Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Allen is killing Indiana small college football

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Could it be possible that before (Tom Allen and Jeff Brohmthat our instate DII and NAIA schools were enjoying a deeper pool of talent than they should have due to poor in-state recruiting by the D1s?  Could that be part of the reason Indiana's lower levels have enjoyed a high level of national success?

Marian and St Francis haven't slowed down much during the Allen/Brohm years. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

D3 NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS

As a matter of fact, DIII schools in Indiana would not be able to keep their doors open if not for athletes deciding to enroll to further their sport careers. The sole reason they reserve over half academic scolis for athletes. 

4 minutes ago, southend said:

As a matter of fact, DIII schools in Indiana would not be able to keep their doors open if not for athletes deciding to enroll to further their sport careers. The sole reason they reserve over half academic scolis for athletes. 

Grants are not Scholarships 

Division 3 football cannot give out Athletic Scholarships, they can however, give GRANT AID Packages to come to their school based on academics along with athletics 

Should Division 3 athletes get scholarships?
DIII colleges are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships and the amount of practice time a coach can have is reduced; athletes here are competing for the love of competition. Schools can and do give financial aid through leadership grants and needs based financial aid but they are not the full rides.

While Division III schools do not offer athletics scholarships, 75 percent of Division III student-athletes receive some form of merit or need-based financial aid. If you are planning to attend a Division III school, you do not need to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Are the following true statements?:

• The best NFL teams have the highest number of world class athletes
  • The best DI teams of the highest number of NFL caliber players
  • The best DII and NAIA teams of the highest number of D1 caliber players
  • The best DIII teams of the highest number of DII and NAIA caliber players
  • The best high school teams have the highest number of collegiate caliber players
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Are the following true statements?:

• The best NFL teams have the highest number of world class athletes
  • The best DI teams of the highest number of NFL caliber players
  • The best DII and NAIA teams of the highest number of D1 caliber players
  • The best DIII teams of the highest number of DII and NAIA caliber players
  • The best high school teams have the highest number of collegiate caliber players

The last statement might not actually be true, but the other statements almost assuredly are!  The last one has a lot to do with when you have someone like me that stands in the way of team success!😭😂

4 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

The last statement might not actually be true, but the other statements almost assuredly are!  The last one has a lot to do with when you have someone like me that stands in the way of team success!😭😂

If I know one thing about you coach....you are catalyst for success in young men!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Marian and St Francis haven't slowed down much during the Allen/Brohm years. 

They have done well (and Indiana Wesleyan is coming hard). Ball State is up and down as a MAC school. Indiana State is improving, but they are generally a poor team in the Missouri Valley. UIndy has been ranked and does well in their conference, but they get by the first or second round of the playoffs. The D3 schools often struggle when competing out of conference. But it's still a decent level of football, and I applaud any kid willing to put in the time and effort at any level.

I don't believe a few extra PWOs will impact those programs that significantly. The player choosing a PWO at IU or Purdue over a full or partial scholarship to Ball State or Indiana State is making the decision with his eyes wide open. I don't know how anyone can be critical of that.

4 hours ago, JustRules said:

They have done well (and Indiana Wesleyan is coming hard). Ball State is up and down as a MAC school. Indiana State is improving, but they are generally a poor team in the Missouri Valley. UIndy has been ranked and does well in their conference, but they get by the first or second round of the playoffs. The D3 schools often struggle when competing out of conference. But it's still a decent level of football, and I applaud any kid willing to put in the time and effort at any level.

I don't believe a few extra PWOs will impact those programs that significantly. The player choosing a PWO at IU or Purdue over a full or partial scholarship to Ball State or Indiana State is making the decision with his eyes wide open. I don't know how anyone can be critical of that.

I believe we read earlier in this thread that Coach Allen's intent is to follow the Nebraska model of the 70-95 period and "build" a sub roster of PWO players.   We could be looking at an expansion from 2 or 3 to possibly 20 or 30

How can that not have an impact on smaller in  state schools down the trough?

