Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

XFL

Coach_K

I personally thought the XFL was pretty entertaining.  I like many of the rule changes and transparency.  The speed of the game was great and it felt like there weren't too many commercial breaks.

The product on the field was much different.  There is a clear drop off from the NFL to the XFL (Lots of dropped passes and too many missed tackles just to name a couple).  I think it will be a fun season, serve as a NFL minor league, and I hope it will stick around for some time.

Thoughts????

agree,  was at coaching clinic this weekend, so was able to watch bits and pieces, but a few things that stuck out for me:

Mic'd up everyone, that was great, love the cordinators/HC mic'd up on the play calls. 

Interviewing the kicker after missing, ha

Physicality of the Safeties playing downhill without worry of penalty. 

LOVE LOVE LOVE the kickoff rule. 

1 hour ago, qbcoach13 said:

No, the kicker has to kick the ball beyond the 20 yard line. If it does not make it there or the ball is kicked out of bounds the ball is placed at the 45. I believe the onside kick has been replaced with the 4th and 15 on your own 30 yard line. 

I checked and the team kicking off has to declare that they will kick on side.  No more surprise on side kicks, but I liked how the kick off were done.

Entertaining for sure and I really liked what they did with kick-offs and liked the punt rule of not allowing the ball to go out bounds inside the 20.  Not sure that I am crazy about the 24 second play clock, pretty much forces teams to  go no huddle or not audible

if they call it in the huddle.  Overall an entertaining product and I suspect the play will get better as the players play more ball.  Some of them really haven't played in games in years.

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

This could be interesting.....Oliver Luck indicating the XFL could go after college underclassmen.  This could be an option for players that really don't desire to go to college to play ball....and if good enough, could start earning a paycheck....at least a legitimate one.......

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/xfl/2020/02/12/xfl-oliver-luck-teams-could-sign-college-freshmen-sophomores/4736646002/

I love this idea. The only reason these kids don’t have a shot at the NFL is a provision in the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players. Other kids their age have the right to go out in the world and try their hand at their chosen pursuit. Why shouldn’t they?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I love this idea. The only reason these kids don’t have a shot at the NFL is a provision in the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players. Other kids their age have the right to go out in the world and try their hand at their chosen pursuit. Why shouldn’t they?

My concern would be the physicality of professional football over high school football.  Will an 18-19 year old body be able to hold up for an entire season? 

What position would be the easiest to transition from HS to XFL?

Personally, I think WR or DB.  Physically they could be comparable.  Mentally the OC or DC will be in their ear telling them what to do up until the snap so not too much you have to learn.

1 hour ago, Coach_K said:

My concern would be the physicality of professional football over high school football.  Will an 18-19 year old body be able to hold up for an entire season? 

I share that concern. But so would the free market. Teams will be unlikely to invest in a player they don’t think can stand up physically.

We watched the Houston/L.A. game.  It was interesting.  For a quarter and a half it looked like L.A. had control.  Then Houston took over.  Thought it was a bit weird that the Colts cut Walker and he is now the starting QB for Houston.  He threw (I think) 5 TD passes against L.A.  While the overall play isn't the caliber of the NFL, it is a great substitute in the NFL off season.  I expect it will be a success and in a few years they will expand to 12 teams.  Loved the kickoff format, but not such a fan of the extra points.  I guess I couldn't get used to receiving 9 points for a TD (6 for the TD and then 3 extra points for the try from the 10 yard line).  I will admit it IS different.  I could see some kind of "merger" in the future, but not to the extent of the old NFL and AFLtype merger.  I believe the XFL could become like the Minor leagues in baseball or the G league in the NBA.  Something like that.

• Like 1