Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4 hours ago, DT said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

The reality is DT, regardless if they went to Marian, Franklin, Hanover, St. Francis, Wabash, UIndy, etc. they are going to walk out with some debt (maybe more as most D2, NAIA schools are private).  

D1 FBS Schools get 85 Scholarships for 85 players

D1 FCS get 63 Scholarships for up to 85 players (Butler & Valpo are in the Pioneer League and do not offer Football Scholarships)

D2 Football gets 36 scholarships for up to 85 players

D3 NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS

NAIA gets 24 Scholarships

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

The reality is DT, regardless if they went to Marian, Franklin, Hanover, St. Francis, Wabash, UIndy, etc. they are going to walk out with some debt (maybe more as most D2, NAIA schools are private).  

D1 FBS Schools get 85 Scholarships for 85 players

D1 FCS get 63 Scholarships for up to 85 players (Butler & Valpo are in the Pioneer League and do not offer Football Scholarships)

D2 Football gets 36 scholarships for up to 85 players

D3 NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS

NAIA gets 24 Scholarships

Most if not all D3 schools set aside ,half of their scoli money ,or more, for athletics, so your statement is a little misleading. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

Most if not all D3 schools set aside ,half of their scoli money ,or more, for athletics, so your statement is a little misleading. 

D3 schools can NOT offer athletic scholarship money.  They may set aside for NEED or for ACADEMICS.  Show me a D3 Athletic Scholarship Offer.  And if they set aside money, guarantee the majority of players are paying more at Wabash, Depauw, Hanover, Franklin, etc. than they would be as a student at a State School

• Like 2

7 hours ago, southend said:

Interesting...I was a 4 year letterman and 3 year starter.  I don't remember getting any of that "Scoli" money....nor did any of my teammates.  2 guys that lived on my floor freshman year were getting about half paid for for financial reasons....they didn't even play sports to my knowledge.  

Where do I file my grievance?😁

7 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

D3 schools can NOT offer athletic scholarship money.  They may set aside for NEED or for ACADEMICS.  Show me a D3 Athletic Scholarship Offer.  And if they set aside money, guarantee the majority of players are paying more at Wabash, Depauw, Hanover, Franklin, etc. than they would be as a student at a State School

I believe that's what he was saying. The cost difference can vary as well. I know a football player at Franklin who was given enough scholarship money likely due to his ability to play football (he's a good student too) that he's paying very little to attend. My son had a friend who was a good swimmer and recruited to Wabash. His academic scholarships, grants, and work study got him down to $14k/year. He was also recruited to UIndy and looked at Purdue but received no scholarship offers from them. Purdue would have been more expensive than Wabash for him.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I believe that's what he was saying. The cost difference can vary as well. I know a football player at Franklin who was given enough scholarship money likely due to his ability to play football (he's a good student too) that he's paying very little to attend. My son had a friend who was a good swimmer and recruited to Wabash. His academic scholarships, grants, and work study got him down to $14k/year. He was also recruited to UIndy and looked at Purdue but received no scholarship offers from them. Purdue would have been more expensive than Wabash for him.

The schools could not exist if not for bringing athletes in the door.

On 2/5/2020 at 8:22 AM, southend said:

This is not accurate whatsoever. As a previous D3 college assistant, I can promise you at my school none of the scholarship money from the Financial Aid office was "set aside" for athletic recruits. As much as I would have loved for that, we had no influence on that office to provide more scholarship money toward incoming/returning studens who were also athletes.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:55 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

This is also very misleading. Granted, this was 10-14 years ago for my personal experience, but I attended an instate D3 school. I got more money in scholarships (mostly for academics, a few other that were "leadership" and "value" based that I competed for with other incoming students) from that D3 school than either IU or Ball State. In fact, I do not believe either of those schools offered any scholarship money. However, after the scholarships I received, it was actually CHEAPER for me to go to the D3 school than the state schools. Very few (if ANY) students legit pay 100% sticker tuition you see at D3 schools within the state.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

This is not accurate whatsoever. As a previous D3 college assistant, I can promise you at my school none of the scholarship money from the Financial Aid office was "set aside" for athletic recruits. As much as I would have loved for that, we had no influence on that office to provide more scholarship money toward incoming/returning studens who were also athletes.

This is also very misleading. Granted, this was 10-14 years ago for my personal experience, but I attended an instate D3 school. I got more money in scholarships (mostly for academics, a few other that were "leadership" and "value" based that I competed for with other incoming students) from that D3 school than either IU or Ball State. In fact, I do not believe either of those schools offered any scholarship money. However, after the scholarships I received, it was actually CHEAPER for me to go to the D3 school than the state schools. Very few (if ANY) students legit pay 100% sticker tuition you see at D3 schools within the state.

