Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Radtke hired as new Portage Head Coach

Statement from Portage High School Athletic Director Fred Joseph:

Portage High School Athletic Director Fred Joseph released the following statement regarding the hiring of Russ Radtke

"On behalf of Portage High School we are proud to announce the hiring of Russ Radtke as the head football coach for the upcoming 2020-2021 season. We were overwhelmed with the amount of interest expressed for the position, as well as the number of quality applicants, and we thank all those who took the time to apply. Coach Radtke’s experience and proven success could not be overlooked. We believe Coach Radtke embodies the very essence of Portage High School and its community, with an emphasis on instilling the virtues of Loyalty, Pride and Dedication (LPD). Coach Radtke has managed to foster and cultivate a winning mentality everywhere he’s been, as evident with his accolades. Coach Radtke is #2 on the all-time winningest current coaches list with 368 victories, and he has led programs to 4 Semi-State titles as well as the 1997 State Championship with Griffith High School."

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Now we will see if the culture at Portage is ready for a change that will restore this once great program. Because whether they know it or not, Hell is coming to breakfast.

It should be interesting although last couple times I was on their sidelines noticed a slightly different demeanor.  

1 hour ago, Indian72 said:

It should be interesting although last couple times I was on their sidelines noticed a slightly different demeanor.  

I wonder if he is leaving New Prairie because he felt like he had to have a different demeanor there, while he can be more Radtke-like at Portage.  Just speculating.

I've admired Coach Radke for years but never been on staff with him.  Every story I've gathered from opposing coaches, every old article from Northwest Indiana Times or Region Sports Network, paints a picture of a extremely passionate individual that pushes his staff and players to the limits.  You could easily suspect the man of being some sort of tyrant.  Then you talk to players who have played for him or coaches that have coached under him, and they are all FERVENT Coach Radke supporters.   It will be interesting to see how fast he can turn Portage around, which of his longtime staff members of his staff will go with him,  and what "Vibe" he chooses to exude at this stop.  Is the old dog learning new tricks late in his career?    Does anyone know if he will have some sort of position in the school during the day?  

1 minute ago, Indian72 said:

Maybe red metallic with gold flecks in them

Beyond the color schemes, I think Rusty's hire has the potential to shift the whole  paradigm.  I think the Indians have the potential to compete for the DAC title every year, they also could make a serious run in the tourney.

18 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

I've admired Coach Radke for years but never been on staff with him.  Every story I've gathered from opposing coaches, every old article from Northwest Indiana Times or Region Sports Network, paints a picture of a extremely passionate individual that pushes his staff and players to the limits.  You could easily suspect the man of being some sort of tyrant.  Then you talk to players who have played for him or coaches that have coached under him, and they are all FERVENT Coach Radke supporters.   It will be interesting to see how fast he can turn Portage around, which of his longtime staff members of his staff will go with him,  and what "Vibe" he chooses to exude at this stop.  Is the old dog learning new tricks late in his career?    Does anyone know if he will have some sort of position in the school during the day?  

Does he currently teach at new prairie or have an administrative role?

25 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

One player at New Prairie didn't hold back 

24 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Beyond the color schemes, I think Rusty's hire has the potential to shift the whole  paradigm.  I think the Indians have the potential to compete for the DAC title every year, they also could make a serious run in the tourney.

I know next to nothing about Portage.  Do they have the athletes to compete with the MIC schools in the tourney? And how do they match up with the Ft. Wayne schools?

4 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Russell Radtke
Attendance Officer/Head Football Coach

Phone: 574-654-7271 or 219-778-2215
rradtke@npusc.k12.in.us

Attendance Officer/Head Football Coach may be the best title I have ever seen. Where do I sign up for that? 

• Like 3