Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Allen is killing Indiana small college football

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

If Allen doesn't offer those positions, those opportunities aren't available for those young men. 

And you are wrong again. The opportunity to walk on is still there. 
I have never once in this thread stated it was my business where these athletes attend school. 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, southend said:

Completely disagreed, big time coaches have an obligation to the health of football over all.  Including small colleges and schools , not just the upper echelon, elite.  

Q.  What do they call a coach who advances the interests of “the health of football over all“ before those of his own program?

A.  “Unemployed”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, southend said:

Sure, scholarship caps. 

Point taken, PWO’s help persuade athletes from going to less fortunate schools, including but not limited to the smaller Dl schools. 

Completely disagreed, big time coaches have an obligation to the health of football over all.  Including small colleges and schools , not just the upper echelon, elite.  

So is, the health of football over all, writing their checks?  Head coaches are responsible for the health of the football in their programs.  Period 

On 3/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, Bobref said:

Q.  What do they call a coach who advances the interests of “the health of football over all“ before those of his own program?

A.  “Unemployed”

LOL...,,,,if you think offering or not offering a PWO is going to make or break a Dl program he’s (the coach)already on his way out. LOL..

On 3/2/2020 at 10:31 AM, TrojanDad said:
On 3/1/2020 at 6:10 PM, southend said:

Explain to me logically if a coach doesn’t extend a walk-in invite how a player walks on....Do you think anyone can just show up, get issued equipment and hit the practice field?  

If you have been through the process, you would not be asking me this. 
Unrecruited walk on

Recruited walk on

preferred walk on

1 hour ago, southend said:

If you have been through the process, you would not be asking me this. 
Unrecruited walk on

Recruited walk on

preferred walk on

If you have been through the process, you would know that a Preferred Walk-On and and Recruited Walk-On are the same thing.  An Unrecruited Walk-On is someone who participates in an open try-out sometime prior to the start of spring practice during the early part of the spring semester.  That is a rough process and not many make it through, but all of the guys that make it through that process could have been valued contributors at smaller schools.  Should the major program HC encourage them to leave and go elsewhere in the name of the health of small college football?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, eschnur66 said:
4 hours ago, southend said:

If you have been through the process, you would know that a Preferred Walk-On and and Recruited Walk-On are the samething. 

Not from where I have seen. 
PWO, guaranteed roster spot

Recruited walk on, received recruiting interest, but have to try out, to win a roster spot. 

4 hours ago, southend said:

LOL...,,,,if you think offering or not offering a PWO is going to make or break a Dl program he’s (the coach)already on his way out. LOL..

So, if it’s not to make the team better, why is Coach Allen doing it?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, JustRules said:

His sole intent is to make sure Ball State, ISU and others remain unsuccessful!

Yep.  Keep those programs down and that means more walk-ons to use as tackle dummies and benchwarmers.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

32 minutes ago, southend said:

I think you are wrong, POW won’t make or Break the IU program. 

You failed to answer the question: if giving someone PWO status isn’t designed to make the team better, then why is he doing it?

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You failed to answer the question: if giving someone PWO status isn’t designed to make the team better, then why is he doing it?

I absolutely think it’s to make his team better. 
so .......ok......o answered your question. 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

this whole conversation has  been a true off season gem!!   Classic GID 

Your about 75% of the problem 

1 hour ago, southend said:

I absolutely think it’s to make his team better. 
so .......ok......o answered your question. 

Your about 75% of the problem 

So, he’s doing exactly what he’s supposed to be doing. What’s the problem?

Edit: for those just reading this post, the “your” in southend’s quoted post

is not only grammatically incorrect, but also refers to @Coach Nowlin, not me.😂

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, he’s doing exactly what he’s supposed to be doing. What’s the problem?

Edit: for those just reading this post, the “your” in southend’s quoted post

is not only grammatically incorrect, but also refers to @Coach Nowlin, not me.😂

Ok you got me. Spell check got me   Same answer, I absolutely think it’s to make his team better. I answered your question again! 
so ..,,,..!

Edited by southend

2 hours ago, southend said:

Ok you got me. Spell check got me   Same answer, I absolutely think it’s to make his team better. I answered your question again! 
so ..,,,..!

At least he's in good company because most D1 programs have at least some level of PWO programs. I guess every coach is negatively impacting the smaller schools in their state. And those schools have PWO programs as well. Heaven forbid more young people get an opportunity to be on a college football team.

This is an entertaining thread.  It's also nonsense.   New(er) programs St. Francis, Marian, and Indiana Wesleyan have done much more to "kill" small college football in Indiana than IU is doing this year.  Those teams have taken 300+ players that could have ended up on the state's D-III teams.  Add Mike Leonard at Franklin to that list.  They were so good most of the years during his tenure that he dominated in-state recruiting.  Wabash and DePauw have also killed small schools because they have so much tradition that the others can't compete in recruiting.  We can't forget Butler and Valpo.  They get non-scholarship players to play Division-I football.  How are the small schools to compete with that?

I'm only partly joking.  As a famous talk radio host says, I'm "Demonstrating absurdity by being absurd."  The fact is that there is zero impact to small college football in the state by Tom Allen and staff offering a bunch of PWOs.  Not all those kids are taking them either

8 hours ago, coachkj said:

This is an entertaining thread.  It's also nonsense.   New(er) programs St. Francis, Marian, and Indiana Wesleyan have done much more to "kill" small college football in Indiana than IU is doing this year.  Those teams have taken 300+ players that could have ended up on the state's D-III teams.  Add Mike Leonard at Franklin to that list.  They were so good most of the years during his tenure that he dominated in-state recruiting.  Wabash and DePauw have also killed small schools because they have so much tradition that the others can't compete in recruiting.  We can't forget Butler and Valpo.  They get non-scholarship players to play Division-I football.  How are the small schools to compete with that?

I'm only partly joking.  As a famous talk radio host says, I'm "Demonstrating absurdity by being absurd."  The fact is that there is zero impact to small college football in the state by Tom Allen and staff offering a bunch of PWOs.  Not all those kids are taking them either

Total nonsense.  I’ll summarize: Tom Allen has created a new way to make walk ons feel welcome...

8 hours ago, coachkj said:

New(er) programs St. Francis, Marian, and Indiana Wesleyan have done much more to "kill" small college football in Indiana than IU is doing this year.  Those teams have taken 300+ players that could have ended up on the state's D-III teams. 

Don't these new programs tend to dilute the overall in-state talent pool?  Coaches have to fill their roster spots, so now they may be forced to look at "lesser talent" in order to do that.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

at the end of the day, it is up to the individual student athlete and their family.   

Ok, this is it.  And I know it was not intentional (so only 75%)
From this post, several posters on here, Over and over,insinuated that some how I am telling these families where to attend or not to attend.  

False