Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Modern Football

An elite offense and a defense with a pulse is what it takes to win a championship in modern football...

“Defense wins championships” is the most outdated idiom in professional sports.

Look at what the Chiefs are doing...

Look at who’s playing for the national championship tomorrow night...

Stop me when I start lying...

15 hours ago, Temptation said:

An elite offense and a defense with a pulse is what it takes to win a championship in modern football...

“Defense wins championships” is the most outdated idiom in professional sports.

Look at what the Chiefs are doing...

Look at who’s playing for the national championship tomorrow night...

Stop me when I start lying...

Not sure you're lying, but I think you're wrong.  The score of last year's super bowl was 13-3.  The "elite" offense couldn't muster a touchdown.  I'm confident in saying that defense won that championship.

6 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I know you are being sarcastic, but.....

49ers averaged 32 points/game in the playoffs up to the Super Bowl.  They ran the ball down the throat of the Packers.  KC held them to 20 points.

Give the Chiefs D some credit....their O didn't do it all.  Without stops, the O doesn't get the ball and explode for 21 4th quarter points...........

You can only hold an elite offense down for so long these days and as long as the Chiefs kept it close into the fourth quarter anyone could’ve seen that coming...

Nearly every rule in modern football gives the advantage to the offense...

George Kittle may disagree however...

The 49ers stopped themselves in that fourth quarter more so than the Chiefs stopped them.

The two consecutive throws after gaining 5 yards on a 1st down run to stop the clock and punt it back was foreshadowing.

The deep overthrow from Garrapolo was the signature moment that could’ve iced it.

Edited by Guest

I didn't mind San Fran throwing the ball on 2nd and 5. They had Kittle matched up on Suggs and he was wide open for at least a 15 yard gain if the ball isn't tipped at the line (Great play by Jones). That being said, on 3rd and 5 I am either running the ball or making darn sure the ball is not thrown incomplete--even taking a sack would be better than what happened. Shanahan got plenty of guys open in the 4th quarter, but the plays weren't made. You can't bash him as a coach for blowing this lead the same way he blew the 28-3 lead in Atlanta--one game he ran the ball too much, one game he threw the ball too much. Can't have it both ways. 

I thought the surprising difference in the game was KC's ability to run the ball and also get the ball on the perimeter to wear out the pass rush. The 49er front 4 was dead those last 10 minutes, despite how much they dominated the first 3 quarters they didn't have the ability to factor in as much in winning time.

Believe it was Walsh who said the single biggest factor for winning in the NFL is 4th quarter pass rush...49ers didn't have it and Chiefs did.