Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Allen is killing Indiana small college football

So DI colleges are taking away opportunities because of PWOs...ha

So all PWOs have an excellent chance of playing minutes for the school...ha

Does it look good on a resume that you were a PWO in school...I would think 

I do wonder how many PWOs chance their major so they have a better chance of playing on the team...

Parents are a big influence in encouraging fiscal responsibility to their children...

I know the GID members encourage fiscal responsibility in young people as well

Listen there are schools who do a good job (maybe) and a horrible job of recruiting in this state! Most are D1! I was amazed at how much better the NAIA schools do in this state. My son just went through the process and said i would rather play and get noticed then be on the sideline and not. So he decided on an NAIA school due to how much more thorough they where. Anymore if you have the talent the pro teams will find you.

Let these kids live their lives. If they go to IU because they think that maybe their path let them dream. You never know!

Edited by GV5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GV5 said:

Listen there are schools who do a good job (maybe) and a horrible job of recruiting in this state! Most are D1! I was amazed at how much better the NAIA schools do in this state. My son just went through the process and said i would rather play and get noticed then be on the sideline and not. So he decided on an NAIA school due to how much more thorough they where. Anymore if you have the talent the pro teams will find you.

Let these kids live their lives. If they go to IU because they think that maybe their path let them dream. You never know!

Well said

On 2/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, DT said:

And what do we tell Johnny Football in 5 years when he is $100K in debt and getting ready to start his fabulous career as a Gym Teacher for $35000 in Podunk, Indiana?

Oh wait, President Warren will likely forgive that debt as part of her income redistribution initiative

Johnny Football will have a degree from a world-class university that's the only Public Ivy in Indiana, while also having had the opportunity to be part of a Big Ten football team? 

There's a lot more to college football than the 11 guys on the field at any given time. IU's PWO program is opening up opportunities for student-athletes, and while many PWOs never see the field, some become scholarship players, team captains and more, but all have the opportunity to pursue a degree from a world-class university. I'm proud of my IU degree and the places where it has led me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

Johnny Football will have a degree from a world-class university that's the only Public Ivy in Indiana, while also having had the opportunity to be part of a Big Ten football team? 

Please expound on this "Public Ivy" designation.  I have never heard of it before now.

There's a lot more to college football than the 11 guys on the field at any given time. IU's PWO program is opening up opportunities for student-athletes, and while many PWOs never see the field, some become scholarship players, team captains and more, but all have the opportunity to pursue a degree from a world-class university. I'm proud of my IU degree and the places where it has led me. 

Me too

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Please expound on this "Public Ivy" designation.  I have never heard of it before now.

Agree.  That is a bit of a stretch.  Perhaps my degree is now worth somewhat more than it used to be?

Or are we just talking about the current generation leading venerable old IU to "Ivy" level status?

Wright Quad sure didn't feel "Ivy" back then.  Lol

Edited by DT

There is only one public university in the state of Indiana that has any type of Ivy in its broad reputation. It is not located in Bloomington!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

There is only one public university in the state of Indiana that has any type of Ivy in its broad reputation. It is not located in Bloomington!

Just talked about this in class this morning.  😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

while many PWOs never see the field, some become scholarship players, team captains and more, but all have the opportunity to pursue a degree from a world-class university. 

PWO status is not needed to accomplish any of this. 
This is just a tool to lure kids in.  Nothing special. 

• Disdain 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, JustRules said:

Those D3 programs have made the playoffs, but in general the HCAC conference champs are lower quality than the winners of the other D3 conferences. It's very rare for them to win a playoff game and most of the HCAC teams go 0-2 in non-conference play. It's still decent football, and I don't see a few extra PWOs will have much of an impact to that.

Definitely understand your point but all everyone sees is the final score. People don't realize that over the past two years in the tournament Hanover has been significantly hindered by injuries. This year alone against Mt. Union they didn't have: 1st team all conference starting QB, all-american potential LB, all american 3T DL, 1st team all conference CB, and a banged up offensive line. Obviously not an excuse (most likely don't beat UMU anyways) but if Hanover would have gotten Hope College's NCAA draw they definitely win a playoff game. HCAC has their years in terms of quality at a national level but the conference is top heavy which hurts them nationally. 

1 hour ago, PantherBall20 said:

Definitely understand your point but all everyone sees is the final score. People don't realize that over the past two years in the tournament Hanover has been significantly hindered by injuries. This year alone against Mt. Union they didn't have: 1st team all conference starting QB, all-american potential LB, all american 3T DL, 1st team all conference CB, and a banged up offensive line. Obviously not an excuse (most likely don't beat UMU anyways) but if Hanover would have gotten Hope College's NCAA draw they definitely win a playoff game. HCAC has their years in terms of quality at a national level but the conference is top heavy which hurts them nationally. 

