Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli Job

20 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Perhaps this was a positive change for all parties........

Clearly it’s positive for Roncalli that Marsh is gone (given the circumstance) but to simply say that a positive change was made seems to imply that there was perhaps some “choice” about it either by the school or the coach.

I have some strong doubts that Roncalli ultimately had any choice as to making this “positive” change or that Marsh had much choice in future coaching in Indiana.   Or that this is over for Roncalli as regards the IHSAA (let alone any civil actions).

Edited by Lysander

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Never said this issue was put to bed. Never said it was “free will”.  But it’s a start.  

I think you are really stretching to insinuate my statement had anything to do with choice. 

Yeah...apologies, didn’t intend to jump on you and was concerned that I might be directing my frustration as to how Roncalli has handled this to your post.  I have a great deal of affection for Roncalli (truly do) but the more I learn, the more “frustrated” (my polite word choice) I become as to this whole thing.  It indirectly reflects badly on all the archdiocesan schools.....schools that I, personally, always wish the best for.

Upon first becoming aware of the incident, I was of a mind that this could have happened anywhere (at least the initial aspects of it) and that the way it was addressed could be attributed to well-intended bumbling....still, though.....bumbling.  The more I hear, both officially and unofficially, the more I have come to believe that certain aspects of the response were quite intentional, and in the case of how it was handled with the transferring school - intentional....and misleading to that school.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Is there still talent at Roncalli? 10-13 over the last two years has me wondering if the negatives outweigh the positives 

The opinion of many is that the talent is in the classes that will be Jr and So next year.  The QB (Jr) will be into his 3rd year starting.  Never played QB until 8th grade. 

I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here...but would this situation been handled differently had it been at a public school? I get the "swept under the rug" type of feeling ...and maybe that was for the best for all involved. Just asking

• Like 1

In cases like this, there is far more that goes into the situation that appears to ever be actually reported.  Sure it was shocking story, story that was explosive, no doubt, however, only side thus far that has been actually heard was from the initial report.  

Wish Roncalli well in their search 

1 hour ago, Knightmare said:

Is there still talent at Roncalli? 10-13 over the last two years has me wondering if the negatives outweigh the positives 

I, admittedly, don’t know the CYO talent like I did 10 years ago but I can’t imagine it has dried up on the South Side.  It certainly hasn’t in the North.

Roncalli is only 3 years out from a 2016 15-0 State Championship run.  Frankly, I feel like the 2017 group was even better (they certainly looked that way when I watched them) but they were bumped up to 5A and suffered a close loss to Cathedral in the first round of Sectional (huh....a Roncalli/Cathedral first round Sectional game......that never happens).

I’d guess the talent is still there.   I’m going to be honest, Chatard was pretty special this year, and admittedly Roncalli was down, but I really don’t think Chatard had 46 points more talent than Roncalli.  

I think that point differential had to do with another component of the game.

This is a great job.  I wish them well filling it.

Edited by Lysander

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Roncalli is only 3 years out from a 2016 15-0 State Championship run.  Frankly, I feel like the 2017 group was even better (they certainly looked that way when I watched them) but they were bumped up to 5A and suffered a close loss to Cathedral in the first round of Sectional (huh....a Roncalli/Cathedral first round Sectional game......that never happens).

If they were 3A, they'd be in Sectional 28. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

I, admittedly, don’t know the CYO talent like I did 10 years ago but I can’t imagine it has dried up on the South Side.  It certainly hasn’t in the North.

I’d guess the talent is still there.   I’m going to be honest, Chatard was pretty special this year, and admittedly Roncalli was down, but I really don’t think Chatard had 46 points more talent than Roncalli.  

This is a great job.  I wish them well filling it.

The CYO talent is why they think the talent is in the soon to be Jr (Roncalli schools won 2 out of three division playoffs) and soon to be Sophmores (St Jude won big school CYO division).   

On 1/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, superjay said:

Looks like Roncalli basically said find another job and we won’t have to fire you.   And by the way I’m hearing no charges will be filed over locker room incident.

I keep seeing that too, but the "quote" from the prosecutor raised a red flag for me. They're not usually so blunt with things like that. I reached out to a reporter who has been covering it, and he said that he contacted the prosecutor's office to verify this and they said it was still under investigation - no decisions have been made. So yeah, I'll keep waiting for the official word - can't believe everything you see on social media.

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

I really don’t think Chatard had 46 points more talent than Roncalli.  

Was that other component the end zone camera situation? (Sorry. Couldn’t resist!)

I agree with your assessment. I think Roncalli was a year away past season. And my bet is that Chatard wins regional this fall, setting up a Sectional 22 Chatard vs Roncalli first round game in 2021.

• Like 3

The Roncalli freshmen had a nice year. They gave the Cathedral freshmen all they could handle as Carhedral needed a touchdown in the Q4 2 minute drill to win. St. Barnabas was in the 2017 CYO Final and St. Jude won the 2018 CYO Championship. Both teams had some good linemen to build around (Schwartz, Neu, Butts). 

I would ask 2 questions:

1. How has the malfeasance of the former/current administration over Archbishop Thompson’s sexual identity crusade impacted enrollment? Combined with other incidents in multiple sports, it certainly has stained public perception. 
2. How has the recent emergence of Center Grove impacted Roncalli’s football pool of talent? 

Seems like a good reclamation project for a coach as there is less downside risk, but they will need to reestablish a brand down there.

PS. It all started when they dropped Cathedral from the schedule ;)  Had to get a jab in! 

7 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

2. How has the recent emergence of Center Grove impacted Roncalli’s football pool of talent? 

I think that definitely has an effect on Roncalli.  The recent emergence of Franklin Community has to hurt as well since they have a great coach and they are on the rise.  It would be a tough decision because if I was good enough, I would definitely go to CG because of the exposure, Coach Moore, and the MIC.  And no way would I want to go to FC if I was passionate about football because they were a doormat of a program for a long time, but Coll has them on the rise.

I think this is a challenging job and I think a passionate alum would be a smart hire to reestablish the brand.