Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA commissioner Bobby Cox retires

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/01/16/ihsaa-commissioner-bobby-cox-resigns/4490470002/

After nine years as the commissioner of the Indiana High School Athletic Association, Bobby Cox tendered his retirement on Thursday.

Cox shared his decision in a letter to friends on Thursday afternoon, writing:

“Today, I tendered my letter of retirement to the Indiana High School Athletic Association. Prior to the release of the announcement to the general public, I wanted to share my communications with you, my valued and treasured friends and colleagues. Our successes are a direct result of your unwavering support of our Association and to me personally. I will forever be indebted to you and your kindness.

“Kathy and I look forward to many days of travel and good times spent with all of you. Whether in Northern Indiana or Southwest Florida, you are always welcome.”

Cox took over the role as commissioner in 2011 after serving as an assistant commissioner since 2000 following the retirement of Blake Ress. Cox had previously served 21 years as a teacher, coach and athletic administrator in the Carmel Clay Schools. Cox was a 1975 graduate of Carmel received his college degrees from Butler.

If only Mr. Cox had had the courage to institute a true football multiplier maybe he would actually be remembered as doing something.................

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 2

6 hours ago, Temptation said:

Here’s your chance DT....

Enjoying the lovely January weather in Indian Harbor Beach, FL

Bobby's legacy will be the implementation of The Success Factor, which is now being copied by other states throughout the country

While we fell short of our ultimate goal in the form of a true multiplier, the SF has clearly evened the playing field and put the brakes on runaway private school domination of the post season football tournament

Best of luck to Commissioner Cox in his retirement

The IHSAA has a "next in line" promotional philosophy, so look for one of the asst commissioners to be elevated to the top job

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Should we be getting ready to greet our first female commissioner of the IHSAA?

I think Faulkens or Neidig are the front runners honestly.

8 hours ago, DT said:

Bobby's legacy will be the implementation of The Success Factor, which is now being copied by other states throughout the country

While we fell short of our ultimate goal in the form of a true multiplier, the SF has clearly evened the playing field and put the brakes on runaway private school domination of the post season football tournament

The IHSAA has a "next in line" promotional philosophy, so look for one of the asst commissioners to be elevated to the top job

I'd argue that the SF only justified public school recruiting as it sends a message of "See what we have to overcome?"  

It cannot be a coincidence that the number of transfer cases and recruiting "stories" have increased as the SF became a thing.

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

It cannot be a coincidence that the number of transfer cases and recruiting "stories" have increased as the SF became a thing.

You sure the open enrollment laws for government schools have had nothing to do with the increase in transfer cases?

• Disdain 1

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

You sure the open enrollment laws for government schools have had nothing to do with the increase in transfer cases?

Solid attempt to put words in my mouth, yet again...

Nowhere did I say that the "ONLY" reasoning for the increase in transfer cases was due to the SF...

Reading comprehension is hard, I get it.

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Solid attempt to put words in my mouth, yet again...

Nowhere did I say that the "ONLY" reasoning for the increase in transfer cases was due to the SF...

Reading comprehension is hard, I get it.

Lighten up, Francis. It was a question, not an attempt to put words in your mouth.

One could easily say your reading comprehension could use some improvement as well, friend.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

16 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I personally would love that, but I doubt it. 

History says it's Faulkens, I tend to agree with Bob, good chance the IHSAA has it's first female commissioner. 

Oh, I wasn’t predicting that. I just think this is the first time it’s a realistic possibility.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DT said:

Commissioner Cox told Network Indiana that he was most proud of establishing Unified sports teams that allows students with disabilities to compete in high school athletics.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Tommy said:

Commissioner Cox told Network Indiana that he was most proud of establishing Unified sports teams that allows students with disabilities to compete in high school athletics.

I’m so happy with that.  Football is very important, we all know that, but this whole sports dynamic is for the kids and not us. Sure, it’s fun to draw up maps and postulate scenarios that border on the insane, but it’s really about making them better people through sport.

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 2:19 PM, Tommy said:

Spoke with him on the sidelines at a Unified football game between Warsaw, Wawasee, Tippecanoe Valley and Goshen a year or two ago. He was happy to be there watching and the pride was apparent in his face while watching the unified athletes compete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's always been good to me personally and professionally. He did also award me the IHSAA Distinguished Media Award for District 2 a few years back. That was something that totally caught me by surprise as I totally did not expect it. Totally humbled and appreciative of that honor.

I haven't always agreed with his decisions, but I think he has done much for high school sports in Indiana. I think that the IHSAA Champions Network will be part of his legacy as well as the Champions Together program. 

I wish him well.

I hope the next Commissioner brings some new ideas, though. I hope specifically that this individual takes a good look at the State Tournament Series in each sport and listens to good ideas from around the state on how to improve each one.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...