On 2/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, DT said:

And the talent pool continues to diminsh

Iu allows lesser talented athletes to consume roster bandwidth

Indiana State , Butler, Depauw and others shop the high school clearance bin, taking kids who didn't even make All Conferen ce or All Area or All County

Didn't know it was IU's responsibility to make sure ISU, Butler, etc... had good football teams?  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, DT said:

It's actually a great conversation.  I wanted to play D2 football after high school but my condescending arrogant head coach told me I was too slow.   Ultimately he was right.  I wound up at D3 SJC

It really bothers me when kids get bad advise.  Somebody tells them they are good enough to play Big Ten football, and they wind up riding the bench for 5 years and never getting a sniff of game action, when perhaps a fulfilling career at ISU or BSU or NIU would have been much more rewarding.  

So the buck stops with you on whether or not these kids had a fulfilling college career?  Interesting. 

2 hours ago, DT said:

I believe we read earlier in this thread that Coach Allen's intent is to follow the Nebraska model of the 70-95 period and "build" a sub roster of PWO players.   We could be looking at an expansion from 2 or 3 to possibly 20 or 30

Aren't you a huge fan of contraction? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

9 hours ago, DT said:

Do we know it's only been 2-3 previously and will be as big as 20-30? And even if it is who knows if those 20-30 players would have gone to one of the schools in Indiana? Even if they did that's only 2 players per team on average. The D3 schools shoot for recruiting classes of 50-75 so 2 players isn't going to make or break them.

You pick the strangest things to get angry about. If it's simply trolling to find ridiculous things for people to get riled up, it's working. But that is a sad form of entertainment. This is such a non-issue to anyone involved in the college recruiting process. Allowing more kids to play college football. Oh the horror!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DT said:

This, not only Nebraska but Alabama in that early time period. 

21 minutes ago, southend said:

Participation Numbers don’t change. 

This is just not the case.  They absolutely do change.

16 minutes ago, southend said:

Pretty selfish, for the health of indiana smaller colleges. 
me ,me ,me-era is here. 

Once again, it is not Tom Allen's responsibility to monitor the success of Indiana small college football.  Furthermore, if IU continues to get better, one could argue that the popularity of football in this state would grow, and eventually attracting more players that could play small college football.  Therefore, in the future Tom Allen may in fact be having an extremely positive impact on small college football.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

This is just not the case.  They absolutely do change.

Once again, it is not Tom Allen's responsibility to monitor the success of Indiana small college football.  Furthermore, if IU continues to get better, one could argue that the popularity of football in this state would grow, and eventually attracting more players that could play small college football.  Therefore, in the future Tom Allen may in fact be having an extremely positive impact on small college football.

Absolutely.  I see nothing wrong with his tactic ("you're pretty good, but...").  DePauw will get their kids, Hanover will get their kids, Wabash will get their kids, even Notre Dame and Purdue will...

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

at the end of the day, it is up to the individual student athlete and their family.   I will never criticize kids who make decisions on what they feel is their best opportunity for them.  

Look at Purdue this past year, had a walk on Center, QB and RB all start last game of the year.   

100%.  No one forced them to go to IU in this case or wherever they end up.  The decision is up to the student athlete to decide where they go play.  If a POW at IU is better for them than playing for a smaller state school then good for them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Then please explain your me, me, me era is here in context to the thread you started......I must have missed it.

27 minutes ago, Goose10 said:

100%.  No one forced them to go to IU in this case or wherever they end up.  The decision is up to the student athlete to decide where they go play.  If a POW at IU is better for them than playing for a smaller state school then good for them. 

I have never once, in this thread abashed or chided students, or their decisions to select the college they wanted to attend. 

You all  jumped on that stage coach. And it left town. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

I have never once, in this thread abashed or chided students, or their decisions to select the college they wanted to attend. 

You all  jumped on that stage coach. And it left town. 

Is your point not that a coach offering POW's is killing football at other levels in the state of Indiana because players go to IU and you did state that some of those guys "would never see the light of day" at IU?  In my previous statement I didn't accuse you of anything.  I just stated that a student athlete decides where they attend school and play ball.  And if they choose to go to IU and "not see the light of day" instead of going and getting on the field action at a DII, DIII, or NAIA school then good for them.