get to see answered.

1. McKinney, Combs, and Schutte are all gone. Who are the next crop of names to lead the conference?

2. Will one of the new coaches add 3 or more wins to last year’s record? 

3. How will Jasper and Vincennes adjust to the no off-week grind of the SIAC? (As Cappy pointed out, 1 win Bosse played a lot of close games.) 

4. What factor will luck play in the standings? (injuries and the 900 lb. gorilla of a possible quarantine)

So what I'm hearing...  a talented Bosse LB transferred to Central...  Bosse's junior QB was coming to Memorial but is obviously back at Bosse as he's the focus of their Courier pre-view article...  Memorial picked up a nice RB/LB who will be a very nice addition.  I challenge any of you to beat the summer beard of Memorial QB Colton Pence...  Photo from Evansville Courier.  

IMG_0730.jpg

Edited by tango

UNOFFICIAL CALPREPS STANDINGS 

1. Memorial(9-0) 

2. Central(7-2) 

3.Castle(7-2) 

4. Jasper(5-4) 

5. North(4-5) 

6. Mater Dei(4-5) 

7. Lincoln(4-5) 

8. Reitz(3-6)  

9. Bosse(1-8) 

10. Harrison( 0-9) 

Now, there are some records where I would have to disagree but here is my preseason prediction: 

1. Central, a lot of good players on the team, they will compete for the SIAC

2. Memorial, like Central, they still have a strong group, though young  

3. Castle, will have major improvements, definitely an competitor  

4. Jasper, solid team every year  

5. Mater Dei, lost a lot of strong seniors, but don't count them out  

6. North, I can see them having an winning season this year, but is still far from being competitors  

7. Reitz, New Coach, it will take some time, he did very well at Mt. Vernon  

8. Lincoln, usual a solid team, but lost there best RB 

9.  Bosse, New Coach, I can see them winning more games in the future  

10. Harrison, Their Coach can make something special there, but it may took some time 

SIAC champion: I would say maybe an 2 way tie or 3 way tie this year, unsure on what teams will win it

For my team, I think Memorial could have another surprise team in my opinion. We are young, but we have a strong group of juniors that can lead the way along with the our small group of seniors. Last year I did not expect us to win state, especially 4A, and was hopping to make it to regionals or the sectional championship. But I do think we can be in the sectional championship this year, though it will be difficult. This will be an building year, but there is potential to have another good season unless we do not have football.  

Edited by TigerFan20

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

1. McKinney, Combs, and Schutte are all gone. Who are the next crop of names to lead the conference?

Impact players for each team. Might've forgot some or don't know some, this was just on the spot first names that came to my mind. Feel free to add some.

Reitz - Brickey, Joy, Burns, Brown

Central - Evans, Boberg, Leach

Castle - Tilly, Butler, Allen, Pritchard

North - Brawdy, Presswood, Sales

Bosse - Madison, Behme, Tyler

Memorial - Pence, Russell, Quick, Norman

Mater Dei - Money

Harrison - Hooks

Vincennes - Pfoff/Vickers, Brown, Hardiman

Jasper - Mann, Dawkins

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

7. Reitz, New Coach, it will take some time, he did very well at Mt. Vernon 

I would add that he did pretty well at Harrison but to your point it was year three before they won a sectional. Is Reitz closer to competing than Harrison was when he took over? Does Reitz have the athletes that he was able to get out at Harrison? 

5 minutes ago, Cappy said:

I would add that he did pretty well at Harrison but to your point it was year three before they won a sectional. Is Reitz closer to competing than Harrison was when he took over? Does Reitz have the athletes that he was able to get out at Harrison? 

I think he could bring back Reitz to an annual top 5 in the SIAC, I heard Reitz had decent cubs team too, but I think he is a lot closer than Harrison. Speaking of Harrison, I did not know he was the head coach of their 10 win season back in 2015 and their 7 win in 2016. But, yes, he has potential to do well in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Impact players for each team. Might've forgot some or don't know some, this was just on the spot first names that came to my mind. Feel free to add some.

Reitz - Brickey, Joy, Burns, Brown

Central - Evans, Boberg, Leach

Castle - Tilly, Butler, Allen, Pritchard

North - Brawdy, Presswood, Sales

Bosse - Madison, Behme, Tyler

Memorial - Pence, Russell, Quick, Norman

Mater Dei - Money

Harrison - Hooks

Vincennes - Pfoff/Vickers, Brown, Hardiman

Jasper - Mann, Dawkins

For Memorial- Agler(Jr), Weinzapfel(Soph.), Diaz(Jr.), Vaughn(Sr.) too name a few from my head 

Vincennes got a transfer in from Illinois who is the best skill position player on the team and probably the best player on the team that isn't a big guy. Vincennes is getting an upgrade.

5 hours ago, Cappy said:

His team that won a sectional was made up of a lot of players who transferred from North, Bosse and Memorial.  Before that it was 4 wins in 2 years and 2 were against West Vigo.  It wasn’t as if he grew the program organically or pulled a bunch of kids from the hallways.  Reitz has more kids that care about tradition and football than Harrison.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tango said:

His team that won a sectional was made up of a lot of players who transferred from North, Bosse and Memorial.  Before that it was 4 wins in 2 years and 2 were against West Vigo.  It wasn’t as if he grew the program organically or pulled a bunch of kids from the hallways.  Reitz has more kids that care about tradition and football than Harrison.

I want to make sure this post isn't perceived to be a slight against Coach Brunson.  It wasn't.  I don't know this, but I suspect part of the reason he left Harrison for Mt. Vernon after back-to-back winning seasons was the stark reality of the situation at Harrison.  It just isn't the same school it was in the 1980s and 1990s, when the Warriors competed for SIAC championships in a lot of sports.  You take out the 17 wins Harrison had in 2015 & 2016 and there only about 20 wins over a 15 year span.  It will take a monumental effort and a very patient & dedicated coach to rebuild that program.      

Madison moving from Bosse to Central is big.  He and Boberg will create problems for opponents.     

• Like 1

And on the topic of intra-EVSC transfers...  It's another factor that makes the rebuilds at Harrison and Bosse such a challenge.  If a great player wants to get away from a struggling program and move to a more successful one, he will find a way.  

2 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

I’m just happy they are practicing. 

Agreed.

In the last 24 hours I have received emails or FB notifications from Pocket City, East baseball, and Evansville Youth Soccer asking if I want to sign my kids up. 

If IHSAA sports end up not working out, looks like there will be plenty of pay to play options for EVSC kids. 

• Like 1