Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Amtrak's big lie

Muda69

32 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

And there’s the kicker... Amtrak is not a business.

Semantics, it’s a privately owned entity with government subsidies. It has a long and storied history of mismanagement, bleeding cash, and an increasing dependence on the taxpayers. Who do I talk to about getting subsidies for my business?

31 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Semantics, it’s a privately owned entity with government subsidies. It has a long and storied history of mismanagement, bleeding cash, and an increasing dependence on the taxpayers. Who do I talk to about getting subsidies for my business?

It’s the Postal Service on rails.

Amtrak is the poster child for all that is wrong with government intervention into free markets. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak

Founded in 1971 as a quasi-public corporation to operate many U.S. passenger rail services,[1][2][3] it receives a combination of state and federal subsidies but is managed as a for-profit organization.[4] Amtrak's headquarters is located one block west of Union Station in Washington, D.C.[5]

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

It’s the Postal Service on rails.

Another 19th Century relic that has probably outlived it's usefulness. Of course I still have customers who hand write checks and use a Paymaster, so I guess the taxpayers will continue to dump money down that bottomless pit as well. 

• Like 1