Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Individual discipline versus group discipline

Due to the wealth of football coaching experience and knowledge present here on the GID I thought this may be a good topic for discussion.

A question came to me while of all things listening to a podcast reviewing a reality series about competitive cheerleading.  In this reality series the adult coach/manager of the cheer team had a 'policy' that if during practice some level of mistake was made by an individual team member then the entire squad had to stop and do a certain number of push-ups.    The reason for this given by the coach/manager was along the lines of "it's a team activity, if one fails then they all fail.  If one should be punished then they all should be punished".

Is this type of 'group discipline'  approach also favored by football coaches here in Indiana?  If say during practice while running offensive plays the running back fumbles the ball before being hit by the defense or a receiver drops an easy pass is the entire offense punished in some way (wind sprints,    push-ups, etc.)?    Or on a defensive side of the ball say a linebacker during a tackle grabs the runner/receivers face mask, which in a game would result in a penalty.  Is the entire defense punished?

Just curious as to how coaches approach this, and is it applied differently for different levels of the game.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

Fumbles we will send the guilty party to do 10 pushups, or short jog to the baseball field, which is about 200 yards away or so.   Dropped pass in practice 10 pushups.   

Jump off sides we typically give a verbal warning, happens again during team offense session, then offense will do some Up Downs. 

Team Sled however, different story:  If the team doesn't all clap, if one of the bags is unmanned, when they run up to the drill, or if anyone jumps off side will be team up downs.    

If the player rolls the wrong way exiting the 5 man sled or "holds" the bag, they will have to do 10 up downs to the side individually.   

we believe in team sled for 2 purposes, pad levels but mostly for team discipline, we rely on discipline to run our system and this is vital part of it.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Fumbles we will send the guilty party to do 10 pushups, or short jog to the baseball field, which is about 200 yards away or so.   Dropped pass in practice 10 pushups.   

Jump off sides we typically give a verbal warning, happens again during team offense session, then offense will do some Up Downs. 

Team Sled however, different story:  If the team doesn't all clap, if one of the bags is unmanned, when they run up to the drill, or if anyone jumps off side will be team up downs.    

If the player rolls the wrong way exiting the 5 man sled or "holds" the bag, they will have to do 10 up downs to the side individually.   

we believe in team sled for 2 purposes, pad levels but mostly for team discipline, we rely on discipline to run our system and this is vital part of it.  

Agree with this coach.  Certain situations or circumstances dictate whether it is individual or team disciplinary action.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

I know that I am not the only one in here that has spent time in the Armed Forces, but I can tell you that they have some interesting ways of getting something out of nothing with team and individual discipline. I for one think that team discipline is huge for sports like football, because it teaches players that they need to rely on the 10 other players on the field, or even those who are giving the first team looks in practice on Wednesday. In the military we stressed that no matter what job you have you are essential to the overall mission. In football no matter what role you have on the team you are essential to team success. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

I know that I am not the only one in here that has spent time in the Armed Forces, but I can tell you that they have some interesting ways of getting something out of nothing with team and individual discipline. I for one think that team discipline is huge for sports like football, because it teaches players that they need to rely on the 10 other players on the field, or even those who are giving the first team looks in practice on Wednesday. In the military we stressed that no matter what job you have you are essential to the overall mission. In football no matter what role you have on the team you are essential to team success. 

This is 100% fact and is very much devalued in today's society, which is disheartening.

2 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

At the youth level, we talk about that reliance too, but also about the fact that, especially in football, if you aren't doing your job, the chance that someone else gets hurt goes up dramatically. 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

At the youth level, we talk about that reliance too, but also about the fact that, especially in football, if you aren't doing your job, the chance that someone else gets hurt goes up dramatically. 

One of the Key reasons that I love this game so much.  It is so on topic for the game itself, but they are life lessons as well. Sure you don't see as much group discipline in the real world (unless its in a Team aspect like the military) but the lessons are there and if you can get them to buy in with that Team over Me mentality it will go a very long way in the future. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

One of the Key reasons that I love this game so much.  It is so on topic for the game itself, but they are life lessons as well. Sure you don't see as much group discipline in the real world (unless its in a Team aspect like the military) but the lessons are there and if you can get them to buy in with that Team over Me mentality it will go a very long way in the future. 

Hopefully homes ALL promote the "we" is greater than the "me" mentality.  Sadly, we know this is not the case, in most places.

The places that are successful, have majority homes promoting this mentality.

4 hours ago, southend said:

The, Me-Me-Me-Me aura 

Do you mean era?