Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Offers #RecruitIndiana

4 hours ago, DT said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Vinny-Fiacable-46095045/

Does Fiacable have the frame to put on additional 15 to 25lbs.

Just a two star player.

Given Allen's demonstrated improvement in recruiting, should IU be bringing in 2 star players?

Everyone signs 2 star players.  You just want to sign more 3, 4, and 5 stars players.

50 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

Everyone signs 2 star players.  You just want to sign more 3, 4, and 5 stars players.

Indiana was recruiting against Ball State, Eastern Michigan and Columbia College for this player.  That sounds like the "old" IU.  

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

As Btown coach just stated, I guess you missed the word Louisville as you read his 247 profile.

Lots of Ivy League offers....not a bad thing he's a smart guy

His Dad and brothers played football for IU.  Allen is also trying to build a stronger culture at IU.  He doesn't make these decisions alone.  The OL coach must have been sold. 

Lets not pretend that Louisville is Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc.  The program has slipped, and is on par with IU.  

This is the type of player who generally would thrive in The MAC and struggle mightily to ever see the field in The Big Ten.

Lets hold this improving IU program to a higher standard.  We should NOT be recruiting against Eastern Michigan and Ball State for talent, instate or out of state.  If PWO status was good enough for two star Spiegel, why not for two star Fiacable?

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Sounds like if Allen hires you, problem solved.....

You tell me the difference between a 2 star and a 3 star.

If he ends up being a starter, will you come back here and eat your words?

BTW, a lot of MAC players are in the NFL.....

Why take the risk?

There is a huge difference between 2 star and 3 star players.

Look at the composite roster rankings https://247sports.com/season/2019-football/collegeteamtalentcomposite/

2 star players are not even included in the composite.  Their contributions at the major college football level are infinitesimal.  Why invest there when there are other 3 stars still available?  Allen is recruiting more nationally.  Sure he can find a 3 star in the southeast somewhere.  

Look at IUs composite.  71 three star players, 4 four stars, zero five stars.  On a roster of 85, that leaves 1o players who are either 2 star or walkon.  The goal for Allen is to reduce the two stars to ZERO and build the four star listing, which he is doing.  BTW, we are way behind on 4 stars.  Look at KY.   They have 15.  

Edited by DT

58 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I can only assume he took the risk (if one assumes its a risk) because they had done their homework.  I trust that he believes in his Oline coach to assess potential.  I don't know his history...could he have had injuries, etc that limited his ability to have been seen at camps, etc.?  I don't know.  I am just not ready to say Allen and his staff made a mistake.  We will have to see if the young man becomes a steady contributor in the years ahead.  Allen knows how to recruit...I can only surmise that they felt offering the young man would make their team better.  

Would I prefer 3, 4 and 5 stars?  Sure.  But that doesn't mean that there can be other excellent players that simply needed a chance to shine.

BTW, it isn't like 3, 4 and 5 stars are risk free.....on and off the field.

There's an analyst that's already said VF will move up.  I have no idea why someone would debate "stars". 

Micah McFadden was a 2 star and he's an absolute stud.  

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

There's an analyst that's already said VF will move up.  I have no idea why someone would debate "stars". 

Micah McFadden was a 2 star and he's an absolute stud.  

Stars mean everything in the world of recruiting.

Id like to see Indiana stock their OL room with mostly 4 star linemen.  A few 3 star needed for depth.

2 stars should not be considered    They are two star for a reason.

Too short

Too slow

Too fat

Not smart enough

Short arms

Small hands

Small feet

Poor lifting numbers

Poor HS competition.

There are a myriad of reasons  The recruiting experts do this full time and know their business.  

IU will be better off in the long run to raise its internal standards.  This is likely Allen showing some extra consideration to an in state kid.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Stars mean everything in the world of recruiting.

Id like to see Indiana stock their OL room with mostly 4 star linemen.  A few 3 star needed for depth.

2 stars should not be considered    They are two star for a reason.

Too short

Too slow

Too fat

Not smart enough

Short arms

Small hands

Small feet

Poor lifting numbers

Poor HS competition.

There are a myriad of reasons  The recruiting experts do this full time and know their business.  

IU will be better off in the long run to raise its internal standards.  This is likely Allen showing some extra consideration to an in state kid.

No this is likely a recruiting service not doing its job, correctly. 

You cannot honestly believe recruiting, especially with rankings, are all that good at all. 

Feeney was ranked 980th in his class. 

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach said:

No this is likely a recruiting service not doing its job, correctly. 

You cannot honestly believe recruiting, especially with rankings, are all that good at all. 

Feeney was ranked 980th in his class. 

You will always have outlyers.  Its the nature of the game.  You will also find that the recruiting rankings align almost perfectly with the college team power rankings.  

I truly cannot understand how this can still be disputed and debated.  Nothing could be more obvious.

15 minutes ago, DT said:

You will always have outlyers.  Its the nature of the game.  You will also find that the recruiting rankings align almost perfectly with the college team power rankings.  

I truly cannot understand how this can still be disputed and debated.  Nothing could be more obvious.