I can only remember 1 or 2 NCAA tournament wins in the past 15 years by HCAC teams. Most of them enter the conference season 0-2 or 0-3 and they aren't all playing Mount Union or Whitewater or North Central/Wheaton. Hanover lost to Centre last year in week 1. Centre is generally a top 20 team, but they went on to finish 5-5 last year. I wouldn't say the HCAC is top heavy. The past few years 4 of the 8 teams have been battling for the title into the last weeks of the season (Franklin, Rose-Hulman, Mt. St. Joe and either Hanover or Bluffton). Even when Franklin was winning it very year some of those teams would be competitive with them. It feels more like Franklin has come back to the pack than the other teams jumping up to get them. Anderson and Manchester are improving and Bluffton and Defiance are up and down.

Don't get me wrong though. It's still good small college football and the coaches and players are talented. Top to bottom they just don't compete with other conferences in the area. I expect they would have had a similar fate against Wartburg that Hope had (lost 41-3). For comparison Hope beat Defiance 80-6 and Manchester 38-21. Hanover beat those teams 42-0 and 56-7 respectively so I would have them fairly even. As another comparison, Hope beat Albion by 19 and Albion beat Franklin by 22. There are other playoff teams the HCAC could compete with but as long as they are surrounded by the OAC, CCIW, and WIAC the winner will likely match up with them most years. The MIAA and NCAC are both probably slightly better as well.

6 hours ago, JustRules said:

I can only remember 1 or 2 NCAA tournament wins in the past 15 years by HCAC teams. Most of them enter the conference season 0-2 or 0-3 and they aren't all playing Mount Union or Whitewater or North Central/Wheaton. Hanover lost to Centre last year in week 1. Centre is generally a top 20 team, but they went on to finish 5-5 last year. I wouldn't say the HCAC is top heavy. The past few years 4 of the 8 teams have been battling for the title into the last weeks of the season (Franklin, Rose-Hulman, Mt. St. Joe and either Hanover or Bluffton). Even when Franklin was winning it very year some of those teams would be competitive with them. It feels more like Franklin has come back to the pack than the other teams jumping up to get them. Anderson and Manchester are improving and Bluffton and Defiance are up and down.

Don't get me wrong though. It's still good small college football and the coaches and players are talented. Top to bottom they just don't compete with other conferences in the area. I expect they would have had a similar fate against Wartburg that Hope had (lost 41-3). For comparison Hope beat Defiance 80-6 and Manchester 38-21. Hanover beat those teams 42-0 and 56-7 respectively so I would have them fairly even. As another comparison, Hope beat Albion by 19 and Albion beat Franklin by 22. There are other playoff teams the HCAC could compete with but as long as they are surrounded by the OAC, CCIW, and WIAC the winner will likely match up with them most years. The MIAA and NCAC are both probably slightly better as well.

My point, IU benefits little by luring kids with PWO status. The others colleges would benefit greatly across the board, with some of these kids.  Sorry Trojan , facts are facts. 

On 2/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, southend said:

PWO status is not needed to accomplish any of this. 
This is just a tool to lure kids in.  Nothing special. 

South end must know someone getting a PWO who is better than someone he has a personal connection with.  OR someone Walked on  from his high school when he was younger and he didn’t and he still can’t let it go.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

South end must know someone getting a PWO who is better than someone he has a personal connection with.  OR someone Walked on  from his high school when he was younger and he didn’t and he still can’t let it go.   

Nothing personal Oldschool. Just years of observing.  PWO is a detriment.  

On 2/25/2020 at 9:04 AM, TrojanDad said:

I had to look that one up...pretty interesting.  Nice representation of Big 10 schools to the public ivy's list.  Surprised not to see Purdue and Northwestern.

Looks like the originial list was published in 1985, and Michigan was the only Big 10 school then to make it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

image.thumb.png.e2c546562eb7914d3fdcf6c35fc52146.png

Another source....same original and current school listing

https://prepexpert.com/public-ivy/

Current list....31 schools comprise the Public Ivy's list.

https://www.universityreview.org/list-of-public-ivy-schools/

But, but I just saw this on a website:

IndianaWorst.jpg

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

have given you countless examples of strong programs outside of D1 in Indiana...

Edited 1 hour ago by TrojanDad

Justrules out lined the mediocre state of a lot of smaller schools in Indiana. 

Fact is Pow hurts Indiana’s smaller schools more than it helps IU. 

examples of walk-ons earning scholarships at the D1 level. 

For every 1 of your examples I could name 10,20 maybe 30 that didn’t? 
but again you have missed the point. 

Fact is PWO hurts Indiana’s smaller schools more than it helps IU.

did notice your errors about Indiana State and Ball State, not realizing they are D1

No error, those schools are probably hurt the worst. 
Again you don’t get it. 
Fact, PWO’s hurts Indiana’s smaller schools more than it helps IU.