There is a very good possibility you were more strongly considered for some of those scholarships because you were also being recruited for athletics. My friend's son I mentioned previously was given a very generous scholarship/grant package from a local private school when he was being recruited to their swim team. I remember talking to others at the time being accepted to the same school with similar academic profiles but their financial packages weren't as generous. I assume this varies from student to student and school to school. I also knew athletes recruited to DePauw who were given similar financial aid packages to my son who was an average student and not being recruited as an athlete.

15 hours ago, JustRules said:

There is a very good possibility you were more strongly considered for some of those scholarships because you were also being recruited for athletics. My friend's son I mentioned previously was given a very generous scholarship/grant package from a local private school when he was being recruited to their swim team. I remember talking to others at the time being accepted to the same school with similar academic profiles but their financial packages weren't as generous. I assume this varies from student to student and school to school. I also knew athletes recruited to DePauw who were given similar financial aid packages to my son who was an average student and not being recruited as an athlete.

I can promise you, none of those scholarships had anything to do with being an athlete. Once I went back there and coached for three years, this confirmed it because I can't tell you how many times I'd call up a person in our Financial Aid office and ask them if there was anything extra available for them to apply for, etc. and be told that was all that was available.

But I'll submit to your statement that I am sure it varies student to student, school to school. My main point was, do not let sticker prices of D3 schools in the state of Indiana scare ANYONE away from possibly attending. Many of those schools have a number of financial aid possibilities/offerings that can make the overall cost very competitive against the public state schools within the state.

Also - while I am on my soap box - to any current seniors and/or their parents reading this - PLEASE check in with your local county's community foundation and apply to as many/all of those scholarships you can. Even if you don't fit the exact criteria, it's possible there are NO other qualified candidates as well! I'll never forget my parents making me fill out no less than 25 different scholarship applications (I was so tired or writing most of the same things over and over again), but I probably received an extra $5,000 or so in various scholarships (ranging from $100 - $1,500 each). For example, the Kosciusko County Community Foundation has over 100 scholarships avaiable and $500,000 to award to students in Kosciusko County every year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

But I'll submit to your statement that I am sure it varies student to student, school to school. My main point was, do not let sticker prices of D3 schools in the state of Indiana scare ANYONE away from possibly attending. Many of those schools have a number of financial aid possibilities/offerings that can make the overall cost very competitive against the public state schools within the state.

Yes, I'm sure it does definitely vary student to student and school to school. I talked to my friend over the weekend and asked about it. He said the swimming coach told him the first time they met his son would get the $25k Presidential scholarship before he even asked about academics (he was a good student). When he got his acceptance and financial aid offer there was another $9k in grants and work study so it was a very generous offer. While it was below Purdue (his other possible school without swimming) it was still more than his parents could easily afford. They called financial aid to see if there were any further options and the answer was no. He ultimately took the offer but only lasted 1 year because of the cost.

My son was offered a good scholarship by DePauw (non-athlete, decent student) but ultimately it was still nearly twice as much as the cost of Ball State where he received no financial aid. I agree being open to the smaller, private schools because we have excellent options in Indiana as well as Ohio and Illinois. It's a very different experience than IU or Purdue, but they seem to have the most loyal alumni because they are so connected to the school they attended. The sticker price is often more of a badge of honor to compare to other schools and rarely the actual cost anyone pays. It's like they determine the actual cost is $45k but publish a cost of $60k but give most students a $15k scholarship that doesn't actually cost them any money. And if someone does pay the full $60k it's gravy for them.

On 2/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

Congratulations to Western Boone's Connor Hole and Brett Wethington.  Both received (and committed) to IU on Saturday when Coach Tom Allen offered both Preferred Walk on spots. 

Congrats to Both!

Wow.  I thought Wethington was committed to Valpo.

Any word on Wright?

13 hours ago, XStar said:

Wow.  I thought Wethington was committed to Valpo.

Any word on Wright?

Wethington verballed to Valpo.  I think with the opportunity to have a shot at playing B1G football was something Brett couldn't pass up (My thoughts/opinions)... 

Nothing on Spencer yet... 

Edited by 1st_and_10
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, JustRules said:

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:22 AM, southend said:

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 5:22 PM, JustRules said:

Maybe I should have clarified a bit... Every kid/situation is different... The D3 Schools will find money to help each kid they want to come in and play for them, but that money will all be different.  Certain kids will get more than others.  My experience with this was that it would have cost more to attend a D3 school and play rather than going to a State School just to get an education (not me, but someone very close to me).  The situation will be different for every kid/family.... 

We do know D3s can't offer Athletic Scholarships.... But we also know that D3s can get creative in how they find/give money.... It wasn't fair of me to say that "the majority of players are paying more at Wabash, Depauw, Hanover, Franklin, etc. than they would be as a student at a State School"