Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Rodney McGraw Elkhart Verbals to.....

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Or as Barry Alvarez would say, once a kid verbally commits, the REAL recruiting begins. 

One of the best "Spanish" minds in the game.  🙂  

• Thanks 1

I know there's a lot of opinions when news comes out like this, especially with him decommitting from an in-state school.

This young man's three main reasons for committing to IU were the Kelly School of Business, the strength & conditioning program (Dave Ballou and Dr. Rhea), and the DL Coach (Mark Hagen).

Since Rodney's commitment, Coach Hagen was named DL coach at Texas and Dave Ballou and Dr. Rhea both took jobs at Alabama.  No one can blame those guys for making those moves that they deemed were best for them and their respective families.

Due to those changes, none of which he had control over, Rodney decided that Penn State was a better fit.

Imagine agreeing to take a new job with a new boss and a new location.  Then between agreeing to take the job and starting your first day, the boss who you wanted to work for left and the location changed.  You may (or may not) decide to now not take the job because the situation is different.  That's all that happened here.

Completely understandable if you look at the situation through the lens of the student-athlete.

Coach Allen is absolutely top notch and Indiana is in great hands with him at the helm of the program.  It was simply that the things that were most important to Rodney are now not the same.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Coach, not that you needed to put out clarification but understand why you did.    

I would never fault any young man who makes these decisions, easy to throw out stuff on Social Media when the school you root for loses a player, especially caliber of Rodney, but as you are well aware of, its about what is best for each and every kid and until you have been through the process yourself as a coach or family of a player you do not understand. 

1 hour ago, CoachShattuck said:

I know there's a lot of opinions when news comes out like this, especially with him decommitting from an in-state school.

This young man's three main reasons for committing to IU were the Kelly School of Business, the strength & conditioning program (Dave Ballou and Dr. Rhea), and the DL Coach (Mark Hagen).

Since Rodney's commitment, Coach Hagen was named DL coach at Texas and Dave Ballou and Dr. Rhea both took jobs at Alabama.  No one can blame those guys for making those moves that they deemed were best for them and their respective families.

Due to those changes, none of which he had control over, Rodney decided that Penn State was a better fit.

Imagine agreeing to take a new job with a new boss and a new location.  Then between agreeing to take the job and starting your first day, the boss who you wanted to work for left and the location changed.  You may (or may not) decide to now not take the job because the situation is different.  That's all that happened here.

Completely understandable if you look at the situation through the lens of the student-athlete.

Coach Allen is absolutely top notch and Indiana is in great hands with him at the helm of the program.  It was simply that the things that were most important to Rodney are now not the same.

Yep.  His choice.

57 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

And this based on what exactly?   

Common knowledge all the way back to his days at Vanderbilt.  Hit google.

He is not well respected in the coaching community because of his tactics and empty promises to student athletes.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Common knowledge all the way back to his days at Vanderbilt.  Hit google.

He is not well respected in the coaching community because of his tactics and empty promises to student athletes.

LOL.  The old google machine.

13 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

LOL.  The old google machine.

Use whatever search engine you prefer, the Vanderbilt rape story is sure to come up...

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Penn State is an excellent academic institution.  

Congrats to the young man for making the choice that is best for him.  He's certainly not the first Hoosier to play football for Penn State....won't be the last.

They also covered up young boys being molested by a college coach for years, and it didn't fase them. 

They've shown their true colors. That's who they are. 

Now.. I will for sure hope Rodney does well. Absolutely pulling for him. 

But that has nothing to do with what Penn St covered up. 

14 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

What happened within the Penn State football program and the administrators at that time in history, was horrific.  No one argues that.

But Penn State, as an academic institution has been around long before the football scandal....and to judge the classroom based on a few in a sports program in the past is not right.  I have worked with some bright Penn State grads, my son-in-law is a Penn State grad, and they are outstanding professionals.  They had NOTHING to do with the football scandal.

The people, and especially the players today, had NOTHING to do with the scandal.  The players, coaches and admin today are showing their true colors??  What are those colors of these people in the present???

To continue judging the many for what a few should own is unfortunate....Tommy Stevens (Decatur Central) and Sam Ficken (Heritage Christian) played at Penn State....what are their true colors??  I think they are both outstanding young men and proud graduates of the Pennsylvania State University.

Should I call IU a scum university for a female student being abducted, murdered and still missing??  That also is as ugly as it gets.  Does IU have any ownership for the security of their students, especially female students?  Do I judge them forever??  Does that define IU forever??

Nope.  But James Franklin is still employed by the university and is a total douche.

33 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

What happened within the Penn State football program and the administrators at that time in history, was horrific.  No one argues that.

But Penn State, as an academic institution has been around long before the football scandal....and to judge the classroom based on a few in a sports program in the past is not right.  I have worked with some bright Penn State grads, my son-in-law is a Penn State grad, and they are outstanding professionals.  They had NOTHING to do with the football scandal.

The people, and especially the players today, had NOTHING to do with the scandal.  The players, coaches and admin today are showing their true colors??  What are those colors of these people in the present???

To continue judging the many for what a few should own is unfortunate....Tommy Stevens (Decatur Central) and Sam Ficken (Heritage Christian) played at Penn State....what are their true colors??  I think they are both outstanding young men and proud graduates of the Pennsylvania State University.

Should I call IU a scum university for a female student being abducted, murdered and still missing??  That also is as ugly as it gets.  Does IU have any ownership for the security of their students, especially female students?  Do I judge them forever??  Does that define IU forever??

The president of the university was literally in on it 😂😂. I'm out on this convo. 

5 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Didn’t Sam Ficken attend Valparaiso HS?

I wonder how Penn State fans really feel about "stealing" a commit from Indiana.  The two schools never in the past were mentioned in the same sentence.  One was considered a CFB Blueblood.  The other a perennial doormat.  

Seems odd