Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Allen is killing Indiana small college football

On 2/3/2020 at 8:20 AM, southend said:

Preferred walk on roster for Indiana University is bulging at the seams with Indiana kids. Depleting the available instate athletes for smaller state colleges and universities. including ,but not Limited to.other In state D1schools. Most of these kids will never see the light of day in their career at IU. whether Allen thinks he’s being generous or what. This is not a good thing. 

Where do you find the preferred walk on roster? I looked quickly and couldn't find one for the current season or any past season. If there's no preferred walk on roster out there for any season, how do you know that the roster is larger now that it was last year? 5 years ago? 10 years ago?

Or is it that it's just more public now because all of them are posting it on their twitter accounts for all to see?

Edited by Bullhorn99

Allen has a distinct advantage with “Indiana’s best” marginal high school players , to the disadvantage of the smaller schools.  It’s a Lot easier for these kids to accept a walk on to IU ,than try to get the help needed from parents and coaches to amassing film , statistics ,data necessary to cull a scoli from these other schools. Some don’t have the help or no one will give them the help.  

11 minutes ago, southend said:

Allen has a distinct advantage with “Indiana’s best” marginal high school players , to the disadvantage of the smaller schools.  It’s a Lot easier for these kids to accept a walk on to IU ,than try to get the help needed from parents and coaches to amassing film , statistics ,data necessary to cull a scoli from these other schools. Some don’t have the help or no one will give them the help.  

Well wouldn't they need the same film, stats, data, etc to get a preferred walk-on spot at IU or Purdue? How else would IU or Purdue evaluate and determine these guys are capable of walking on and surviving in college?

Edited by Bullhorn99

8 minutes ago, southend said:

That is a slap in the face to the majority of coaches that will bend over backwards to help get their kids into a school and, in particular, one that fits.  With the advent of Hudl and Maxpreps (and others), access to film, stats, data, etc is easier than ever before.

I guess i am just disappointed in the laziness of the football players in our state who keep choosing the "easier" route as a walk-on.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What about a Walk-on is easy? These guys are rolling the dice, working from the very bottom of the roster, paying their own way to school. How is that easy? 

This will not make the small schools worst off. If anything it will make them better in the long run. When the reality of being a walk-on hits most will transfer to a smaller school to actually play. A few will stick with it and some do gain scholarships, it is a great move by IU to gain as much talent as possible. But some will rise to the challenge and others will move on. It is the nature of the beast. Even at the small schools a large amount of freshmen show up thinking they are going to jump in and start only to have to work their way up the practice squads to get noticed. 

• Like 2

Many of the D3 schools use athletics as a way to recruit students. When my son was a senior we were talking to Hanover and the admissions person said 45% of their incoming class each year are on one of the athletics teams. The D3 schools will try to get 75 freshmen every year knowing half of them will not return their sophomore year but hopefully a large percentage like the school enough to stay at the school. It's a good recruiting tool for those schools.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SBFootball1 said:

That is a slap in the face to the majority of coaches that will bend over backwards to help get their kids into a school and, in particular, one that fits.  With the advent of Hudl and Maxpreps (and others), access to film, stats, data, etc is easier than ever before.

I guess i am just disappointed in the laziness of the football players in our state who keep choosing the "easier" route as a walk-on.  🙄

As a parent, I would withhold financial support from a son if he chose the walkon route at IU vs the partially or fully paid opportunity at a smaller school

"I understand son that you have a dream, but you're just going to have to finance your dream by working summers and taking out loans"

All I hear on this profile today is how our kids are getting softer and don't work as hard as they used to. Now a few of you are criticizing a kid who wants to take a chance to live out a dream?  How many times have your heard guys sitting around  talking football and somebody always says, I wish I would have tried to play at Big School U?  What is wrong with taking a chance on yourself and trying to pursue a dream? As a coach and Father , it is part of my job to get my players and kids to go outside of their comfort zone. The only way we improve in any endeavor is to leave our comfort zones. Some of these kids have been big fish in small ponds their whole lives and have no idea of what they are capable of.   I applaud the kids who take a chance.   Live life with your hair on fire, take some chances.  If you get there and it doesn't work out, I am sure the small college guys will take a second look at you.  There is something to be said for these kids that go with no guarantees of anything, but a roster spot and are willing to work there butts off. I'd hire that guy any day.  My son is actually one of those guys who turned down a very good offer to be a walk on at IU.  That has been his dream forever.  Chase it with all your heart Young man!!!  He understands all the negatives and we discussed it thoroughly . He chose to take a chance.  I am impressed and proud that he chose to take a chance and test his metal.  At the end of the day, regardless of whether he plays 1 play or a thousand plays, it is the process and the willingness to put in the work that will benefit him in the real world. We all have our opinions on how good a kid is and where they can play, but the world is full of guys people were wrong about.  I for one think we all could learn to take a few more chances , to say what the hell, to believe in ourselves and just go for it!   

BTW: Tom and his staff as I am sure Purdue does too, evaluate film and only bring in guys they think might have a chance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

BINGO 

Then Tom needs to  put the money out there, and  Don't dangle a carrot in front of these young men's  noses. When they could very well be playing or starting, with scoli money at another institution in Indiana. This will weaken the  the smaller schools rosters. Not fair for Tom to glut the "Indiana's best" marginal players. 

