Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HOF Coach, Set to Retire: Congrats Coach Scott Mannering

http://www.newsbug.info/monticello_herald_journal/sports/twin-lakes-indians-head-football-coach-scott-mannering-retires/article_dbf6ff2e-4656-57ab-ab7f-0f7647afb929.html

At tonight's School board meeting, it will be finalized that Coach Scott Mannering will head off into the sunset into retirement.   

Coach was a great addition to the Hoosier Conference and I will miss preparing or his teams greatly, but for what he did on the field, he was such a kind, giving mentor off the field for so many coaches that played for him at Cass, coached for him at Cass/Twin Lakes and is what this profession is all about.   

Cheers to you Coach Mannering.  

• Like 2

Coach Scott Mannering will always be one of the best to coach high school football in the state of Indiana. Not only the decisions he made on Friday nights, but all the intangible things he did for his players & coaches both in-season & out. I am truly blessed to have had the opportunity to be part of your coaching staff for a few years at Lewis Cass. Coach Mannering, you will sure be missed on the Friday night sidelines.

• Like 4

I don't think words can do justice what it mean't to play for him. I know personally I owe an awful lot to him. I read in today's Kokomo Tribune that from 2003 to 2008 his record was 67-10 during that time and I truly believe that you can credit a lot of that to him being a "player coach" so of our teams then were not the most athletic , or biggest teams but we would run through a brick wall for Coach Mannering. I wish he would have gotten his title that he deserves. I will always be proud to be a King and that stems from the pride he took in Lewis Cass. I hope retirement from the game treats him well.

• Like 5

It has been a blessing to have worked for Scott these last 4 years at TL.  What he has brought to Cass, Twin Lakes, and Indiana high school football will be remembered by all who played and coached for him.  We have become great friends in the 4 years he has been here and I will miss working with him.  Scott,  may you be blessed for what you have brought to all of us!!!

• Like 2

I have been on opposite sideline from Scott since 1991- we had a lot of great games and I truly loved playing his teams. They were always extremely well prepared, played their tails off, and always played with class.  I will sure miss him on the field, but will miss him a lot more off of it.  this is a huge loss to Indiana football but I sure understand the time comes for all.  I wish him and his family all the best in his retirement, and I won't miss trying to defend the buck sweep 25 times in 48 minutes, Good luck coach, you're as good as there has ever been in this profession. 

• Like 1

Watching Mannering's Cass teams was always a treat. They were always well coached and they ran the Wing-T like a well oiled machine. Mannering liked to use a committee of backs, opposed to a workhorse or two. It was not uncommon in the box score to see that 10 or more players carried the ball. 

I would have to agree that words really can't do justice. This man instilled so many qualities into my life and all of those qualities helped mold me into the man I am today. it was an absolute honor to play for this man on and off the field and I have so much respect for him and his family. 

The X's and O's are just a small portion in what you get with Coach Mannering. At the time of playing for him you think all you talk about is football, but looking back at it now, the structure I lead in life, the work ethic I live by, it all comes from one thing and that is the Lewis Cass Football Program. I am so blessed that he built that program. I thought back then he was just making me a better athlete, which he was, but all in all that was just a tiny detail. These traits he imprinted onto me in my young age are the reasons for success in my everyday life. He is one reason I hold my head high in times of defeat. He is one reason I don't quit. He is one reason I remain loyal to everything I believe in and do. He is one Reason I present myself Proper. That program really worked on me without me even realizing.

When a Coach can have that kind of affect on someone without even trying, you know that it comes natural and it says a lot about someones character. He isn't just a good coach he is a fantastic mentor at school and in the community. He never really had to preach on what we needed to be like or how we needed to act. He just had an expectation. When you can get through to kids without beating something into their head or without even bringing the topic up you have something special. He is a hell of a man. He is a hell of a coach. He is a Hell of a role model.

With all that being said I hope Coach enjoys his Retirement it is well deserved. I speak on behalf of all players from Lewis Cass who were fortunate enough to play for you. Thank you for all you have done and we all cherish every second that we had as a King! We wish you the best.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheWaterBoii said:

I would have to agree that words really can't do justice. This man instilled so many qualities into my life and all of those qualities helped mold me into the man I am today. it was an absolute honor to play for this man on and off the field and I have so much respect for him and his family. 

The X's and O's are just a small portion in what you get with Coach Mannering. At the time of playing for him you think all you talk about is football, but looking back at it now, the structure I lead in life, the work ethic I live by, it all comes from one thing and that is the Lewis Cass Football Program. I am so blessed that he built that program. I thought back then he was just making me a better athlete, which he was, but all in all that was just a tiny detail. These traits he imprinted onto me in my young age are the reasons for success in my everyday life. He is one reason I hold my head high in times of defeat. He is one reason I don't quit. He is one reason I remain loyal to everything I believe in and do. He is one Reason I present myself Proper. That program really worked on me without me even realizing.

When a Coach can have that kind of affect on someone without even trying, you know that it comes natural and it says a lot about someones character. He isn't just a good coach he is a fantastic mentor at school and in the community. He never really had to preach on what we needed to be like or how we needed to act. He just had an expectation. When you can get through to kids without beating something into their head or without even bringing the topic up you have something special. He is a hell of a man. He is a hell of a coach. He is a Hell of a role model.

With all that being said I hope Coach enjoys his Retirement it is well deserved. I speak on behalf of all players from Lewis Cass who were fortunate enough to play for you. Thank you for all you have done and we all cherish every second that we had as a King! We wish you the best.

Well said... Does anyone else read through this topic and feel like we are honoring someone who has just passed away? Lol  It is really awesome to see confirmation into what Cass alumni already know to be true.

• Like 1