And if Indiana found an outlier? Even though he'll be a 3star soon..

On 4/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, DT said:

Indiana was recruiting against Ball State, Eastern Michigan and Columbia College for this player.  That sounds like the "old" IU.  

I am a dyed in the wool Boilermaker, so if IU never wins another game, GREAT!  However, if you will remember back to the Bill Mallory days, he recruited many players that were not necessarily "Blue Chip" type guys because they were from Indiana and CARE tremendously how successful the team is.  Culture builders, and guys that improve the program because of their vested interest!

I’m not sure if it’s been stated as I skimmed this...but while stars are important....location of a prospect in comparison to the stars is also important....many scouts are in the hotbed locations of Texas and Florida....so when you see someone as a 2 star in those areas it’s likely fairly accurate.  Numerous scouts have likely reviewed that prospect....especially at bread and butter schools like IMG in Florida or bishop norman in Vegas. 

when it comes to prospects in Indiana though. Sometimes it takes a while for the scouts to take notice...often they have to travel to combines to extend the reach.....prime example....Joe Strickland (2022 de) out of Brebeuf had a 4 stars all of 2019. Brady Allen just this last week was recognized as a 4 star by rivals and is listed in the top 100. 

has anything changed? Probably not. Both are great kids and phenomenal athletes. One is just in Indianapolis and the other is in the pocket of Indiana way out of the way 

so...for many of prospects in this state.....there likely isn’t a difference between 2 and 3, 3 and 4, and possibly even 4 to 5.  It’s a matter of exposure and how many scouts actually got to take a look. 

for schools like ball state, Indiana, Purdue stars matter to an extent but stars are misleading when they are recruiting in state 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

Class of 2021 Hobarts Zach Vode picks up another offer yesterday from Army. That adds to his list of Miami of Ohio, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, NIU, Ball State, Bowling green, and Illinois State. Him along with fellow Hobart Class of 2021 Bobby Babcock (Ohio, Eastern Mich, Central Mich, Illinois State) have been getting lot of interest this off season. I saw them play last year a little and they and the Bricks could make some noise this year.. Congrats to those 2

3 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Class of 2021 Hobarts Zach Vode picks up another offer yesterday from Army. That adds to his list of Miami of Ohio, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, NIU, Ball State, Bowling green, and Illinois State. Him along with fellow Hobart Class of 2021 Bobby Babcock (Ohio, Eastern Mich, Central Mich, Illinois State) have been getting lot of interest this off season. I saw them play last year a little and they and the Bricks could make some noise this year.. Congrats to those 2

3 hours ago, QB said:

Zionsville's Joey Tanona added Kansas State and Arizona State in the past week or so. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Joey-Tanona-130179/RecruitInterests/

3 hours ago, QB said:

Zionsville's Joey Tanona added Kansas State and Arizona State in the past week or so. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Joey-Tanona-130179/RecruitInterests/

Hoosiers need to aim for the ceiling on Tanona and Center Groves Caden Curry, the top offensive and defensive linemen in the state Class of 22.

Will be watching this one closely to see if Allen can close these two blue chippers.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Edited by DT

3 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Babcock STUD 

On 4/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, TrojanDad said:

Sounds like if Allen hires you, problem solved.....

You tell me the difference between a 2 star and a 3 star.

If he ends up being a starter, will you come back here and eat your words?

BTW, a lot of MAC players are in the NFL.....

In some cases, not sure what the percent is, but the "star" rating will adjust after/during senior season. He may be a 3 star when all is said and done. These ratings are mostly useless, seen many 4-5 stars flame out and many 2-3 stars excel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Just read IU’s 2021 class is now ranked as #22 by Rivals. 

Impressive but still an impossible climb to the top of the B10 East.  Such imbalance right now.

They could compete with Iowa and Wisconsin every few years but no way will they ever climb the OSU, Michigan, PSU hill.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Impressive but still an impossible climb to the top of the B10 East.  Such imbalance right now.

They could compete with Iowa and Wisconsin every few years but no way will they ever climb the OSU, Michigan, PSU hill.

Many schools have pulled back on recruiting due to CV, hence the rankings at this point in time are not reflective of what they will be at the end of the cycle.  IU likely has more players committed than other programs, giving them a higher ranking.  The Hoosiers ranking however is more based on qty than quality.  Anytime IU can break into the Top 40 in recruiting should be considered a HUGE win by Allen and his staff.  IU historically has ranked in the mid 50s 

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Many schools have pulled back on recruiting due to CV, hence the rankings at this point in time are not reflective of what they will be at the end of the cycle.  IU likely has more players committed than other programs, giving them a higher ranking.  The Hoosiers ranking however is more based on qty than quality.  Anytime IU can break into the Top 40 in recruiting should be considered a HUGE win by Allen and his staff.  IU historically has ranked in the mid 50s 

Oh, I agree completely.  But my point still stands.

Is IU a football school yet?

2 hours ago, DT said:

Of the 22 schools ahead of Indiana... 

Only one school has less kids committed, 3 schools have the same amount, the 18 other schools have more players committed. 

So no... not quantity, its quality. 

• Like 1