10 hours ago, southend said:

Then Tom needs to  put the money out there, and  Don't dangle a carrot in front of these young men's  noses. When they could very well be playing or starting, with scoli money at another institution in Indiana. This will weaken the  the smaller schools rosters. Not fair for Tom to glut the "Indiana's best" marginal players. 

Are there more walk-ons going to IU or Purdue now versus 5 years ago? 10 years ago? I asked earlier and got no response. Kinda makes me think you don't have data to back up your assertion that there's some sort of 'new' problem with larger universities taking too many of this type of student-athlete.

And let's face it... If you are paying to attend IU as a PWO you are probably paying less thatn going to one of the small private colleges to play football... And at the end of it all (if they stick it out) they can say they played B1G Football... Regardless if they ever see the field.  They will will have access to all kinds of resources that the average student at IU will not get... They get strength and conditioning training from one of the best (Dave Ballou).  They get tutoring and academic support.  And more importantly, they get to live out a dream that a bunch of us 40+ year olds all wish we had the opportunity.  If kids get the opportunity to play at the next level (whether thats a PWO, a partial scholly, etc) be happy for them.  The 8 kids that accepted PWOs this weekend will not make or break the small school Indiana College Football scene.  We all know there will be kids to leave and transfer because some kids struggle going from the Big fish in the small pond to small fish in the big pond.

D1 FBS Schools get 85 Scholarships for 85 players

D1 FCS get 63 Scholarships for up to 85 players (Butler & Valpo are in the Pioneer League and do not offer Football Scholarships)

D2 Football gets 36 scholarships for up to 85 players

D3 NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS

NAIA gets 24 Scholarships

• Like 4

I can't help but come to the conclusion that this iU depth building PWO initiative, in the era of declining participation and contraction,  will undoubtedly have a deleterious effect on Hoosier state small college football

It's inevitable and unavoidable

There is also a potential economic impact 

Had Charlie Spegal accepted a full ride scholarship to Ball State, he may have become a vital cog that propelled the Cardinals deep into the college football playoffs

Now, that can't and won't happen

IU Bloomingtons "potential" gain becomes Muncies "real" loss

Allen has made it clear with the long term contract extension that he intends to be the next Bill Mallory at Indiana University.  As the "Godfather" of football in this state, he would be wise to be a caretaker at all levels, making the whole eventually even stronger

Edited by DT

4 minutes ago, DT said:

I can't help but come to the conclusion that this iU depth building PWO initiative, in the era of declining participation and contraction,  will undoubtedly have a deleterious effect on Hoosier state small college football

Had Charlie Spegal accepted a full ride scholarship to Ball State, he may have become a vital cog that propelled the Cardinals deep into the college football playoffs

Allen has made it clear with the long term contract extension that he intends to be the next Bill Mallory at Indiana University.  As the "Godfather" of football in this state, he would be wise to be a caretaker at all levels, making the whole eventually even stronger

Can't be happy for the kids, can you?

And everything above is garbage.  If Spegal doesn't accept the PWO at IU maybe he goes to Marian... Or UIndy... Maybe those would have been better fits?  To put all of this on kids deciding what is best for them (NOT BEST FOR YOU or Small College Football in Indiana) is absolutely asinine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

This has to be one of the most inane comments ever typed on this gridiron digest.

Unquestionably.  Schools like BSU need more than just one vital cog, they massive linemen on both sides of the ball, other skill position players (QB mostly), the second coming of Brad Maynard on special teams, and (obviously) a well-seasoned coach--we're talking Carolina dry rub!!!  Maybe a demi-glaze...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

You mean if he had accepted a full scholarship that he was never offered? Because that makes perfect sense.  It has never been Tom Allen, Jeff Brohm, or any other BIG coach's job to look out for the small college football in their state.  They are paid to win, recruit players that they feel can help the program win, and offer scholarships to the best of those players. This PWO conversation sounds like some of you believe that they are just letting any high school jimmy or joe join their roster, and that is simply not the case.  Just win, Baby!  That is how the old saying goes, is it not?  And, I for one, believe that both Tom Allen and Jeff Brohm are doing it the right way!

15 hours ago, southend said:

Why do you care so much about other people's teenage kids and their decisions on where they CHOOSE to go play football at the next level, PWO or otherwise?

Its really odd 

• Thanks 2

If you have the privilege to be a part of the 6% of high school football players that go onto play college football, then it is totally up to that player on where he decides to attend. The percentage is obviously less than that who go onto play D1 ball. Furthermore, every college coach has the opportunity to recruit and Allen is doing a heck of a job in Bloomington. He shouldn't be knocked for that, we should be happy they are staying in state and not walking on at a campus out of state.

• Like 2

Could it be possible that before (Tom Allen and Jeff Brohmthat our instate DII and NAIA schools were enjoying a deeper pool of talent than they should have due to poor in-state recruiting by the D1s?  Could that be part of the reason Indiana's lower levels have enjoyed a high level of national success?

Edited by Titan32