Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Congrats Shotgun Teams, No more intentional Grounding

NFHS has changed the rule, you may now spike it from the Shotgun formation to kill the clock 

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/additional-timing-changes-on-play-clock-approved-in-high-school-football-rules/

Two changes to Rule 7 – Snapping, Handling and Passing the Ball – were approved by the committee. The exception in Rule 7-5-2 regarding an illegal forward pass being a foul was expanded. Previously, it was legal to conserve time only by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap. The committee expanded the exception to permit a player positioned directly behind the center (shotgun formation) to intentionally ground the ball.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

NFHS has changed the rule, you may now spike it from the Shotgun formation to kill the clock 

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/additional-timing-changes-on-play-clock-approved-in-high-school-football-rules/

Two changes to Rule 7 – Snapping, Handling and Passing the Ball – were approved by the committee. The exception in Rule 7-5-2 regarding an illegal forward pass being a foul was expanded. Previously, it was legal to conserve time only by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap. The committee expanded the exception to permit a player positioned directly behind the center (shotgun formation) to intentionally ground the ball.

Sir, any mention of requiring endzone cameras for high school games? I would like to see that rule passed.

2 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

I remember ... has been more than once.  Just waiting for them to get it passed!

There is clearly no doubt that the state wide requirement for the installation of end zone cameras will help eliminate participation decline, lack of competitiveness and contraction, all plagues descending down upon our great game

41 minutes ago, DT said:

There is clearly no doubt that the state wide requirement for the installation of end zone cameras will help eliminate participation decline, lack of competitiveness and contraction, all plagues descending down upon our great game

Only if everyone get the Hi-Pod X31

On 2/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Hmm, I see no explanation as to why the changing of this rule to include the shotgun formation.  Handing more options and power to the offense, I guess.  After all high school needs more 74-66 gems.  That or we don't want the widdle shotgun quarterback having to actually have his hands in the vicinity of the offensive center's anus.  Yuck!

I’m ok with this rule as long as the clock operator keeps time accurately.  The clock should stop when the ball hits the ground.  The shotgun snap/spike should add a least one second additional run off than a traditional snap/spike. 

I feel like the rules used to be interpreted that the QB had to bring the ball up and definite throwing motion before spiking it. (Chest height maybe?) I see plenty now that look like a two hand basketball dribble. Those look more like a fumbled exchange than incomplete pass, IMO. 

23 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I’m ok with this rule as long as the clock operator keeps time accurately.  The clock should stop when the ball hits the ground.  The shotgun snap/spike should add a least one second additional run off than a traditional snap/spike. 

I feel like the rules used to be interpreted that the QB had to bring the ball up and definite throwing motion before spiking it. (Chest height maybe?) I see plenty now that look like a two hand basketball dribble. Those look more like a fumbled exchange than incomplete pass, IMO. 

By definition a pass is intentionally losing possession of the ball. If he receives the snap and immediately throws it to the ground it's a pass and thus legal. If he never gains possession of the snap it's a muff of a backward pass (the snap is by definition a backward pass) and thus wouldn't be considered a spike.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:29 AM, Muda69 said:

Hmm, I see no explanation as to why the changing of this rule to include the shotgun formation.  Handing more options and power to the offense, I guess.  After all high school needs more 74-66 gems.  That or we don't want the widdle shotgun quarterback having to actually have his hands in the vicinity of the offensive center's anus.  Yuck!

It was a logical change that should have been in the rules all along. It won't likely happen very often but there is no reason to not allow it. I've been working college football for several years where this rule existed, and i don't remember ever seeing it in one of my games.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, eschnur66 said:

Now, if we could just get them to allow the QB to throw the ball away when scrambling, I think we would be on to something!

It was up for final vote again this year, but I read in an officiating forum it failed 21-31. NFHS doesn't have a defined tackle box, but they do have a free blocking zone for when you can block in the back/below the waist. The problem is it only goes 3 yards behind the LOS so the QB would be out of it immediately in shot gun and almost as fast in a normal drop back. So the free blocking zone would either have to change or another area would have to be defined. The NFHS rules committee also tries to keep things balanced sometimes to a fault (i.e. no auto first down for DPI because OPI isn't a loss of down). Many feel allowing the QB to legally dump the ball isn't fair to the defense and there isn't something they could give them that is equivalent.